HOW TO: JB and Unlock 3GS New/Old Boot on iOS4

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Im in the process of doing this right now - will report back to everyone on how it works out.. was hoping someone would do it before me, but it seems unlikely..

So, I'll put my phone on the line for TiPb

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
First Attempt:

Got all the way to step 18 of 20 with relative ease! But alas, Error 1600 when attempting to restore custom 4.0 firmware. I did however skip the first step which was "Restore 3.1.3 and JB with spirit". I figured I had already done that since my phone was already on 3.1.3 and JB'ed, that I didn't need to repeat that step.

Will attempt to restart, and do ALL the steps, and report back!

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Second Attempt:

Same as above, got all the way to 18, error 1600..

Hmm.. will have to figure out a way around this, perhaps use irecovery to get it out of DFU loop and shift restore in recovery mode? Will report back..

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The can't run the unsigned code without having had a low level jailbreak and be untethered. This is where the problem with Spirit and tethered 3.1.2 jailbreaks come into play. I'm not sure what the process described on that site is trying to get at.

You can also try NOT putting it into DFU...but I still don't think that the process will work...the bootrom is the problem and the firmware doesn't update/downgrade that.

Last edited:

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Well iRecovery can't allocate the device into mode 1 mode, whatever that means..

That means, I can't get it out of recovery mode, and therefor, can't install the 4.0 OS custom firmware. Seems this method doesn't work, for Windows users anyway. Can anyone on a mac give it a go?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The can't run the unsigned code without having had a low level jailbreak and be untethered. This is where the problem with Spirit and tethered 3.1.2 jailbreaks come into play. I'm not sure what the process described on that site is trying to get at.

You can also try NOT putting it into DFU...but I still don't think that the process will work...the bootrom is the problem and the firmware doesn't update/downgrade that.

like big9erfan I don't think it will work either. The process doesn't sound like it's for Mac so I'm thinking this is Windows only. In any case I might be wrong but like big9erfan said the bootrom and the firmware are two seperate things. So unless you can change the bootrom doubt it will work.

Vendettx#IM

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
okay ive already ran into a problem and that problem is sn0wbreeze-V1.5.2.exe wont download from the link provided.. anyone else have a different working link?

Maka77

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So I spent some time trying to get this to work a couple of days ago when it first came out.

To give some background...
I originally JB my phone using Blackra1n on 3.1.2, but the phone crashed and I needed to upgrade to 3.1.3 because I didn't have my SHSH on file. Spirit JB on 3.1.3.

I tried upgrading using the custom 4.0 FW when it first came out (without this procedure). In Restore mode, I got error 1604, in DFU mode, I got error 1601. Was able to use iRecovery to get out of recovery mode (and have my 3.1.3 SHSH saved, so I wasn't worried about trying).

So, I tried this process. It changed my apple picture and restore mode picture. When I tried to use the custom 4.0 FW, I got error 2 in restore mode and error 1601 in dfu mode. iRecovery didn't work after I did this.

The site I listed said this would not work in DFU mode, but should work in restore mode. Other people said it did, but hasn't worked for me yet.

Also, I'm not sure if this patches your boot, because all the files but one are img3 files (which leads me to believe is why the pictures changed). The one file that's not is called manifest (no file extension). Not sure if this is the boot file that sn0wbreeze modifies.

At a high level, this is supposed to modify your boot files to make it seem like you jailbroke your iphone using sn0wbreeze so you can restore custom FW using itunes.

placebo

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Those instructions worked for me last night. I had an iPhone 3GS with the older bootrom and 5.12.01 baseband, running 3.1.3, and I successfully managed to upgrade it to iOS 4, jailbroken and unlocked.

I ran into one problem, though. Sn0wbreeze 1.5.2 wouldn't launch in XP -- kept saying the application didn't properly initialize or something like that -- so I used Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 to create a custom 3.1.3 firmware and pulled the necessary files out of there. Instead of using Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak iOS 4, I used Pwnage Tool 4.01. It wasn't necessary to go into DFU or recovery mode. I just option-clicked the restore button in iTunes and selected the custom iOS 4 firmware to upgrade. Once iOS 4 was running on the phone, I unlocked it using ultrasn0w.

grayman4hire

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
it works!

Holy cow! I registered just so I can post that this method works!

Upgraded my Spirit Jailbroken iPhone 3GS 3.1.3 (old bootrom) to iOS4!!!

Someone should package this up as a cydia app.

Vendettx#IM

Dec 21, 2008
Visit site
this did not work for me and i followed the instructions correctly this went so badly that i had to restore my phone to iOS4 and now am no longer jailbroken.

so waiting for a new jailbreak.. once agian

domino82

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I love the person who wrote this guide...

After 6 hours of fighting with my iPhone 3GS which was on the stock iOS 4.0 upgrade (but luckily had 3.1.3 SHSH blobs on Cydia), I was able to successfully use this guide to obtain a jailbroken, unlocked, iOS 4.0 device.

The only time I deviated from the guide was at the point where I restored to 4.0 custom firmware. When I tried it in DFU mode using the sn0wbreeze ipsw, it gave me a 1600 error. I then tried it in recovery mode using pwnagetool and it worked perfectly... For all I know, it may have worked in recovery mode using the sn0wbreeze ipsw.

I seriously thought I was screwed since the only blobs I had on file were 3.1.3, and I was upgraded to the latest baseband.

So, for the record -

Starting with: iPhone 3GS, totally stock (non-jailbroken, non-unlocked) iOS 4.0
Baseband 5.13.04
Old BootROM (sorry hopeful 3GS'ers with new one)

Ending with: iPhone 3GS (would be pretty amazing if I ended up with an iPhone 4), jailbroken, unlocked with ultrasn0w, iOS 4.0!!

Also should mention, I used like 3 different computers in the process of doing this... I used an older MacBook with an old version of iTunes for the Spirit JB because it was giving me issues on my desktop with 9.2, then I used (obviously) a PC for everything up to the final restore. Final restore I did on my Mac Pro.

This guide needs more publicity and the author needs... I dunno, sexual favors or something... I love you, random iPhone obsessive! You made my day!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox