Just curious. Will it still work, or is it pretty much going to be gone with the wind once official tethering is available?
    06-04-2010 09:48 AM
    Well, I just read that the iPhone will not be able to tether to the iPad!!!!! How nuts is that! So I'm guessing MyWi will be going strong
    06-04-2010 10:26 AM
    Do the math, pay $10 once to tether or pay $20 a month for tethering with AT&T???
    06-04-2010 11:52 AM
    I don't know about u, but I'm not going to pay AT&T double for the same data I already have.
    06-04-2010 12:10 PM
    I don't know about u, but I'm not going to pay AT&T double for the same data I already have.
    It is worse than that. You pay AT&T $20- per month for the privilege of tethering, whether you exercise the privilege or not. That $20- does not even include the first bit; you still have to pay for the data you transfer.

If one cannot tether the iPad, then I still have to have my (Verizon) MiFi. Why would I pay AT&T the first damned dime. They are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They just do not get it. It is as though they really do not want our money.

Steve, AT&T exclusivity has to go.
    Last edited by whmurray; 06-04-2010 at 12:42 PM.
    06-04-2010 12:37 PM
    I agree with Murray... there has to be something we all can do to prove our point with ATT
    06-04-2010 01:32 PM
    There is, JB ur iPhones and use mywi to tether. It's only $10 once and ur done. Screw AT&T trying to continuly rip us off. JB and free yourself from apple and AT&T. Just my $0.02. Now my rant is over
    06-04-2010 01:40 PM
    i am JBen and i use pdaNET and love it! But thats not the point... ATT is acting like a BIG Bully!

Last edited by Hack-My-I; 06-04-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    06-04-2010 01:59 PM
    Relative newbie here (but longtime lurker) so this may be a stupid question . . .

Can AT&T determine whether one is actually tethering using a JB phone with MyWi? If so, then there is the risk that such an individual might be forced into a tether plan now that they officially offer that option.

I think I'm going to hang back and see what happens to the masses before I do any more tethering after Monday.
    06-04-2010 02:03 PM
    Im my opinion, i think it just shows up as regular data usage so for those of us who have the unlimited plans i think will be ok... thats just my opinion...
    06-04-2010 02:06 PM
    Just curious. Will it still work, or is it pretty much going to be gone with the wind once official tethering is available?
    sooooo, can anyone here answer this question?

i would like to know this as well...
    06-04-2010 05:00 PM
    i am JBen and i use pdaNET and love it! But thats not the point... ATT is acting like a BIG Bully!

I agree that AT&T is a bully and, having used PDANet on my Treo, it would be my choice if I had the courage to jailbreak.
    06-04-2010 05:08 PM
    I use MyWi daily, I hope AT&T doesn't bork it up. I want to keep my unlimited plan if it's possible.
    06-04-2010 05:12 PM
    sooooo, can anyone here answer this question?

i would like to know this as well...
    AT&T does not know what app you are using. That is why if you JB, you can do things that you cannot do on a straight iPhone. It is Apple that keeps you from tethering, not AT&T. They do it by not permitting you to put the app on your phone. Admittedly, they do it as an accommodation, in restraint of trade, to AT&T. I cannot understand how they keep the FTC off their backs.

Incidentally, on another thread, it says that the iPhone will not tether over WiFi but rather over a wire to a PC. That is how they keep you from tethering an iPad. PDANet looks to the iPad like any other wireless access point.
    Last edited by whmurray; 06-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    06-04-2010 05:14 PM
    I use MyWi daily, I hope AT&T doesn't bork it up. I want to keep my unlimited plan if it's possible.
    If AT&T knew that you were using MyWi they would block it. They cannot see.
    06-04-2010 05:19 PM
    so with that being said...those of us who are JBen and have MiWi or pdaNet are safe for now
    06-04-2010 05:30 PM
    Relative newbie here (but longtime lurker) so this may be a stupid question . . .

Can AT&T determine whether one is actually tethering using a JB phone with MyWi? If so, then there is the risk that such an individual might be forced into a tether plan now that they officially offer that option.

I think I'm going to hang back and see what happens to the masses before I do any more tethering after Monday.
    If they could block you, they would. If Apple can help trhem, they will. For example, Apple will make 4.0 as difficult to JB as they can.
    06-04-2010 05:49 PM
    so with that being said...those of us who are JBen and have MiWi or pdaNet are safe for now
    For now. Of course, being JB is not the world's safest place. Just search in the forum for the word "brick."
    06-04-2010 05:53 PM
    The only way AT&T can tell if u are tethering if u have a huge data spike or are going way over ur 5GB limit. Avoid dl movies or streaming alot and you'll be fine. Been tethering for 1 1/2yrs wit my 3G and no issues.
    06-04-2010 05:57 PM
    Just stupid corporations trying to squeeze the money out of us like juicing oranges. Jailbreaking is bailing your phone out for free. And where else does that happen?
    06-04-2010 06:02 PM
    For now. Of course, being JB is not the world's safest place. Just search in the forum for the word "brick."
    its actually very...VERY...hard to brick your iPhone...
    06-04-2010 06:27 PM
    its actually very...VERY...hard to brick your iPhone...
    Ii hope that you are right. One would not believe it from this forum. Since I have had it with the "steaming pile of failure," I really hope you are right.
    06-04-2010 09:13 PM
    I 2nd loudrims_inc statement. Very, Very hard to brink ur phone.
    06-05-2010 12:04 AM
    Ii hope that you are right. One would not believe it from this forum. Since I have had it with the "steaming pile of failure," I really hope you are right.
    i been thru the worse of worse when it comes thru JBing and i still havent bricked it yet... being me, i love to try out new things so im always reJBing lol and (knocks on wood) still havent bricked it yet
    06-05-2010 09:58 PM
    AT&T does not know what app you are using. That is why if you JB, you can do things that you cannot do on a straight iPhone. It is Apple that keeps you from tethering, not AT&T. They do it by not permitting you to put the app on your phone. Admittedly, they do it as an accommodation, in restraint of trade, to AT&T. I cannot understand how they keep the FTC off their backs.

Incidentally, on another thread, it says that the iPhone will not tether over WiFi but rather over a wire to a PC. That is how they keep you from tethering an iPad. PDANet looks to the iPad like any other wireless access point.
    very well said explanation. thank you

on another side note; i never thought i'd see the day whmurray would even ponder the thought of jailbreaking. that steaming pile must be getting more foul than we had thought
    06-06-2010 02:04 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD