General JB question on how it will effect 4.0

Shlov1

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
OK, I am pretty new to the JB community since Spirit on my 3gs but wish I had done it sooner and on my 3g prior to that too and have really come to depend upon it. My question is how soon does everyone expect it to be until Spirit has a JB for 4.0 and then more importantly how soon before the cydia apps are able to run on 4.0. I saw on another site that alot of the cydia apps (SBSetting, Miwi, lockscreen, etc.) are not compatible with 4.0. Plus I can only assume that things like backgrounder and proswitcher and categories will be obselete with the new functionality in 4.0. So my question is how does this work for the JB developers and what about paid apps? Are they already working on it, etc. Just curious since I am debating whether I should get the new phone and then live without them until they are ready or keep using my 3gs and wait until the JBs are good. tough decisions.

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Spirit will be obsolete. There will be a jailbreak for it from Dev-Team probably the day ios4 is released. So no worries everything will work out just fine. Dev-Team is the source of all this and they know what they're doing.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Once the official iOS4 is released, it will take a few days or so for the developers in cydia to make sure the apps are compatible.

Shlov1

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Spirit will be obsolete. There will be a jailbreak for it from Dev-Team probably the day ios4 is released. So no worries everything will work out just fine. Dev-Team is the source of all this and they know what they're doing.

Thanks. Do you expect there to be something as simple and easy as Spirit was/is? Or will it be a much more complicated and tethered jailbreak?

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Pwnage tool will be the jailbreaker and it won't be that difficult. Theres more steps to it, but should only take an extra 10 minutes to figure out if you've only done spirit. so I think we'll all be good

Shlov1

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Pwnage tool will be the jailbreaker and it won't be that difficult. Theres more steps to it, but should only take an extra 10 minutes to figure out if you've only done spirit. so I think we'll all be good

so you don't think spirit will update a jailbreak for 4.0? Isn't using pwnage a tethered jailbreak though? What is the main difference?

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Spirit is userland so it'll take a little bit for it to be upgraded. Eventually it will probably work. Tethered just means everytime you turn off your iphone you have to plug it back into the computer to turn it back on and work.

Shlov1

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Spirit is userland so it'll take a little bit for it to be upgraded. Eventually it will probably work. Tethered just means everytime you turn off your iphone you have to plug it back into the computer to turn it back on and work.

OK so the tethered thing really isn't that big of a deal? What about about when you download something from Cydia and it restarts? Would I have to be connected to my computer for that? What is the real difference between all the jailbreaks out there like Pwnage, redsnow, etc.? Thanks.

Shlov1

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm already jailbroken with Spirit, but I am wondering about what to use for 4.0 and the new phone for a windows user and how being tethered effects reboots from within Cydia apps.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm already jailbroken with Spirit, but I am wondering about what to use for 4.0 and the new phone for a windows user and how being tethered effects reboots from within Cydia apps.

The DevTeam will have something released quite soon after 4.0 comes out. GeoHot will likely also have something released quite soon after 4.0 is released. DevTeam usually releases their jailbreak on Mac first, then a PC version "later".
GeoHot usually releases on the PC, then later on the Mac.

In the past, GeoHots jailbreaks have been "easier" to use ( 1 button jailbreak so to speak ).

Right now we don't know if NEW devices will be tethered or not, but we are pretty certain that existing devices will not be tethered with the new jailbreak ( at least Geohot claims to have a fix to remove the need to have a tethered jailbreak ).

goombah88

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
All the iOS 4 betas and even the GM have been jailbroken so it'll just take the dev team a couple days to double-check to make sure the jailbreak still works with the offical version and then package it up into a new pwnage tool for us. Less than a week i'm sure.

francolasalsa#IM

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
personally I will stick with my jailbroken 3.1.3 till all my jailbroken apps get updated . Quite a few apps I have that I can't live with out and so far iOS4 doesn't really have anything that I can't get from a jailbreak

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
4.0 GM is already jb by the dev-team so it will be hours I think, not days after the official iOS4 release. But I agree with francolasalsa, I'm staying put till my jb apps are 4.0 compatible. Can't live without lockinfo, backgrounder and Quikreply.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro