Questions about Prepping iPhone 3gs for Resale

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Experts,

My wife and I are currently pondering going for the upgrade and buying iPhone 4's. I currently have an iPhone 3gs running 3.13 that is jailbroken. I have not upgraded my iTunes to the newest version yet--still running 9.1 (or 9.0)--can't remember--but definitely not the latest version. My wife has a non-jailbroken 3gs running 3.13 that is not jailbroken.

Can someone give me step-by-step instructions on what I need to do to delete all personal data and maximize the resale value of the phones.

Although I do not know for sure, my guess is that to maximize the value of the phones, I need to delete everything on both phones, do a clean install of 3.13, then jailbreak 3.13, and then do the unlock of both phones.

Is that easy to do? Can someone explain how I should do it? Does it pose a problem that I have not jailbroken my wife's iPhone 3gs yet?

Any help is appreciated!

-Jonathan

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
question

I know that you can remove data from the phone itself...but would that take away the jailbreak and the unlock?

And what about my wife's phone that is not jailbroken. Can I still jailbreak it and unlock it to prep it for resale?

Please someone give me a detailed step-by-step guide on how to accomplish this. I think it would benefit a lot of people on the forum. Thanks!

-Jonathan

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
How much is that phony in the window

If you want to have the phone JBen & Unlocked for sale you can wipe out the settings as described above and re-JB the empty phone just setup as new and remove the SIM. You could also connect the phone to iTunes and uncheck all the sync options or connect it to another computer which will wipe out the library. You can manually go through Settings to clear the emails, browser cache, and manually remove pictures and apps. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to JB your wifes we need to know what OS the phone is on now? but you might as well wipe hers before JBing since it's a vanilla phone.

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Why does, or does it even, make the phone more valuable if it's unlocked/jailbroken? Anyone can do it, why does it have to be done first before you sell it? If you just do a clean restore on it, new phone, sell it, the new owner can jailbreak it and unlock it if they wish.

Do people really pay more for a phone that's already jailbroken and unlocked when they could very easily buy one that's not and do it themselves? I'm missing something...

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Why does, or does it even, make the phone more valuable if it's unlocked/jailbroken? Anyone can do it, why does it have to be done first before you sell it? If you just do a clean restore on it, new phone, sell it, the new owner can jailbreak it and unlock it if they wish.

Do people really pay more for a phone that's already jailbroken and unlocked when they could very easily buy one that's not and do it themselves? I'm missing something...

because for example, if u DONT have ATT, how can u unlock or JB the device?????? U CANT because when u pop in the (for example) Tmobile SIM card, u will be stuck on the emergency screen... Thats why!

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Ahh-Hah!!! See, I didn't know that! Now, I know! Thank you very much Hack-My-I. I thought that you could still go into DFU mode and jailbreak it no matter what SIM was inside the phone. Now it makes perfect sense.

Now, the question is, do I jailbreak my 3GS on iOS4 or unlock it on 3.1.2 and try to sell it then? Which will be more desirable?

jnickell

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Are the unlocked 3.1.2 units still selling for more than units updated to 4.0? How much more are they selling for - doesn't seem to be any real difference on craigslist. I'm gathering jailbreaking adds no resale value - Only potentially unlocking.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Ahh-Hah!!! See, I didn't know that! Now, I know! Thank you very much Hack-My-I. I thought that you could still go into DFU mode and jailbreak it no matter what SIM was inside the phone. Now it makes perfect sense.

Now, the question is, do I jailbreak my 3GS on iOS4 or unlock it on 3.1.2 and try to sell it then? Which will be more desirable?

There is no JB for iOS4 YET but u can unlock and JB on 3.1.2 and sell it... personally, i would wait for a iOS4 JB and Unlock then ppl will be all over it... but i sold one of my 3G|s|'s for $320 JB w/ Spirit on 3.1.3 on eBay ;)
if i didnt have the warranty i wouldve only gotten like $250 so its a fair deal iMO

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Are the unlocked 3.1.2 units still selling for more than units updated to 4.0? How much more are they selling for - doesn't seem to be any real difference on craigslist. I'm gathering jailbreaking adds no resale value - Only potentially unlocking.

The unlock is where the resale value falls ;)

The only time JB has resale value is when new FW is out (eg. iOS4) and there is no JB for it yet.

Steve.Tate

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Hey Hack-My-I, is there any way for me to check to see if my old 3GS is still under warranty and if so, how long it has?

Someone sent me an email asking me about my 3GS and if I would take $250 for it. I thought it was worth more, so now I'll check my warranty and add that to the description.

Thanks!