Redsn0w Beta for 3G iPhone iOS4? Tethering?

RiverSong

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I am in desperate need to tether between my laptop and iPhone, but I don't have the cash flow for the extra $20 a month for the AT&T fees.

A friend informed me I would be able to tether after jailbreaking my phone. I did a little research and redsn0w popped up. Now I know it's still in beta, so I was unsure if it's safe for me to JB. Is it? Not too many problems?

Is tethering something that is normally unlocked after JB, or do I have to do something extra? Is it safe? If I were only to do regular browsing and email, would AT&T catch me?

Sorry, I'm sure you get these questions all the time.

Any help is very appreciated! :p

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There are a few ways to tether on a j/b iPhone. The question is not "is Redsn0w safe," (it's not in beta), the question is - what kind of iPhone do you have, and what firmware is it on - that determines whether or not you can perform a jailbreak.

RiverSong

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There are a few ways to tether on a j/b iPhone. The question is not "is Redsn0w safe," (it's not in beta), the question is - what kind of iPhone do you have, and what firmware is it on - that determines whether or not you can perform a jailbreak.

My specs were in the header, but I probably should have listed them again. I'm using an iPhone 3G running IOS 4.0. Was I wrong about redsn0w? I thought the release for the IOS 4 firmware was still in beta.

I'm looking for the least $$ way to tether. I saw MyWi for $10, but I'm hoping there's a way to go about this without adding on to my iPhone bills.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
My specs were in the header, but I probably should have listed them again. I'm using an iPhone 3G running IOS 4.0. Was I wrong about redsn0w? I thought the release for the IOS 4 firmware was still in beta.

I'm looking for the least $$ way to tether. I saw MyWi for $10, but I'm hoping there's a way to go about this without adding on to my iPhone bills.

MyWi is a one time payment. I use it daily and it works great. You can tether via wifi or usb.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
And yes, with the 3G you should have a few j/b options. MyWi is a great app & worth the money, and as long as you are judicious in your data use, AT&T won't charge you extra.

RiverSong

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
And yes, with the 3G you should have a few j/b options. MyWi is a great app & worth the money, and as long as you are judicious in your data use, AT&T won't charge you extra.

Thank you for the help, I have decided to try MyWi once I jailbreak.

But I do have one more question! Redsn0w has asked me to locate my iOS 4 firmware software, and I can't find it anywhere. Is it because I updated my iPhone through iTunes? I'm not sure what I should do. . .:confused:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Go to the sticky thread in the jailbreak forum and follow the instructions there on jailbreaking.

white573

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
If you haven't succeded yet and you are using a pc try using firefox to download your firmware I know redsnow version .8 had me stumped for awile for some reason ie extracts the files automatically

RiverSong

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't succeded yet and you are using a pc try using firefox to download your firmware I know redsnow version .8 had me stumped for awile for some reason ie extracts the files automatically

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm downloading the iOS 4 firmware .ipsw file as I type. I'll just stick it in my Library and hope redsn0w acknowledges it.

*crosses fingers*