I am in desperate need to tether between my laptop and iPhone, but I don't have the cash flow for the extra $20 a month for the AT&T fees.

A friend informed me I would be able to tether after jailbreaking my phone. I did a little research and redsn0w popped up. Now I know it's still in beta, so I was unsure if it's safe for me to JB. Is it? Not too many problems?

Is tethering something that is normally unlocked after JB, or do I have to do something extra? Is it safe? If I were only to do regular browsing and email, would AT&T catch me?

Sorry, I'm sure you get these questions all the time.

Any help is very appreciated!
    07-22-2010 10:27 PM
    There are a few ways to tether on a j/b iPhone. The question is not "is Redsn0w safe," (it's not in beta), the question is - what kind of iPhone do you have, and what firmware is it on - that determines whether or not you can perform a jailbreak.
    07-23-2010 12:17 AM
    There are a few ways to tether on a j/b iPhone. The question is not "is Redsn0w safe," (it's not in beta), the question is - what kind of iPhone do you have, and what firmware is it on - that determines whether or not you can perform a jailbreak.
    My specs were in the header, but I probably should have listed them again. I'm using an iPhone 3G running IOS 4.0. Was I wrong about redsn0w? I thought the release for the IOS 4 firmware was still in beta.

I'm looking for the least $$ way to tether. I saw MyWi for $10, but I'm hoping there's a way to go about this without adding on to my iPhone bills.
    07-23-2010 01:20 AM
    My specs were in the header, but I probably should have listed them again. I'm using an iPhone 3G running IOS 4.0. Was I wrong about redsn0w? I thought the release for the IOS 4 firmware was still in beta.

I'm looking for the least $$ way to tether. I saw MyWi for $10, but I'm hoping there's a way to go about this without adding on to my iPhone bills.
    MyWi is a one time payment. I use it daily and it works great. You can tether via wifi or usb.
    07-23-2010 08:50 AM
    And yes, with the 3G you should have a few j/b options. MyWi is a great app & worth the money, and as long as you are judicious in your data use, AT&T won't charge you extra.
    07-23-2010 09:51 AM
    And yes, with the 3G you should have a few j/b options. MyWi is a great app & worth the money, and as long as you are judicious in your data use, AT&T won't charge you extra.
    Thank you for the help, I have decided to try MyWi once I jailbreak.

But I do have one more question! Redsn0w has asked me to locate my iOS 4 firmware software, and I can't find it anywhere. Is it because I updated my iPhone through iTunes? I'm not sure what I should do. . .
    07-25-2010 07:07 PM
    Go to the sticky thread in the jailbreak forum and follow the instructions there on jailbreaking.
    07-25-2010 07:30 PM
    If you haven't succeded yet and you are using a pc try using firefox to download your firmware I know redsnow version .8 had me stumped for awile for some reason ie extracts the files automatically
    07-25-2010 08:45 PM
    If you haven't succeded yet and you are using a pc try using firefox to download your firmware I know redsnow version .8 had me stumped for awile for some reason ie extracts the files automatically
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm downloading the iOS 4 firmware .ipsw file as I type. I'll just stick it in my Library and hope redsn0w acknowledges it.

*crosses fingers*
    07-25-2010 08:56 PM
    let us know how it goes for I believe it should work w/o problems
    07-25-2010 09:14 PM
    let us know how it goes for I believe it should work w/o problems
    It worked! Just placed the .ipsw file into "Iphone Software Updates" and pointed redsn0w in its direction. : )

Thanks! I'm now jailbroken.
    07-25-2010 09:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD