Advice on returning iPhone under warranty?

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I've had my iPhone for 5 & 1/2 months & I'm thinking of returning it to be serviced under warranty for a couple reasons. My sleep button popped out & I'm convinced I have a bad battery. Not sure if it is every iPhone battery or if my iPhone came from a bad batch. I also have a hairline crack that starts at the middle of charger/sync port on the back, about 1" long & stops at the silver X, in the "FC X C E - !" marking. I have only dropped it once & I take good care of it. Are these reasons enough to return it under warranty? Has anyone returned their iPhone within the warranty, what should I expect? Thanks, I'd just like to get an idea or some tips before I restore it & bring it in. :D

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Physical damage voids warranty. I've seen apple be very strict on this. But with the release of the new iphone, they may be more lax on it

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If it looks like the crack is from a drop they won't repair it. If it looks like the home button problem is from a drop, they won't repair it.

Other than that, since you're jailbroken make sure you restore as NEW and then sync, and take it in to Apple.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I just returned two white 3gs' this week. one with a couple hairline/stress cracks and the other with a TON.

I called apple, told them about the "stress cracks" explained how they where never dropped (true) and always cased and heard about the "whites having stress crack issues". He went through the particulars and sent off two e-mails with my repair ID's.

I restored them (remember jail-breakers!) drove to the UPS store and handed the phones (and just the phones) and repair ID's to the clerk, he did the rest (packaging and sending wise).

The phones where sent out Monday and I received two brand new (refurbed) white 3gs' on thursday that I can now put on e-bay and fund two new iPhone 4's.

Easy speazy, at least for me.

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
If it looks like the crack is from a drop they won't repair it. If it looks like the home button problem is from a drop, they won't repair it.

Other than that, since you're jailbroken make sure you restore as NEW and then sync, and take it in to Apple.

No it is not from being dropped & there is "no obvious signs of trauma, LOL" like a jagged crack. It is a barely visible hairline crack, I thought I heard this was a common problem. BTW it's my sleep/power button, not my home button. I had it in my cell phone holder on the dashboard of my car & I did not push straight down. I did not push hard but it kinda popped out, I'm sure I could fix it if I could find the little bugger. It was pretty warm because I was using my voice navigation & listening to police scanner app at the same time on 3G, both through my bluetooth. Lastly, the girl's were out, the sun was shining & I "definitely" was not also backgrounding the REV app to monitor my cars speed, rpm's, gas consumption, intake temp, engine coolant temp. & other vehicles sensors through my OBD-II port via wi-fi, at the same time. :D I won't bug them about it but I bet if they approve me under warranty for the crack or battery, they will throw a "sympathy" switch on.

Last edited:

nillam1

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I just returned two white 3gs' this week. one with a couple hairline/stress cracks and the other with a TON.

I called apple, told them about the "stress cracks" explained how they where never dropped (true) and always cased and heard about the "whites having stress crack issues". He went through the particulars and sent off two e-mails with my repair ID's.

I restored them (remember jail-breakers!) drove to the UPS store and handed the phones (and just the phones) and repair ID's to the clerk, he did the rest (packaging and sending wise).

The phones where sent out Monday and I received two brand new (refurbed) white 3gs' on thursday that I can now put on e-bay and fund two new iPhone 4's.

Easy speazy, at least for me.

Ha-ha, nice! Are you saying that "WHITES" crack easier than "BLACKS," iPhones that is! Unlike Seinfeld's "black & white" cookie that add's to racial harmony, this blunder on Apples part will not help the cause! :D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro