Official Updating to iOS 4 from Jailbreak help thread

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Running a Jailbroken iPhone under 3.1.x and concerned about updating to iOS 4? Should you re-virginize first? Backup your Jailbreak data for the future?

Get help. Give help. Here's the thread to discuss any and all issues related to updating iOS 4 from Jailbreak.

Reactions: apsaps

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
If I restore my phone as new then install iOS4, is there any way to get my apps' data back on to my phone?

I assume doing a full restore will bring files that were left over from Spirit JB and thus cluttering up my new install of iOS4, correct?

Sm00velikebutta

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I think i'm going to leave my 3GS Jailbroken on 3.1.3 and wait till I get the iPhone 4 on Thursday, that way I won't be phoneless if something doesn't go right during the upgrade.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
To get the 4.0 GM on my Spirit jailbroken iPhone 3GS, I downloaded iTunes 9.2, connected iPhone to my computer, ran a backup, installed 4.0 GM, and finally ran a restore from backup. All apps, data, music, videos, settings, etc. where just like they should be. I was concerned because I had Categories on my iPhone, but all was good.

I did not re-virginize and all worked as I'd hoped.

caprisun

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
i have a brand new iphone (3gs) running 3.1.3 software. i heard there pretty much wasnt any jailbreak for that version so i decided ill wait a few days until 4.0 software comes out (which i hear already has jailbreak for beta versions).
so i was wondering. when i jailbreak my phone does that delete all my ringtones,music,apps or what? also is there going to be a stable jailbreak available for the real 4.0 software coming out tomorrow?

lenny7118

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Upgrading my 3GS to 4 OS

To get the 4.0 GM on my Spirit jailbroken iPhone 3GS, I downloaded iTunes 9.2, connected iPhone to my computer, ran a backup, installed 4.0 GM, and finally ran a restore from backup. All apps, data, music, videos, settings, etc. where just like they should be. I was concerned because I had Categories on my iPhone, but all was good.

Did you still have a jailbroken iphone 3GS but running 4GM? I read it can't be done yet.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site

No left over files or remanents from the jailbreak?

lenny7118

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying your phone was not jailbroken after the upgrade and you lost all your apps from the jailbroken phone?

Sorry I don't understand your reply "No left over files or remanents from the jailbreak?"

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
So are you saying your phone was not jailbroken after the upgrade and you lost all your apps from the jailbroken phone?

Sorry I don't understand your reply "No left over files or remanents from the jailbreak?"

My question to JohnH59 is basically this... after upgrading to iOS4 on a jailbroken phone and doing a restore from a backup file done while jailbroken using Spirit, did the phone on iOS4 have any files that were remnants of the jailbreak?

ie. were there files that were used by Spirit that were backed up and therefore copied back to the phone during the restore that are just sitting in the file system.

lenny7118

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
My question to JohnH59 is basically this... after upgrading to iOS4 on a jailbroken phone and doing a restore from a backup file done while jailbroken using Spirit, did the phone on iOS4 have any files that were remnants of the jailbreak?

ie. were there files that were used by Spirit that were backed up and therefore copied back to the phone during the restore that are just sitting in the file system.

Real simple, my question is Was the Iphone 3gs still jailbroken with all the same apps still on phone after the upgrade to 4.0 OS. If so how was it done.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Real simple, my question is Was the Iphone 3gs still jailbroken with all the same apps still on phone after the upgrade to 4.0 OS. If so how was it done.

If you upgrade to iOS4, it will overwrite the jailbreak. If you need jailbreak, wait until a method is available before updating.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
maybe not so fast?
I read the news that iOS is updated for iproducts this morning.
the Jailbreak data will be much late I think

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
redsn0w BETA is released and works on iOS 4GM.
wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rsbeta

No mention of this JB being compatible with those of us with the 3GS. What gives? Neither the 3G or 2G were capable of reaping any of the benefits of the 4.0 OS. I'm guessing they were easiest to JB and 3GS is coming soon? I hope...

"This BETA release supports:
* iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G only (for now)
* Mac OSX x86 and Windows only (for now)
* the 4.0GM FW only (for now)"

Last edited:

Gdaysoccer

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Fairly simple question here. I have a 32Gb iPod Touch 3rd Gen jailbroken 3.1.2 with blackra1n. If i update to iOS4 today will i be able to jailbreak in the future, when one is available?

RyzeHD

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Gdaysoccer,

Jailbreak for the official iOS4 is rumored to be coming soon as they already have them for the early iOS4 version.

What I'm curious to know is what baseband my 3GS change to if I update to iOS4 from an unlocked 3.1.2 (baseband 5.11.07) I'm thinking I should just wait to experience iOS4 on the iPhone 4 this Thursday.

sproctor61

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Gdaysoccer,

Jailbreak for the official iOS4 is rumored to be coming soon as they already have them for the early iOS4 version.

What I'm curious to know is what baseband my 3GS change to if I update to iOS4 from an unlocked 3.1.2 (baseband 5.11.07) I'm thinking I should just wait to experience iOS4 on the iPhone 4 this Thursday.

Same here exactly. I have a 3GS w/3.1.2 Jailbroken. Id love to update to iOS4 as long as I can JB it again.