Credit where it's due, your backtracking has given me the confidence to try this now.

Edit:

Tried this. Got to the "type reboot and let iphone reboot" part, the iphone didn't reboot. I put it into FDU mode and tried to restore to custom 4.0 but itunes gave me a 1600 error.

I saw a few "use pwnagetool" fixes for that, but i don't have a mac I assume those people with a mac who fixed it used pwnage tool to create a custom 4.0 and didn't get a 1600 error when trying to restore to that firmware?

If that works, what's the chances someone with a mac wants to upload a pwnage tool'd custom 4.0 for us windows users?

That is, unless there's yet another fix.
    Make sure you are using snowbreeze 1.6.2 for the 1600 error

When you tried to reboot by command, did the previous command run ok?
    07-02-2010 11:07 AM
    Make sure you are using snowbreeze 1.6.2 for the 1600 error

When you tried to reboot by command, did the previous command run ok?
    (and the previous post)

Thanks for replying guys:

2 issues
    firstly i actually copied all the files over, i'm as sure as i can be that all files were copied, no errors showed in the copying process. When i used ssh to flash, it said success. I rebooted by command, however when the phone went black, it stayed black. I gave it 10 mins trying occasionally to switch it on, after 10 mins i tried to get out of DFU mode however it just sat there. Then i plugged it into my PC, made sure it was in DFU mode, tried to restore to custom ios4 (just to see if it worked) but then i got the 1600 error and had to simply restore safely to a working firmware version.

secondly when i used 1.6.2 snowbreeze to make the ios4 custom firmware, snowbreeze crashed right at the end of making the firmware (window has stopped responding box popped up) but it appeared like it finished ok - i checked the file size against standard ones and figured i might take the risk, but i got the no reboot problem anyway, and then the 1600 error when i tried to restore to custom ios4.

---------------

So basically everything went smoothly until i command line rebooted, then it simply switched off (as it does when it reboots) but didn't switch back on again. I'll actually try it again just now and see if the same results. Gonna try and get a working custom ios4 first, though.

EDIT:
    Now have a fully finished ios4 custom done, i'll let you know if i get the 1600/reboot issue again.
    Last edited by bobdole3141; 07-02-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    07-02-2010 12:41 PM
    (and the previous post)

Thanks for replying guys:

2 issues
    firstly i actually copied all the files over, i'm as sure as i can be that all files were copied, no errors showed in the copying process. When i used ssh to flash, it said success. I rebooted by command, however when the phone went black, it stayed black. I gave it 10 mins trying occasionally to switch it on, after 10 mins i tried to get out of DFU mode however it just sat there. Then i plugged it into my PC, made sure it was in DFU mode, tried to restore to custom ios4 (just to see if it worked) but then i got the 1600 error and had to simply restore safely to a working firmware version.

secondly when i used 1.6.2 snowbreeze to make the ios4 custom firmware, snowbreeze crashed right at the end of making the firmware (window has stopped responding box popped up) but it appeared like it finished ok - i checked the file size against standard ones and figured i might take the risk, but i got the no reboot problem anyway, and then the 1600 error when i tried to restore to custom ios4.

---------------

So basically everything went smoothly until i command line rebooted, then it simply switched off (as it does when it reboots) but didn't switch back on again. I'll actually try it again just now and see if the same results. Gonna try and get a working custom ios4 first, though.

EDIT:
    Now have a fully finished ios4 custom done, i'll let you know if i get the 1600/reboot issue again.
    Yep, same error again. Everything went smoothly until i typed reboot into putty. Then it went black. Waited, but nothing happened. Plugged into my computer, itunes said it was in DFU mode. Tried to upgrade to custom ios4, but got the 1600 error.
    Last edited by bobdole3141; 07-02-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    07-02-2010 01:39 PM
    Can you restore to 3.1.3 (do you have your shsh for 3.1.3)?

If yes, restore back to it, use iRecovery when you get a 1600 in itunes on the downgrade. It will tell you the commands, where you download it, not in the program itself.

After restored down, jailbreak with spirit (have to have a valid sim if you are an unlocker, meaning not on att)

Then instead of trying to use putty, use mobile terminal, it has you download it in step 2, to the phone, thats what i did, ran it on the phone in mobile terminal.

Now, for your windows error, what version? Windows 7? Did you run snowbreeze in compatability mode? I have xp and didnt have that problem.

Have you checked your boot rom? if so and i missed it, my appologies, im at work at the moment
    07-02-2010 02:38 PM
    I am on the old bootrom.

I can get to 3.1.3 and jailbroken using spirit any time i like, in fact i'm there now. The first time i tried using mobileterminal, it said that i didn't have the correct permissions to chmod (wtf? i know..), so i tried it using putty and it worked nicely so i went with that.

I get problems when i type reboot, it goes black and stays black (because it's in DFU mode, i know that because if i plug it into the pc, it finds an iphone in recovery mode).

Then i thought "well, why not try it?" and try to restore to custom 4, whereupon i get the 1600 error.

My crashing problem is fixed though, thanks again for the reply!
    07-02-2010 03:24 PM
    The first time i tried using mobileterminal, it said that i didn't have the correct permissions to chmod (wtf? i know..), so i tried it using putty and it worked nicely so i went with that.

I get problems when i type reboot, it goes black and stays black (because it's in DFU mode, i know that because if i plug it into the pc, it finds an iphone in recovery mode).
    For the permissions, did you type "su root" first and put in alpine for the password?

that might be why it goes into dfu mode, if the permissions werent right when it tries to run it.

You fixed it tho?
    07-02-2010 04:29 PM
    I didn't type that, no. The guide didn't say it, so i didn't even know i wouldn't have root access from the phone i was using it from.

However, i dunno if this will solve the problem as, like i say, i managed to chmod just fine from putty so the permissions would be set.

But who knows? I'll try it now.

Edit:
    Nope, phone switches off but stays off, and it's in DFU mode.
    Last edited by bobdole3141; 07-02-2010 at 05:09 PM.
    07-02-2010 05:03 PM
    When you revert to 3.1.3, are you restoring just the firmware so you're starting clean, or are you restoring a backup as well? If it's the latter, try the former to eliminate the possibility of some quirk of your setup causing problems.
    07-02-2010 05:17 PM
    It's clean, no backup saved anyway, but i do it as a new phone.
    07-02-2010 05:26 PM
    It would appear that someone has made an error here. The people on modmyi forums say that this method (well, not the same link but exactly the same steps) will ONLY work on old bootroms.

Reading through the posts, i see successes all from people with old bootrom, and 1600 failures (same as mine) from new bootroms.

So hopefully i can save people a good deal of time here - this WILL NOT work if you're on new bootrom, and take that as a fact until someone posts otherwise. I've spent about 4 hours on and off today whilst doing some work, i've tried just about every little tweak or alternative crap i could think of, and regardless of what happens, confirmed by at least 2 others, old bootrom'ers will get stuck in DFU mode after the reboot step, and attempting to restore to custom 4ios will give a 1600 error.
    07-02-2010 05:38 PM
    i have old bootrom and still get 1600 error...
    07-02-2010 05:54 PM
    It would appear that someone has made an error here. The people on modmyi forums say that this method (well, not the same link but exactly the same steps) will ONLY work on old bootroms.

Reading through the posts, i see successes all from people with old bootrom, and 1600 failures (same as mine) from new bootroms.

So hopefully i can save people a good deal of time here - this WILL NOT work if you're on new bootrom, and take that as a fact until someone posts otherwise. I've spent about 4 hours on and off today whilst doing some work, i've tried just about every little tweak or alternative crap i could think of, and regardless of what happens, confirmed by at least 2 others, old bootrom'ers will get stuck in DFU mode after the reboot step, and attempting to restore to custom 4ios will give a 1600 error.
    That is not correct. I am on an old bootrom, and i dont get stuck in dfu mode.

Step 9:

Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla. Default username/password combo is: root/alpine (without the quotes)

Step 13:

Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:

When you are trying this, you need to restore back to a stock 3.1.3 and then jb it with spirit, then follow those steps. when you open mobile terminal, type "su root" and it will ask for a password. Type alpine (even tho it will look like its not typing, if it says $iphoneblahbla root# then it worked)

Then do the chmod and run the script. You are hitting DFU mode because the script isnt getting the correct permissions and the script kills the whole thing with the wrong permissions.
    07-02-2010 06:34 PM
    I think it's just coming soon and it's official from iH8sn0w
    Jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS [New Bootrom] with Sn0wbreeze Coming Soon - Covering Web

But it says that you have to downgrade first and I never saved my SHSH files.
    So is it still possible to unlock my iphone 3gs with 4.0 new bootrom and I dont have SHSH files saved?
    07-02-2010 11:31 PM
    But it says that you have to downgrade first and I never saved my SHSH files.
    So is it still possible to unlock my iphone 3gs with 4.0 new bootrom and I dont have SHSH files saved?
    No, not currently. Asked and answered over a million times on the internet by now
    07-03-2010 12:01 AM
    Im talking about when this new program iH8sn0w comes out am I going to be able to unlock my iphone with it.
    07-03-2010 12:18 AM
    Im talking about when this new program iH8sn0w comes out am I going to be able to unlock my iphone with it.
    Who knows, no one here is a fortune teller lol
    07-03-2010 12:19 AM
    Who knows, no one here is a fortune teller lol
    Lol I know man but I just want to get my phone unlocked. I bought it brand new and I cant use it because I have tmobile.
    07-03-2010 12:28 AM
    Lol I know man but I just want to get my phone unlocked. I bought it brand new and I cant use it because I have tmobile.
    Shouldnt have bought it new then without a jailbreak existing
    07-03-2010 12:48 AM
    That is not correct. I am on an old bootrom, and i dont get stuck in dfu mode.

Step 9:

Connect your iPhone to your WiFi. Use SFTP and login to your iPhone. If you have no SFTP client, you can use FileZilla. Default username/password combo is: root/alpine (without the quotes)

Step 13:

Use the same credentials as the SFTP credentials. Then run the following commands:

When you are trying this, you need to restore back to a stock 3.1.3 and then jb it with spirit, then follow those steps. when you open mobile terminal, type "su root" and it will ask for a password. Type alpine (even tho it will look like its not typing, if it says $iphoneblahbla root# then it worked)

Then do the chmod and run the script. You are hitting DFU mode because the script isnt getting the correct permissions and the script kills the whole thing with the wrong permissions.
    What do you mean "this is not correct, i am on old bootrom?" I said that it only WORKS for old bootroms. You have an old bootrom, it works for you.

I have 100% absolutely positively done the steps EXACTLY as shown on the guide, and EXACTLY as you have stated in my quote of your post. Not one time but about 16 times, and every single time i issue the reboot command only to get stuck in DFU mode.

The permissions of the files HAVE been modified, i repeat the script IS getting the correct permissions and succeeds. It simply won't reboot, and i suspect it's because i've got the new bootrom.

However Hack-My-I at the top of this page also gets 1600 error on old bootrom, so that is interesting. Does your phone reboot when you issue the reboot command, or does it get stuck in DFU mode too?

I think it's just coming soon and it's official from iH8sn0w
    Jailbreak iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS [New Bootrom] with Sn0wbreeze Coming Soon - Covering Web
    Unfortunately that doesn't help the people on this thread. We have our 3.1.3 blobs saved. If you have the old bootrom the guide at the OP seems to work more or less, and if you have the new bootrom, it doesn't work.

I would like a few more people with the new bootrom to test this method out and see if they get stuck in recovery mode after issuing the reboot command. I'm fairly sure this is old bootroms only.

-------

I got my iphone on the day of the 3.1.3 patch, didn't even realise it was happening when it said updating software. I could have so easily backed up my shsh if only i knew! fs!
    Last edited by bobdole3141; 07-03-2010 at 03:52 AM.
    07-03-2010 03:46 AM
    Ok... so I've installed the spirit2pwn patch from cydia. I am going to try this process... I'll update as I can.
    07-03-2010 04:26 PM
    So while the 3.1.3ipsw is cooking... any input on this would be appreciated:
    In another (redundant) thread, we began discussing this patch. It appears to install the spirit2pwn patch instead of me having to ssh/ sftp into the phone to do it myself. If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) where does anon think I should begin in the process.
    Do we think that this patch has also installed the necessary portions of the cooked 3.1.3ipsw?
    hmmmm.
    any input would be appreciated.

and heres the link to the referenced article discussing the referenced patch:
    Spirit2Pwn: Hack Allows Users To Update And Jailbreak iPhone 3GS With iOS 4, Which Is Already Jailbroken Using Spirit - iPhone Hacks
    Last edited by Mav3n; 07-03-2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot the link
    07-03-2010 04:39 PM
    So while the 3.1.3ipsw is cooking... any input on this would be appreciated:
    In another (redundant) thread, we began discussing this patch. It appears to install the spirit2pwn patch instead of me having to ssh/ sftp into the phone to do it myself. If that's true (and I have no reason to doubt it is) where does anon think I should begin in the process.
    Do we think that this patch has also installed the necessary portions of the cooked 3.1.3ipsw?
    hmmmm.
    any input would be appreciated.

and heres the link to the referenced article discussing the referenced patch:
    Spirit2Pwn: Hack Allows Users To Update And Jailbreak iPhone 3GS With iOS 4, Which Is Already Jailbroken Using Spirit - iPhone Hacks
    The patch doesnt install parts of a cooked ipsw.

It changes the firmware to NOR and replaces the logos that pwnage and snowbreeze do when using it

Now, for where to start on it...

The cydia part just eliminates step 13 thru 16 and makes that part automated.

Still have to do step 2, but step 3 can be skipped since its in cydia.

Have you verified your bootrom? (old or new)

I followd the instructions in the link in the first post of this thread exactly. 1st try had errors on final step (putting it on the phone) because i was using snowbreeze 1.6.1 but when i used 1.6.2 it worked perfect.

I restored to 3.1.3 (i have shsh saved)
    I jb with spirit
    Cooked the 3.1.3 ipsw, changed it to .zip and extracted it
    Copied the folders it wanted to the phone
    Followed the instructions exactly as they are posted (used mobile t erminal on the phone for the chmod steps)
    cooked 4.0 with snowbreeze 1.6.2
    Opened itunes
    Plugged phone in nrmaly like i was going to sync (NOT RECOVERY OR DFU)
    Shift clicked restore
    Pointed to my cooked 4.0 ipsw
    Happy man on 4.0 jailbroken.

Check your bootrom tho. If its the old one, it'll take time, but type out what you are doing step by step sort of like i just did and i'll help ya get it sorted
    07-03-2010 04:54 PM
    Drat... the phone was plugged in and itunes was on when I installed afc2add and it went into recovery mode. I know better than that.
    GRRRrrrr!!!
    07-03-2010 06:02 PM
    OOOk...
    iRecovery shows "got usb no iphone/ipod found." but itunes shows it in recovery mode. phone creen is black... isn't that DFU mode?
    hmmmm
    07-03-2010 06:16 PM
    well I gave up on iRecovery. I DO have my SHSH for 3.1.3 on fole so I'm clean restoring now... I'll start over agein with spirit/ cydia/ spirit2pwn after dinner and pick it up from there
    07-03-2010 06:34 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD