What happens to 'MyWi' with Official Tethering Coming?

DMB247

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Just curious. Will it still work, or is it pretty much going to be gone with the wind once official tethering is available?

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just read that the iPhone will not be able to tether to the iPad!!!!! How nuts is that! So I'm guessing MyWi will be going strong

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't know about u, but I'm not going to pay AT&T double for the same data I already have.
It is worse than that. You pay AT&T $20- per month for the privilege of tethering, whether you exercise the privilege or not. That $20- does not even include the first bit; you still have to pay for the data you transfer.

If one cannot tether the iPad, then I still have to have my (Verizon) MiFi. Why would I pay AT&T the first damned dime. They are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. They just do not get it. It is as though they really do not want our money.

Steve, AT&T exclusivity has to go.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
There is, JB ur iPhones and use mywi to tether. It's only $10 once and ur done. Screw AT&T trying to continuly rip us off. JB and free yourself from apple and AT&T. Just my $0.02. Now my rant is over

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
i am JBen and i use pdaNET and love it! But thats not the point... ATT is acting like a BIG Bully!

ATTBully.jpg

Last edited:

kgvickers

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Relative newbie here (but longtime lurker) so this may be a stupid question . . .

Can AT&T determine whether one is actually tethering using a JB phone with MyWi? If so, then there is the risk that such an individual might be forced into a tether plan now that they officially offer that option.

I think I'm going to hang back and see what happens to the masses before I do any more tethering after Monday.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Im my opinion, i think it just shows up as regular data usage so for those of us who have the unlimited plans i think will be ok... thats just my opinion...

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
sooooo, can anyone here answer this question?

i would like to know this as well...
AT&T does not know what app you are using. That is why if you JB, you can do things that you cannot do on a straight iPhone. It is Apple that keeps you from tethering, not AT&T. They do it by not permitting you to put the app on your phone. Admittedly, they do it as an accommodation, in restraint of trade, to AT&T. I cannot understand how they keep the FTC off their backs.

Incidentally, on another thread, it says that the iPhone will not tether over WiFi but rather over a wire to a PC. That is how they keep you from tethering an iPad. PDANet looks to the iPad like any other wireless access point.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Relative newbie here (but longtime lurker) so this may be a stupid question . . .

Can AT&T determine whether one is actually tethering using a JB phone with MyWi? If so, then there is the risk that such an individual might be forced into a tether plan now that they officially offer that option.

I think I'm going to hang back and see what happens to the masses before I do any more tethering after Monday.
If they could block you, they would. If Apple can help trhem, they will. For example, Apple will make 4.0 as difficult to JB as they can.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
The only way AT&T can tell if u are tethering if u have a huge data spike or are going way over ur 5GB limit. Avoid dl movies or streaming alot and you'll be fine. Been tethering for 1 1/2yrs wit my 3G and no issues.

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Just stupid corporations trying to squeeze the money out of us like juicing oranges. Jailbreaking is bailing your phone out for free. And where else does that happen?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR