Bricked iPhone 4?

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah...

Well it was on the screen showing the USB to iTunes icon.

It is currently on a blank screen. Only a few seconds left and I will find out if it worked or not.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
So far, it seems to be going through the restore process.

The iOS software finished downloading and it's saying preparing to restore.

I now have the Apple logo with the status bar underneath. Hopefully, this is working!

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I have SUPER EXCELLENTLY GREAT NEWS and I have bad news.

The SUPER EXCELLENTLY GREAT NEWS IS: I have managed to get my iPhone back up and running.

The bad news is: I am such an EXTREMELY hard headed person that I am actually considering re-jailbreaking my iP4.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I would wait until we are hearing 100% success from all jailbreakers. Right now there are too many people with too many problems.

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Alli , I really want to JB mine right now but am going to wait until the get some more of the bugs out .

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Honest question here: what is out there that is so important or cool that people risk bricking their phones to jailbreak? Are you after something in particular poisoned10?

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Honest question here: what is out there that is so important or cool that people risk bricking their phones to jailbreak? Are you after something in particular poisoned10?

Jailbreaking before iOS4, for me, was mainly for multitasking and things of that nature.

But now it's for more minor things. Such as: being able to change ringtones and a few of the apps available.

spcm0012

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreaking before iOS4, for me, was mainly for multitasking and things of that nature.

But now it's for more minor things. Such as: being able to change ringtones and a few of the apps available.

you can make custom ringtones without jailbreaking your phone just so you know.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
you can make custom ringtones without jailbreaking your phone just so you know.

Correct.

Actually, what I meant was custom SMS tones. I've had 2 that I've used over the last 5 or 6 years that I love.

Besides, I get tired of checking my phone for a message when someone else's iPhone within a few feet of me goes off.

poisoned10

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
So let me make sure I understand something:

When you get the screen that shows the usb cable to connect to iTunes, that means the phone is in 'recovery' mode and when it's a blank screen it's in 'DFU' mode?

I don't know exactly what I did different to put it into DFU mode instead of recovery mode. Actually, I was trying to get the screen back with the usb cable and got the blank screen instead and decided to leave it that way and try it.

nickdiaz#IM

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Just to throw in a "me too" post, I had the exact same experience as the original poster. I ran the jailbreak on my iPhone4, and all was well. The Cydia servers were of course overloaded, so I kept retrying a few installs of basic apps like SBSettings. What I really wanted to try was MyWi. MyWi requires Rock, so I kept retrying the MyWi install or independent RockApp install until it eventually downloaded. MyWi requires RockID to be working, and Rock requires each RockID be unique per device. So I signed up for a new RockID, which prompted a reboot. Not sure why. The iPhone froze at the apple logo and never came out of it, even after an hour of forced reboots. It also wouldn't stay in DFU mode. Eventually I got iTunes to detect the phone in DFU mode, and the restore went fine.

I'm really looking forward to a few basic jailbreak apps, but I think I'll wait a few more days for things to stabilize.

pilotnh

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I would wait until we are hearing 100% success from all jailbreakers. Right now there are too many people with too many problems.

Alli,

That's pretty optimistic. I don't think you will EVER have 100% success. We all know that if there's a way someone can screw it up they probably will.

I'm trying to figure out my threshold for making the jump back to jb this time with my iP4. It sounds like the face time and mms stuff is solved. Once I hear that Cydia is stable and the jb apps I want are compatible, I think I'm in.

ladytonya

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I just don't understand jailbreaking. My understanding from before was that it allowed multitasking and changing wallpapers or something like that. I know the thing with SMS, but honestly, I have my ringtones set and when I hear "It's 5:00 Somehwere" coming out of my pocket or purse, I KNOW it's my phone ringing. I also have my MMS set to chime instead of the default. Most people keep the default so I always know it's me. I just don't think it's worth it, the risk of bricking the phone and voiding the warranty. I love playing with techy stuff, though, so if I'm missing something... well, never mind. I probably don't want to know what I'm missing so I won't be tempted! LOL!

newiphoneuser

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
there's something up with Rock for sure because i had issues with it as well. No brick but after removing it i have longer boot times where the phone gets stuck in apple logo mode for longer

tylerluke

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
did the jailbreak on my iPhone 4 last night, but decided to restore to factory settings after a few hours. Now its stuck on the "restoring iphone software" in iTunes. The "connect to iTunes" logo is on my phone from the moment I power it up. I've tried restoring about 7 times today, and it does the same thing every time. Any advice on how to fix this? I know others have said they restored their phones with no problem. It goes through the process of restoring it, but just stops 3/4 of the way there...like its still loading, but nothing is happening.

thebeags

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Bricked mine today, was installing Winterboard and it flashed off, next thing I know, it wont leave the apple logo screen.

Having the hardest time restoring it right now, trying to download 4.0.1 and restore but not having luck. Have a $500 paperweight at the moment.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
@j0hnnyRingo

Just put ur phone into DFU mode and restore as new thru iTunes. It may take a few times to get into dfu mode

hdesmond

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey I'm really glad your iPhone is okay! I don't know what I'd do if my baby did that! For what it's worth I have jailbroken my iPhone 4 and it works perfectly. I haven't got a grasp of themes, winterboard yet as when I install a theme it just springboards and goes back to normal!