I have never tried to jailbreak or anything on my 3GS before, and I am interested in doing so now. But I do have a few questions...

1. I have v3.1.3, I read that it is impossible to jailbreak unless you have oldboot or something like that.. Is it true?

2. Can you create a system restore point or backup or anything like that before jailbreaking? if so, how?

3. If I jailbreak right now, would I be able to upgrade to iOS4 when it comes out without disrupting the jailbreak?

Thank you for any help, as I am virtually clueless.
    06-12-2010 10:28 AM
    From what I've read, only the 3G can be jailbroken, not the 3GS.

Whenever you update your OS, you lose the jailbreak.
    06-12-2010 11:05 AM
    From what I've read, only the 3G can be jailbroken, not the 3GS.

Whenever you update your OS, you lose the jailbreak.
    I think youve been reading the wrong stuff then, because everywhere I look says that the 3GS can be jailbroken
    06-12-2010 11:18 AM
    All the jailbreak tools out there say it only works on the 3G only.

But if you have information that says otherwise, perhaps you could share that with the member who requested the information.

Before I upgraded to 4.0, I wasn't able to jailbreak my 3GS on 3.1.3.
    06-12-2010 11:58 AM
    All the jailbreak tools out there say it only works on the 3G only.

But if you have information that says otherwise, perhaps you could share that with the member who requested the information.

Before I upgraded to 4.0, I wasn't able to jailbreak my 3GS on 3.1.3.
    i just typed 3GS jailbreak into google and yielded many results

thislink:gizmodo.com/5533921/how-to-jailbreak-any-iphone-ipod-touch-or-ipad]How To: Jailbreak Any iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad

edit: I had to edit the url so I could actually post it, as I only have like 3 posts here so I wasnt allowed to post it in full.
    06-12-2010 12:06 PM
    Okay. I stand corrected. The Sprint will JB the 3GS.
    06-12-2010 12:39 PM
    Spirit Jailbreak will indeed jailbreak the 3GS ... And it is quick and easy, really only takes a couple of seconds. When your phone restarts you will see the Cydia app store installed. Happy Jailbreaking!
    06-12-2010 01:23 PM
    3. If I jailbreak right now, would I be able to upgrade to iOS4 when it comes out without disrupting the jailbreak?
    Whenever you upgrade to a newer version of iOS, you always lose your jailbreak. This means you will have to re-jailbreak. The only catch is there may or may not be a new jailbreak for iOS4 when it's released.

So you can either jailbreak now and wait for a jailbreak for iOS4 or get iOS4 when it's released and then wait for the subsequent jailbreak for it.
    06-12-2010 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD