I had my iphone 3g jail broken from when I bought it but hardly used the jail broken bit so thought I would just upgrade to the new software 4.0.1. The problem is it was also unlocked thru that so now I cant activate the phone as it says I dont have the correct sim card. Is there anything I can do? Like can I downgrade or anything?
    07-23-2010 01:29 PM
    If you have your SHSH's backed up you can downgrade to a previous OS and re-jailbreak and unlock, if not, you have to wait for the new jailbreak to be released which by the talk of the web should be very very soon.
    07-23-2010 01:42 PM
    im guessing i dont as i have no idea what SHSH's are :-(
    07-23-2010 01:43 PM
    What Carrier are you on?
    07-23-2010 02:16 PM
    *sigh* The iPhone 3G does NOT use SHSH's for firmwares prior to 4.0 and 4.0.1.

With a proper version of iTunes you should be able to easily downgrade to 3.1.2 ( so you can hacktivate ) and create a custom firmware that is jailbroken and then install ultrasn0w to unlock the device.
    07-23-2010 04:14 PM
    *sigh* The iPhone 3G does NOT use SHSH's for firmwares prior to 4.0 and 4.0.1.

With a proper version of iTunes you should be able to easily downgrade to 3.1.2 ( so you can hacktivate ) and create a custom firmware that is jailbroken and then install ultrasn0w to unlock the device.
    Indeed. I have up/downgraded my 3G many times. Only thing I noticed is that I downgraded from 4.0 and Cydia was changed to save blobs and I am on 3.1.2 and it says it has my blobs saved for 4.0.
    07-23-2010 10:56 PM
    Thanks very much people, Im hoping I can get this sorted. Ill give you as much info as I can and Im hoping you can help me out - I really have very little knowledge about this kind of thing.
    I have the latest ITunes installed. My iphone if an 8gb 3g and Im on o2 (UK). I got the phone on eBay about a year ago.
    I have been looking around for help with this and I found this page (Downgrade iPhone 3G & 3GS From iOS 4 To 3.1.2). I do all it says but my phone sticks in recovery mode and I cant get it out of it tried the program it says to use but it wont open on my computer (windows 7)

Can anyone help me here?
    07-24-2010 04:46 AM
    I have tried everything I can to get my phone working again but its just more than I can do :-( I think Im going to have to wait until the jailbreak can be done on this 4.2 that I think Im on
    07-24-2010 07:56 AM
    Try using sn0wbreeze to create a custom firmware that is already activated for your 3G. That might work. If not find a friend with a Mac and get them to create one for you using pwnage tool.
    07-24-2010 09:51 AM
    I have used sn0wbreeze to create one using the 4.0 and the 3.1.2 softwares but I cant get what is creted onto my iphone? It just comes up after a minute or so there was an error restoring your iphone.
    Completly lost lol is there a step by step guide I can follow out there? I have tried finding one but cant get any for someone that has upgraded and found that they cant activate. The downgrading walkthroughs I cant seem to work either, the phone stays in restore mode and dont come out of it?
    07-24-2010 10:02 AM
    The downgrading walkthroughs I cant seem to work either, the phone stays in restore mode and dont come out of it?
    iRecovery
    07-24-2010 10:17 AM
    iRecovery does not work, on either my pc (windows 7) or my laptop (XP) I install the libusb file and then run iRecovery but nothing happens, a black screen pops up for less than a second and goes away again? And after I restart my mouse or no other USB devices work so I have to do a system restore?
    Im completely lost here and have no phone for for 3 days! Can anyone help before I go mad lol
    Last edited by spud5437; 07-26-2010 at 08:30 AM.
    07-26-2010 05:43 AM
    Downgrade your version of iTunes first. Try going to 9.0 or something lower than that. You'll have to google around to find previous versions of iTunes. Once you've uninstalled your curent iTunes and installed the previous version, you SHOULD be able to get that "cooked" firmware onto your 3G
    07-26-2010 09:00 AM
    Here's a link to download different versions of iTunes. Hope this helps
    Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com
    07-26-2010 11:15 AM
    iRecovery does not work, on either my pc (windows 7) or my laptop (XP) I install the libusb file and then run iRecovery but nothing happens, a black screen pops up for less than a second and goes away again? And after I restart my mouse or no other USB devices work so I have to do a system restore?
    Im completely lost here and have no phone for for 3 days! Can anyone help before I go mad lol
    You dont click irecovery like that to open it...

Click start then run (or just type in the spot right above the start button on win7)then type "cmd" and push enter

Then change the dierctory to where you saved irecovery by typing in without quotes "cd .." "cd .." (that goes up a folder in the command prompt)

I had mine just saved on the c drive so for me it was "cd .." "cd .." (that got me from c\docandsettings to c

Then cd irecovery

then cd irecover_svn
    then ya type in the command box "irecovery" and it'll tell ya how to use it
    07-26-2010 11:18 AM
    Thanks everyone so so much! I have it up and going again now, bit disappoint I cant update to the new software (I didnt know that was why my phone was jailbroken) but Im more than happy to have it going again.
    Thanks again everyone for your time and patience and if your every in Ireland message me and Ill give you a pint or whatever you drink! :-)
    Last edited by spud5437; 07-26-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    07-26-2010 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD