Hi I Have An Iphone 3g On The 3.1.2 Firmware....
    I Need This Phone Unlocked So I Tried Blackra1n Only To Find Out That The Site Is Down (i Think) Because When I Run The Program It Gives Me An Error Mesage (tried 3 Different Cpu's)
    So I Tried To Jailbreak It Thru The Spirit Jailbreak And It Worked But My Phone, Safari And Sms Icons Disapeared...i Kno I Can Just Restore It But I Would Not Like That Because I Need To Unlock It....
    Is There Anyway I Can Upgrade Without Updating The Baseband????
    Thank You For Your Time....
    06-14-2010 12:17 PM
    Ok I Got It....i Just Re-ran The Spirit Jailbreak Ran The Cydia Upgrades And Installed Blackra1n Thru Cydia And The Icons Came Back On Their Own...
    06-14-2010 12:23 PM
    But Just For Future Reference How Can I Upgrade My Firmware Without Updating My Baseband???
    06-14-2010 12:35 PM
    U have to use one of the pwnage tools to create a custom firmware without upgrading the baseband. Glad it worked out
    06-14-2010 01:12 PM
    Yes, you'd need to use PwnageTool (If you're on a Mac) or sn0wbreeze (if you're on a pc) to create the custom firmware files and avoid upgrading your baseband.

This is called the "foot in the door" method, and it's an aggressive way to ensure that you'll always have an unlock.
    06-15-2010 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD