Old vs new baseband

Mav3n

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Alright. So my dyslexia's kickin my arse right now. This is fron Dev Team's post:
If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.*
If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0*PwnageTool 4.01

So my confusion is now what the he'll is the baseband. I thought it was the modem firmare. If that's true than what's "old" and what's "new"? I'm on 3gs, 3.1.3 (spirit) and have 5.12.01. Is this old or new?
And finally if I read things right, I can't use pwnage if I had spirit, BUT if I virginize 3.1.3 then clean upgrade to 4.0 I can use pwnage. Is this accurate?

randomasta

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Alright. So my dyslexia's kickin my arse right now. This is fron Dev Team's post:
If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.*
If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0*PwnageTool 4.01

So my confusion is now what the he'll is the baseband. I thought it was the modem firmare. If that's true than what's "old" and what's "new"? I'm on 3gs, 3.1.3 (spirit) and have 5.12.01. Is this old or new?
And finally if I read things right, I can't use pwnage if I had spirit, BUT if I virginize 3.1.3 then clean upgrade to 4.0 I can use pwnage. Is this accurate?

Baseband is the 5.12.01 or 5.13.04 number and that pertains to your ability to UNLOCK, and as of right now you can unlock your phone regardless of what baseband you're on, so long as you're jailbroken.

The BOOTROM is something that is unchangeable, period. It is something that they did in the factory during the manufacturing process. You likely have an "old" bootrom if you got your 3GS very early on. Google how to check your bootrom, for how to do so - you can't really check it directly on the phone, although you can look at your serial number which may give an indication of what you're on.

silkshocker#IM

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
google is your friend!! on second thought, I'll chime in. Baseband is a band you wear around the base of your phone. Bootrom is a rom on your boot. Any questions?

mg48

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So if your 3GS had an untethered jailbreak you have the old bootrom. If it was tethered meaning you had to re-JB it everytime you powered off then you have the new bootrom and can't use the pwng tool for os4 yet.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro