Hello everyone..

My friend asked me to Jailbreak his Ipod touch, (2nd Generation, MC model, 3.1.3) and I've been trying to figure something out for the last few hours. His Ipod has been running a bit slow as of late, so I had planned on doing a restore before I jailbroke it. The problem was, Itunes kept telling me that "the Ipod is not eligible for the requested build" or something like that. Apparently, Apple doesn't support the software (3.1.3) anymore or something. Around here, I started reading things that mentioned "blob files". I have no idea what they are, and I'm a bit nervous to proceed until I figure them out.

My original plan was to upgrade to 4.0, and then downgrade to 3.1.2, but I'm not so sure what to do anymore. Any help would be appreciated! (It hasn't been upgraded to 4.0 yet.)
    07-08-2010 11:22 PM
    Sounds like never jailbroken so you dont have SHSH saved anywhere. You can only restore official 4.0 and wait now.
    07-09-2010 10:10 AM
    I upgraded mine to the official 4.0, but then somewhere I found a restore file for 3.12 (or 3.13, can't remember) and used RedSn0w to jailbreak using the downloaded restore point. If you do that, you should probably be able to do the same thing I did, cuz now I have a jailbroken 4.0, and it works well.
    07-09-2010 11:34 AM
    Try installing a version of itunes prior to 9.2. That should let you install 3.1.3. The iPod Touch 2G doesn't have SHSH blobs, that's just the 3rd gen.
    07-09-2010 11:47 AM
    Try installing a version of itunes prior to 9.2. That should let you install 3.1.3. The iPod Touch 2G doesn't have SHSH blobs, that's just the 3rd gen.
    Im wondering if they dont know what gen touch it is? They said in the orig post:

The problem was, Itunes kept telling me that "the Ipod is not eligible for the requested build" or something like that.
    07-09-2010 12:09 PM
    Well, if they are running iTunes 9.2 I believe that trying to restore to 3.1.3 or prior on anything other than an iPhone 2G will result in that message or something similar. They should try to dowgrade to a previous version of iTunes ( 9.0 perhaps ) and try that first.
    07-09-2010 12:12 PM
    Alright, well, as far as I am aware, all 8gb models are 2nd generation. The difference is whether they are MC models or not. Using a prior version of Itunes was the first thing I tried, but it gave me the message I mentioned below. (I should have said this earlier... Itunes 9.0 gave me the build request error, not 9.2) Itunes 9.2 will only let me restore and upgrade to 4.0. No, this Ipod has never been jailbroken.

About these SHSH blobs. If they are there, I assume I can still save them?
    07-09-2010 12:19 PM
    Alright, well, as far as I am aware, all 8gb models are 2nd generation. The difference is whether they are MC models or not. Using a prior version of Itunes was the first thing I tried, but it gave me the message I mentioned below. (I should have said this earlier... Itunes 9.0 gave me the build request error, not 9.2) Itunes 9.2 will only let me restore and upgrade to 4.0. No, this Ipod has never been jailbroken.

About these SHSH blobs. If they are there, I assume I can still save them?
    SHSH blobs are unique to the device and the firmware they are needed for. You can only "save" the necessary SHSH blobs at a time that Apple is signing a particular firmware. For example, Apple is currently signing requests for iOS 4.0, but if you request a restore for 3.1.3 or 3.1.2, Apple will not sign it and send back an error code that gives you the "not eligible for the requested build" or something like that.

You can try putting the device into DFU before doing the shift+restore.
    07-09-2010 12:43 PM
    Alright.. I'll give that a shot. I'm guessing I'll need to locate the 3.1.3 firmware somewhere on the web? (Any idea where?) Also.. Which would yield better results.. Doing this in 9.2, or 9.0.
    07-09-2010 01:01 PM
    Trying to remember from memory, i have an iPhone not an iPod, but doesnt MC mean it has the hardware checks like the 3GS's do?
    07-09-2010 01:02 PM
    I'm not really sure.. As far as I knew, it was just there to disguise the model released with the 3rd generation versions.

Also, you posted just after me, so I'm not sure anyone saw my other message. I think I need to download the 3.1.3 software from somewhere to do a shift-restore. Any idea where? (As long as that's not against the rules to discuss.)
    07-09-2010 01:25 PM
    Alright... DFU mode and a shift restore to 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 brings up the error "the Ipod "Ipod" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

-_-
    07-09-2010 02:45 PM
    Where did you download the firmware from?

Try getting it from here: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    07-09-2010 02:56 PM
    I realized a few minutes ago that I had downloaded the Iphone version, not the Touch version. Anyway... I've got the right version now, and here's what happens:

I put the Ipod into DFU mode, and Itunes tells me it needs to be restored.
    Hold shift/click restore, select the 3.1.3 firmware, and hit open.
    It says "extracting software", then goes on to say "verifying Ipod restore with apple."
    After that finishes, I get the error "The Ipod "Ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

Any idea what that means?
    07-09-2010 03:37 PM
    I realized a few minutes ago that I had downloaded the Iphone version, not the Touch version. Anyway... I've got the right version now, and here's what happens:

I put the Ipod into DFU mode, and Itunes tells me it needs to be restored.
    Hold shift/click restore, select the 3.1.3 firmware, and hit open.
    It says "extracting software", then goes on to say "verifying Ipod restore with apple."
    After that finishes, I get the error "The Ipod "Ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).

Any idea what that means?
    Googling around indicates the MC model uses the verification found also in 3GS phones. Unless you have that shsh saved, you cannot go back to older firmware
    07-09-2010 03:55 PM
    I assume that includes not being able to restore your current software.
    07-09-2010 04:15 PM
    I assume that includes not being able to restore your current software.
    Correct. The only software that will not get that error is 4.0
    07-09-2010 04:21 PM
    Try it with 3.1.2 just for fun, but you might be out of luck until the new jailbreak is out.
    07-09-2010 04:23 PM
    Try it with 3.1.2 just for fun, but you might be out of luck until the new jailbreak is out.
    Wont work if it wont do 3.1.3 even without the SHSH.

It will contact apple.

Apple isnt signing anything but 4.0 now.

Game Over.
    07-09-2010 04:29 PM
    Game over man.. GAME OVER.

After trying just about everything, I went ahead and jailbroke it anyway with Spirit. It's still working like a brick (It's extremely sluggish) but it's jailbroken. I was planning on giving 3.1.2 a go, just for the fun of it anyway, so I'm downloading it.

But oh well.. Since all else has (probably) failed, It'll just be slow until the new Jailbreak is released. This sure was alot easier when I jailbroke my 1st generation touch 2 years ago.

Thanks a ton guys.
    07-09-2010 04:39 PM
    Oh wow... It's restoring to 3.1.2...
    07-09-2010 04:50 PM
    Oh wow... It's restoring to 3.1.2...
    and has it done the verification yet? Still gonna run into the same issue
    07-09-2010 06:05 PM
    Actually, it restored like a charm. It was halfway through the actual process on the Ipod when I posted that, and had already verified.
    07-09-2010 06:11 PM
    Actually, it restored like a charm. It was halfway through the actual process on the Ipod when I posted that, and had already verified.
    You're welcome

See, no harm in trying
    07-09-2010 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD