JB Iphone 3g bricked, HELP!!

Bonapartist

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, this is my first post. I posted my problems on another forum which seemed to have run out of ideas. So here's my situation, an unfortunate one. I jailbroke my Iphone about 3/4 of a year ago on my old Dell XPS tower, which has all my backups. The computer has been out of commission for about a half year, I've been using my brother.

So basically I haven't changed music or had anything to do with Itunes on the computer for about a half year. It hasn't even really been an issue. So in anticipation of buying one of the 200 dollar acer netbooks at Target, I installed MiWi through Cydia
Miwi works beautifully at first, tethers fine, I manage to get a 280 ping on Red Orchestra even. The problem is the program refused to stop tethering after trying to activated tethering an deactivate through the button. Just stuck. So I do just power down the phone and try to restart it. OOPS. Now the phone refuses to boot, sim card in or out. It's been 2 or 3 days so the Iphone isn't just "thinking about it" gettings its stuff together. Either freezes at apple logo, or goes to apple logo for 15 seconds and then blacks out.

I have another computer I can install Itunes on for the fix. After installing Itunes on the system, I plug in the phone only to see that both windows and Itunes refuse to see it as a phone, or as anything. No signs of life, except the Iphone starts up, sits on the Apple screen for a long time, then quits. Someone suggested tiny umbrella, but that isn't going to help I don't think if the computer doesn't even see the phone.

I literally just want my phone back, am completely willing to forego jailbreaking for the time being. I just want it to work again. Help me, please! I can only imagine the calls from family members, friends, and the goddamn bank that I've missed because of this.

Please guys I really need a hand.

Bonapartist

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
That's what I mean, I can't. Plugging in the phone gets absolutely no reaction out of windows or Itunes or tinyumbrella, they all have no idea that there's a phone present.

I couldn't care less about jailbreaking right now, I just want my phone working.

Bonapartist

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Rdiddy, I owe you a drink. Someone on the other forum was trying to get to the same end, but didn't call it by its name and the instructions they gave to reach DFU mode didn't work for me. Now I'm in DFU and restoring my Iphone 3G 8gb.

Funny, as I'm restoring it, I'm thinking to myself immediately "now when am I going to jailbreak this again, and is it possible with the newest OS Apple is installing on it?" Guess I was full of it when I said I couldnt' care less about jailbreaking.. Ha. Again, thanks so much Rdiddy.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Rdiddy, I owe you a drink. Someone on the other forum was trying to get to the same end, but didn't call it by its name and the instructions they gave to reach DFU mode didn't work for me. Now I'm in DFU and restoring my Iphone 3G 8gb.

Funny, as I'm restoring it, I'm thinking to myself immediately "now when am I going to jailbreak this again, and is it possible with the newest OS Apple is installing on it?" Guess I was full of it when I said I couldnt' care less about jailbreaking.. Ha. Again, thanks so much Rdiddy.

Yep it is, use redsnow to cook the firmware, then shift click on restore and point to the cooked firmware

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
No problem. Glad it worked out. Since you have a 3g not 3gs u can downgrade to 3.1.2/3.1.3 and be able to rejailbreak ur iPhone again. There are a few step by step guides out there and some here to. Just be sure to read carefully and you'll be fine. Good luck

Bonapartist

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Damn now I'm getting a 1603 error, it says it can't restore my Iphone.

Oi. Looking into this problem now, if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it.

Tried restoring two more times, first time got the same error, second time it worked! My only problem is, I told Itunes to not sync jack crap (addresses, contacts, programs) - I assumed that it would just load up all the contacts from the SIM card, but instead the address book is completely empty.

Is there any way to recover the contacts that were on my phone before? Damn I hope so.

Edit thanks to Rdiddy's help, I have most of my contacts restored! Repped, and thanks so much.

Now why the hell does the Appstore want me to pay for games which have already been purchased on my Itunes account? You do OWN them essentially for life after you purchase them once right? I want dragonslair, damnit.

Last edited:

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Now why the hell does the Appstore want me to pay for games which have already been purchased on my Itunes account? You do OWN them essentially for life after you purchase them once right? I want dragonslair, damnit.

Just act like you are buying them again. As long as its the same itunes account it wont charge you and you can download them again

Bonapartist

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Just act like you are buying them again. As long as its the same itunes account it wont charge you and you can download them again

That's what I thought. I know for certain I'm logged into the right account, but for the sparse handfull of programs I've bought, the icon still says "buy it" or whatever it says.

Thanks for the help of this community, alot better than modmyi

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it will still say "buy" but when you actually download you will get a message saying "you already purchaed that item, to download it for free tap ok" or something like that.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2