Hey all, I'm new, and i'm thinking of getting an iPhone 3GS. I read that the phone is now $99 in Walmart, and I live in Malaysia. My question is, if I jailbreak/unlock it so I can use my SIM in Malaysia (There's data plans here), will I be able to buy data plans in Malaysia as well? Or will they not allow me to access the data plans here? Thanks for the feedback

EDIT: Can somebody also suggest a jb/carrier unlocker to use for this sort of thing? Preferably not tethered.
    Last edited by tSGuardians; 06-05-2010 at 03:59 AM.
    06-05-2010 12:55 AM
    There is NO unlock available for firmware 3.1.3 with bootloader 05.12.01. But u can JB with Spirit and it's not tethered.
    06-05-2010 10:52 AM
    Then is it possible, using FuzzyBand to downgrade it?
    06-05-2010 07:44 PM
    Not at this point in time.
    06-05-2010 11:04 PM
    Going slightly off topic here, but has anybody bought an iPhone from US, then jb/unlocked it, put in a different countries SIM, and not got any US charges for it?
    06-07-2010 07:06 AM
    Why would you get any US charges for it if you're not using a sim from a US carrier?
    06-07-2010 07:30 AM
    Why would you get any US charges for it if you're not using a sim from a US carrier?
    but if you buy in US, you have to take some contract for year or two, right?
    you have to pay during this period.
    I think tSGuardians was talking about this.
    Last edited by daddy_cool; 06-07-2010 at 07:58 AM.
    06-07-2010 07:55 AM
    but if you buy in US, you have to take some contract for year or two, right?
    you have to pay during this period.
    I think tSGuardians was talking about this.

Not if u buy it from eBay, craiglist or someone else.
    06-07-2010 09:06 AM
    Going slightly off topic here, but has anybody bought an iPhone from US, then jb/unlocked it, put in a different countries SIM, and not got any US charges for it?
    I bought my iPhone(s)G3S while I was in New York, had them jailbroken/unlocked
    placed my vodafone sim card (Romania) in them and they work fine without any problems or extra charges from AT&T or Vodafone.
    I figured what AT&T and Vodafone does not know, won't hurt
    Hope I answered your question
    06-07-2010 11:12 AM
    US iPhone (Verizon), jailbroke and unlocked. When in Mexico I have used two different Telcel chips (Ensenada/Tijuana) with no problem making or receiving calls.

However- I was UNABLE to access the internet EXCEPT on wifi. Telcel would not upgrade my chips' program, saying that if I wanted that kind of access, I would have to buy an iPhone through them; chips and iPhones were paired.

This was/is Mexico, and not being a citizen, I am subject to ..., shall we say, "different treatment", at times when dealing with businesses and the government, let alone the general state of confusion that is the base for the status quo.

There might have been an end run by already having a internet accessible programed chip with my previous phone. In the big picture, it really wasn't an issue, as there is much wifi available.
    06-07-2010 11:36 PM
    I see! Thanks very much everybody
    Yes, I was talking about the 2 year contract. I was hoping to buy the iPhone from Walmart
    06-08-2010 04:07 AM
    I bought my iPhone(s)G3S while I was in New York, had them jailbroken/unlocked
    placed my vodafone sim card (Romania) in them and they work fine without any problems or extra charges from AT&T or Vodafone.
    I figured what AT&T and Vodafone does not know, won't hurt
    Hope I answered your question
    Your carrier knows exactlly what phone you are using even if you dont tell them. it will register in there system as soon as you make a call with your phone, so it dosn't matter.
    06-09-2010 01:59 AM
    I don't understand how you can buy iPhone with contract for a year and not to pay for that year.
    It doesn't matter if you took that phone to another country, you have obligation in US.
    You WILL have charges in US and your local carrier.
    Am I right?

btw, I'm comng to US next month, and since iPhone4 will not be available in my country till september, is it possible (will be) to buy unlocked iPhone4 in US?
    06-09-2010 05:19 AM
    Unlock for iOS4 hasn't been released yet . But u can buy it outright and then unlock it later once it is released. I don't believe it will be too long after that. And to answer ur other question, yes, if u have a 1 yr contract then u are still obligated to pay the bill for that yr even if u don't use their service. A contract is a contract.
    06-09-2010 08:38 AM
    Unlock for iOS4 hasn't been released yet . But u can buy it outright and then unlock it later once it is released. I don't believe it will be too long after that. And to answer ur other question, yes, if u have a 1 yr contract then u are still obligated to pay the bill for that yr even if u don't use their service. A contract is a contract.
    so that means I can't buy iPhone 4 next month (I can, but don't want to pay 1 year contract that I won't use)
    06-09-2010 10:55 AM
    so that means I can't buy iPhone 4 next month (I can, but don't want to pay 1 year contract that I won't use)

u can pay $599/$699 for the phone with no contract
    06-09-2010 11:20 AM
    I don't understand how you can buy iPhone with contract for a year and not to pay for that year.
    It doesn't matter if you took that phone to another country, you have obligation in US.
    You WILL have charges in US and your local carrier.
    Am I right?
    Partially... you will still have whatever contractual liabilities you set up with AT&T in the U.S., but if you unlock and go to another country, obtain local service in that country, with a new SIM on a contract or "pay as you go" plan, you will be working with and paying only for the foreign carrier whose SIM is in you phone at that time. If you were to switch you AT&T SIM back into the phone while in that other country, you'd be "roaming" (perhaps on the same carrier), but paying rates through AT&T.

Keep in mind, regardless of how long you are away from the U.S. your AT&T contact is running and even if you are not using any airtime or data on AT&T, you'll be responsible and billed each month by AT&T as though you had, with absolutely no connection to anything you might be doing when the foreign carrier's SIM is in your phone.

So, you might take your total cellular liability into consideration here. If you plan on taking out a contact with AT&T that's costing you, say, $50/month, but will be out of the U.S. for a full month, you might as well use that $50 worth of service AT&T will be billing you for anyway by roaming for that amount of time, then put your foreign SIM in the phone for the rest of the time. "Use it or loose it."
    06-09-2010 02:25 PM
    I see, that makes sense. Thanks

I might buy an iPhone 4 and wait for it to be cracked. Hopefully it will be soon.
    06-09-2010 08:28 PM

still locked on att?
    06-10-2010 10:28 AM
    Originally Posted by rdiddy_25

still locked on att?

Yes, the phone is locked to AT&T until u unlock it. It would be the same as if u bought it straight from apple.
    Last edited by rdiddy_25; 06-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    06-10-2010 11:54 AM
    When unlocking the iPhone, can you use any other data plan in any other country? Will the plans for any other iPhone be linked to the SIM card instead of the iPhone right?
    06-10-2010 08:29 PM
    When unlocking the iPhone, can you use any other data plan in any other country? Will the plans for any other iPhone be linked to the SIM card instead of the iPhone right?

Correct, the plans are linked to the sim NOT device.
    06-10-2010 08:34 PM
    Thanks for the help! +rep
    othiti likes this.
    06-12-2010 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD