HOW TO: JB and Unlock 3GS New/Old Boot on iOS4

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
It would appear that someone has made an error here. The people on modmyi forums say that this method (well, not the same link but exactly the same steps) will ONLY work on old bootroms.

Reading through the posts, i see successes all from people with old bootrom, and 1600 failures (same as mine) from new bootroms.

So hopefully i can save people a good deal of time here - this WILL NOT work if you're on new bootrom, and take that as a fact until someone posts otherwise. I've spent about 4 hours on and off today whilst doing some work, i've tried just about every little tweak or alternative crap i could think of, and regardless of what happens, confirmed by at least 2 others, old bootrom'ers will get stuck in DFU mode after the reboot step, and attempting to restore to custom 4ios will give a 1600 error.

That is not correct. I am on an old bootrom, and i dont get stuck in dfu mode.

Step 9:

Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla. Default username/password combo is: ?root?/?alpine? (without the quotes)

Step 13:

Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:

When you are trying this, you need to restore back to a stock 3.1.3 and then jb it with spirit, then follow those steps. when you open mobile terminal, type "su root" and it will ask for a password. Type alpine (even tho it will look like its not typing, if it says $iphoneblahbla root# then it worked)

Then do the chmod and run the script. You are hitting DFU mode because the script isnt getting the correct permissions and the script kills the whole thing with the wrong permissions.

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
But it says that you have to downgrade first and I never saved my SHSH files.
So is it still possible to unlock my iphone 3gs with 4.0 new bootrom and I dont have SHSH files saved?

No, not currently. Asked and answered over a million times on the internet by now

bobdole3141

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
That is not correct. I am on an old bootrom, and i dont get stuck in dfu mode.

Step 9:

Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla. Default username/password combo is: ?root?/?alpine? (without the quotes)

Step 13:

Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:

When you are trying this, you need to restore back to a stock 3.1.3 and then jb it with spirit, then follow those steps. when you open mobile terminal, type "su root" and it will ask for a password. Type alpine (even tho it will look like its not typing, if it says $iphoneblahbla root# then it worked)

Then do the chmod and run the script. You are hitting DFU mode because the script isnt getting the correct permissions and the script kills the whole thing with the wrong permissions.

What do you mean "this is not correct, i am on old bootrom?" I said that it only WORKS for old bootroms. You have an old bootrom, it works for you.

I have 100% absolutely positively done the steps EXACTLY as shown on the guide, and EXACTLY as you have stated in my quote of your post. Not one time but about 16 times, and every single time i issue the reboot command only to get stuck in DFU mode.

The permissions of the files HAVE been modified, i repeat the script IS getting the correct permissions and succeeds. It simply won't reboot, and i suspect it's because i've got the new bootrom.

However Hack-My-I at the top of this page also gets 1600 error on old bootrom, so that is interesting. Does your phone reboot when you issue the reboot command, or does it get stuck in DFU mode too?

Unfortunately that doesn't help the people on this thread. We have our 3.1.3 blobs saved. If you have the old bootrom the guide at the OP seems to work more or less, and if you have the new bootrom, it doesn't work. :(

I would like a few more people with the new bootrom to test this method out and see if they get stuck in recovery mode after issuing the reboot command. I'm fairly sure this is old bootroms only.

-------

I got my iphone on the day of the 3.1.3 patch, didn't even realise it was happening when it said updating software. I could have so easily backed up my shsh if only i knew! fs!

Last edited:

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok... so I've installed the spirit2pwn patch from cydia. I am going to try this process... I'll update as I can.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
so a question while it cooks...

So while the 3.1.3ipsw is cooking... any input on this would be appreciated:
In another (redundant) thread, we began discussing this patch. It appears to install the spirit2pwn patch instead of me having to ssh/ sftp into the phone to do it myself. If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) where does anon think I should begin in the process.
Do we think that this patch has also installed the necessary portions of the cooked 3.1.3ipsw?
hmmmm.
any input would be appreciated.:confused::confused:

and heres the link to the referenced article discussing the referenced patch:
Spirit2Pwn: Hack Allows Users To Update And Jailbreak iPhone 3GS With iOS 4, Which Is Already Jailbroken Using Spirit - iPhone Hacks

Last edited:

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
So while the 3.1.3ipsw is cooking... any input on this would be appreciated:
In another (redundant) thread, we began discussing this patch. It appears to install the spirit2pwn patch instead of me having to ssh/ sftp into the phone to do it myself. If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) where does anon think I should begin in the process.
Do we think that this patch has also installed the necessary portions of the cooked 3.1.3ipsw?
hmmmm.
any input would be appreciated.:confused::confused:

and heres the link to the referenced article discussing the referenced patch:
Spirit2Pwn: Hack Allows Users To Update And Jailbreak iPhone 3GS With iOS 4, Which Is Already Jailbroken Using Spirit - iPhone Hacks

The patch doesnt install parts of a cooked ipsw.

It changes the firmware to NOR and replaces the logos that pwnage and snowbreeze do when using it

Now, for where to start on it...

The cydia part just eliminates step 13 thru 16 and makes that part automated.

Still have to do step 2, but step 3 can be skipped since its in cydia.

Have you verified your bootrom? (old or new)

I followd the instructions in the link in the first post of this thread exactly. 1st try had errors on final step (putting it on the phone) because i was using snowbreeze 1.6.1 but when i used 1.6.2 it worked perfect.

I restored to 3.1.3 (i have shsh saved)
I jb with spirit
Cooked the 3.1.3 ipsw, changed it to .zip and extracted it
Copied the folders it wanted to the phone
Followed the instructions exactly as they are posted (used mobile t erminal on the phone for the chmod steps)
cooked 4.0 with snowbreeze 1.6.2
Opened itunes
Plugged phone in nrmaly like i was going to sync (NOT RECOVERY OR DFU)
Shift clicked restore
Pointed to my cooked 4.0 ipsw
Happy man on 4.0 jailbroken.

Check your bootrom tho. If its the old one, it'll take time, but type out what you are doing step by step sort of like i just did and i'll help ya get it sorted :)

Reactions: Mav3n

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Drat... the phone was plugged in and itunes was on when I installed afc2add and it went into recovery mode. I know better than that.
GRRRrrrr!!!

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
OOOk...
iRecovery shows "got usb no iphone/ipod found." but itunes shows it in recovery mode. phone creen is black... isn't that DFU mode?
hmmmm

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
well I gave up on iRecovery. I DO have my SHSH for 3.1.3 on fole so I'm clean restoring now... I'll start over agein with spirit/ cydia/ spirit2pwn after dinner and pick it up from there

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
When irecovery wouldnt see it, did you install the libusb exe that came with irecovery? If not it wont work :)

I did... compatibility mode: XP sp2, run as admin.
Meh... with many thanks (once again) to the great saurik, I have a clean install of 3.1.3, so I'm gonna start this over in a few min.

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
alright.... something more important came up. As I'm in a good place Ima stoppin for now. Thanks for the help ringer!!

theringer

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I did... compatibility mode: XP sp2, run as admin.
Meh... with many thanks (once again) to the great saurik, I have a clean install of 3.1.3, so I'm gonna start this over in a few min.

hmmm compatability mode? Vista or win7?

Lots have had problems with that, have a windows xp computer around?

Mavrick

May 1, 2010
Visit site
stuck in DFU mode....looped

Wow now i really did it...... i installed spirit2 in cydea, everything installed fine and then the next time i looked at the phone it was off....so i tried to turn it back on and nothing..... i assumed it was in DFU mode some how so i tried to get it out....nothing....no power, no apple logo, no recovery mode...
so went to itunes to do a restore, it recognized the phone is in DFU mode and tried to restore but i keep getting errors..... mostly code 28.... so now what?

i cant restore,recover,turn on or anything....

Phone is 3gs 3.13 5.12 jailbroke with spirit...shsh backed up but doesn't do me any good cuz phone does nothing.....HELP!

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR