3GS jailbreak for iOS4 confusion... please help?

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3GS that was jailbroken several times -- the last was via "Spirit" with 3.1.3.

Yesterday, I installed iOS 4.0 using a full "new phone" restore (thanks to broken cellular data problems after trying the normal update). So, now I have a fresh iOS 4.0 install on the phone.

Back when it was jailbroken, I had uploaded my SHSH profiles to Saurik's database and Cydia listed them on its welcome screen for both 3.1.2 and 3.1.3.

So, now... can I jailbreak this f'n thing, or what? I thought the whole point of uploading those old SHSH profiles was to use them to revert back if/when it was necessary for future jailbreaks. Only now, it sounds like anyone who used Spirit is f*cked, so now what?!

I'm so damn confused... what can I do to re-jailbreak this phone?

Any/all help -- even bad news -- is much appreciated!

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe the point of uploading those was if you want to downgrade you can trick itunes into thinking that his server is actually Apple so you can downgrade
So can I downgrade and start over with old bootroms? If not, then what's the point of being able to downgrade?

I still don't get it...

Also, what is it about the Spirit jailbreak method that permanently broke/prevents the pwnagetool from working?

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately we're screwed. Dev Team is so close minded on jailbreaks it will take eons for them to release a jailbreak for ios4 for 3gs people with new basebands. I have a feeling that the next best jailbreak for ios4 will be userland. Dev Team just seems to disappoint me.

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So can I downgrade and start over with old bootroms? If not, then what's the point of being able to downgrade?

I still don't get it...

Also, what is it about the Spirit jailbreak method that permanently broke/prevents the pwnagetool from working?

You are reading too deep into this. You should have done the research into this in the first place. I was well aware of what would happen. I don't care as I'm getting the new iphone anyway.

You cannot downgrade to re-jailbreak. Just be patient and wait like everybody else.

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
You are reading too deep into this. You should have done the research into this in the first place. I was well aware of what would happen. I don't care as I'm getting the new iphone anyway.

You cannot downgrade to re-jailbreak. Just be patient and wait like everybody else.
I really have no problem waiting... it's the confusion that annoyed me. I've been jailbreaking my phone for years. The whole "Can I/Can't I" question, based on some crazy advanced algorithm of variables listed on the DevTeam blog site, has gotten a little out of hand. It's the world's most annoying IF-THEN problem...

After all, I always did a ton of research -- hence the uploaded SHSH files that were explained to us as being meant to "protect us from future updates"... which they obviously don't do. As it stands, the backed up SHSH files seem rather pointless if we can't revert back to them for jailbreak purposes... don't they?

Exactly which "research" were you referring to? And what exactly are those SHSH backups good for, if not for future jailbreaking?

Last edited:

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat and I don't understand what the Spirit jailbreak method has to do with anything. After a clean install of a new OS/baseband, why does it matter what you used in the first place to jailbreak it? Isn't that all null at this point? All that data is gone...

Now, I do understand if there is no jailbreak ready for iOS4 on a 3GS on Windows, that's fine, we can all wait. But why does it matter what you've used previously when it's all brand new again after a clean install of a new OS/baseband? I'm missing something...

And I think the backup of SHSH files will allow you to downgrade back to 3.1.3 and jailbreak it again if you don't want to wait.

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
And I think the backup of SHSH files will allow you to downgrade back to 3.1.3 and jailbreak it again if you don't want to wait.
So they CAN be used to revert and then jailbreak with that particular version of iOS, rather than iOS4?

So I could revert to 3.1.3 and use Spirit again? Simple as that? hmm...

randomasta

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So they CAN be used to revert and then jailbreak with that particular version of iOS, rather than iOS4?

So I could revert to 3.1.3 and use Spirit again? Simple as that? hmm...

I don't know what the people in this thread are talking about. If as the topic creator says, he has 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 uploaded to Saurik's server then he's good to go.

If you want to be on jailbroken iOS4 you'll have to go back to 3.1.2, then you can jailbreak with a non-spirit method, and then proceed to use the new pwnage tool 4.0 and get up to iOS4 jailbroken.

Or you could go back to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with spirit, but then you won't be able to get to 4.0 jailbroken at this time.

If you want to downgrade, basically the process is that you have to edit your host file so iTunes goes to Cydia's server instead of the apple servers for verification, and if you had your 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 SHSH saved you can go to either of those. Put the phone in DFU mode, then option+restore to the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 .ipsw file and you'll be good (although you'll need a program like Recboot to kick you out of recovery mode when you're done).

randomasta

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The whole issue with Spirit is not that it does anything to your phone permanently, it's simply that the Dev-team's most recently released update to the pwnagetool doesn't allow you to "cook" up a custom jailbroken firmware if you are on a spirit jailbreak...it only works if you were on one of the other jailbreaks.

And as of now, if you are on a stock 3.1.3 firmware the only jailbreak is Spirit, so if you didn't have your 3.1.2 on file you'd be unable to get up to 4.0 jailbroken at this time, but you could always go back to 3.1.3 so long as that was on file and jailbreak it with spirit.

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what the people in this thread are talking about. If as the topic creator says, he has 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 uploaded to Saurik's server then he's good to go.

If you want to be on jailbroken iOS4 you'll have to go back to 3.1.2, then you can jailbreak with a non-spirit method, and then proceed to use the new pwnage tool 4.0 and get up to iOS4 jailbroken.

Or you could go back to 3.1.3 and jailbreak with spirit, but then you won't be able to get to 4.0 jailbroken at this time.

If you want to downgrade, basically the process is that you have to edit your host file so iTunes goes to Cydia's server instead of the apple servers for verification, and if you had your 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 SHSH saved you can go to either of those. Put the phone in DFU mode, then option+restore to the 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 .ipsw file and you'll be good (although you'll need a program like Recboot to kick you out of recovery mode when you're done).
Is there a preferred online source for IPSW files? I may try what you're suggesting so I can put the matter to rest.

recboot and the hosts file edits are easy enough, but I don't have a 3.1.2 IPSW sitting around...

randomasta

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there a preferred online source for IPSW files? I may just try what you're suggesting...

recboot and the hosts file edits are easy enough, but I don't have a 3.1.2 IPSW sitting around...

Google download 3.1.2 ipsw and pick one that looks reputable :) I think the 2nd on that google search looks fine.

paleh0rse

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
OK, I grabbed the IPSW file.. so now I'm going to:

1) Restore with 3.1.2 for 3GS using my 3.1.2 backup SHSH profile
2) Jailbreak with blackra1n
3) Jailbreak/update with Pwnagetool 4.0

Does that sound right?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads