I'm going to wait.

It's just my techie side trying to over power my logical side.
    08-02-2010 10:20 AM
    Honest question here: what is out there that is so important or cool that people risk bricking their phones to jailbreak? Are you after something in particular poisoned10?
    08-02-2010 10:23 AM
    Honest question here: what is out there that is so important or cool that people risk bricking their phones to jailbreak? Are you after something in particular poisoned10?
    Jailbreaking before iOS4, for me, was mainly for multitasking and things of that nature.

But now it's for more minor things. Such as: being able to change ringtones and a few of the apps available.
    08-02-2010 10:32 AM
    Jailbreaking before iOS4, for me, was mainly for multitasking and things of that nature.

But now it's for more minor things. Such as: being able to change ringtones and a few of the apps available.

you can make custom ringtones without jailbreaking your phone just so you know.
    08-02-2010 10:54 AM
    you can make custom ringtones without jailbreaking your phone just so you know.

Correct.

Actually, what I meant was custom SMS tones. I've had 2 that I've used over the last 5 or 6 years that I love.

Besides, I get tired of checking my phone for a message when someone else's iPhone within a few feet of me goes off.
    08-02-2010 11:01 AM
    So let me make sure I understand something:

When you get the screen that shows the usb cable to connect to iTunes, that means the phone is in 'recovery' mode and when it's a blank screen it's in 'DFU' mode?

I don't know exactly what I did different to put it into DFU mode instead of recovery mode. Actually, I was trying to get the screen back with the usb cable and got the blank screen instead and decided to leave it that way and try it.
    08-02-2010 11:06 AM
    Besides, I get tired of checking my phone for a message when someone else's iPhone within a few feet of me goes off.
    agreed. it never gets old though.

*phone rings*

everyone with an iphone reaches for the pocket or purse.
    08-02-2010 11:12 AM
    Just to throw in a "me too" post, I had the exact same experience as the original poster. I ran the jailbreak on my iPhone4, and all was well. The Cydia servers were of course overloaded, so I kept retrying a few installs of basic apps like SBSettings. What I really wanted to try was MyWi. MyWi requires Rock, so I kept retrying the MyWi install or independent RockApp install until it eventually downloaded. MyWi requires RockID to be working, and Rock requires each RockID be unique per device. So I signed up for a new RockID, which prompted a reboot. Not sure why. The iPhone froze at the apple logo and never came out of it, even after an hour of forced reboots. It also wouldn't stay in DFU mode. Eventually I got iTunes to detect the phone in DFU mode, and the restore went fine.

I'm really looking forward to a few basic jailbreak apps, but I think I'll wait a few more days for things to stabilize.
    08-02-2010 01:05 PM
    I would wait until we are hearing 100% success from all jailbreakers. Right now there are too many people with too many problems.
    Alli,

That's pretty optimistic. I don't think you will EVER have 100% success. We all know that if there's a way someone can screw it up they probably will.

I'm trying to figure out my threshold for making the jump back to jb this time with my iP4. It sounds like the face time and mms stuff is solved. Once I hear that Cydia is stable and the jb apps I want are compatible, I think I'm in.
    08-02-2010 02:52 PM
    I just don't understand jailbreaking. My understanding from before was that it allowed multitasking and changing wallpapers or something like that. I know the thing with SMS, but honestly, I have my ringtones set and when I hear "It's 5:00 Somehwere" coming out of my pocket or purse, I KNOW it's my phone ringing. I also have my MMS set to chime instead of the default. Most people keep the default so I always know it's me. I just don't think it's worth it, the risk of bricking the phone and voiding the warranty. I love playing with techy stuff, though, so if I'm missing something... well, never mind. I probably don't want to know what I'm missing so I won't be tempted! LOL!
    08-02-2010 04:39 PM
    there's something up with Rock for sure because i had issues with it as well. No brick but after removing it i have longer boot times where the phone gets stuck in apple logo mode for longer
    08-02-2010 07:21 PM
    did the jailbreak on my iPhone 4 last night, but decided to restore to factory settings after a few hours. Now its stuck on the "restoring iphone software" in iTunes. The "connect to iTunes" logo is on my phone from the moment I power it up. I've tried restoring about 7 times today, and it does the same thing every time. Any advice on how to fix this? I know others have said they restored their phones with no problem. It goes through the process of restoring it, but just stops 3/4 of the way there...like its still loading, but nothing is happening.
    08-02-2010 10:32 PM
    Bricked mine today, was installing Winterboard and it flashed off, next thing I know, it wont leave the apple logo screen.

Having the hardest time restoring it right now, trying to download 4.0.1 and restore but not having luck. Have a $500 paperweight at the moment.
    08-04-2010 04:53 PM
    @j0hnnyRingo

Just put ur phone into DFU mode and restore as new thru iTunes. It may take a few times to get into dfu mode
    08-04-2010 04:58 PM
    Hey I'm really glad your iPhone is okay! I don't know what I'd do if my baby did that! For what it's worth I have jailbroken my iPhone 4 and it works perfectly. I haven't got a grasp of themes, winterboard yet as when I install a theme it just springboards and goes back to normal!
    08-05-2010 06:06 AM
    Hey I'm really glad your iPhone is okay! I don't know what I'd do if my baby did that! For what it's worth I have jailbroken my iPhone 4 and it works perfectly. I haven't got a grasp of themes, winterboard yet as when I install a theme it just springboards and goes back to normal!
    It was a scary time for sure.

I have since re-jailbroke it and everything is going fine, so far.

I think mine crashed because I was downloading some apps and as they were downloading/installing I was trying to browse the internet. Not very wise on my part.
    08-05-2010 09:52 AM
    with all these horror stories im glad mine worked...
    08-05-2010 04:15 PM
    Rock seems to be a major cause of a lot of these "brick makers". My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and I haven't had any issues yet. I also don't have Rock on my phone.

The only issue I suffered was trying to restore my old 3GS to get it ready for sale. I had to try the DFU mode 5 or 6 times before it took.

And like a previous poster, I JB for custom SMS tones.

<insert Sega tag here>
    08-05-2010 07:18 PM
    I jailbroke for lock info. I. Like the quick look of email weather and calendar from the lock screen.
    08-08-2010 09:09 AM
    I have a JB'n 3G 8G iOS4.0 RUNNS GREAT... I'll TRADE your for your "BROKEN/BRICKED" iphone4 !

My advice... B-4 you JB, READ...READ...READ... If you JB with sn0wbreeze, DO NOT load ROCK... Many, many conflicts with Cydia...
    Last edited by IGoSlo; 08-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    08-09-2010 09:15 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD