Why are there so many sites saying 3GS 3.1.3 is unlockable

X7TIGER

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Alright I'm new here and this is the most pro iphone only site I could find (Through crackberry which I've been using for a while). Basically I'm trading my bb with a iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone runs on 3.1.3 AT&T and I googled a lot of places and many sites do show that 3GS 3.1.3 is possible to be unlocked. Like this;
www(dot)redmondpie(dot)com/unlock-iphone-3.1.3-3g-3gs-with-blacksn0w/
and
ziphone.easyiphoneunlocking(dot)com

Is all this bs? Also what's all this baseband stuff?

Cobra5mil

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I would not trust all those sites. Most of the time they want you to pay for jailbreaks/unlocks. Other times they are old. The current situation is:

3.1.3 can be Jailbroken. A Jailbroken iPhone means you can install non-Apple approved apps and other functionality missing from the stock iPhone. Keep in mind this "voids" your warranty.

Unlocking is a different matter. In order to use the iPhone on another network, it needs to be unlocked. However, the newest Baseband is 05.12.01 with bootloader 06.04. At this time, that cannot be unlocked. You can check to see what version you have, but if the phone is new it will be too late.

Last edited:

skaramanga

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
"Keep in mind this "voids" your warranty" - just restore your phone in iTunes and you will be unjailbroken, i assume warranty would be okay then?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The 3G can be unlocked on 3.1.3, but you need a custom firmware created by either PwnageTool for Mac or sn0wbreeze for PC.

I AM running a 3G unlocked on 3.1.3, butthere are lots of factors - for example, this will only work on 3G's with the OLD bootrom (untethered jailbreak), the new ones are SOL.

All in all, the processes I used were more complicated and aren't the "average" jailbreak, but it is possible. It's just rare is all.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And cobra5mil, click a link every so often. RedmondPie is a VERY reliable site, designed to write GUIDES and reviews and news. They don't sell a damned thing.

jhyoo9587

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Like everyone said it can be jailbroken but to jailbreak some softwares require you to be jailbroken before and have saved all the data on cydia or rock. You can use Spirit on 3.1.3 and it will work without a doubt

Cobra5mil

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
And cobra5mil, click a link every so often. RedmondPie is a VERY reliable site, designed to write GUIDES and reviews and news. They don't sell a damned thing.

I DO click links. In fact, I have been a long time read of Redmond Pie. I did not say Redmond Pie was bad. I told him to be careful to trust websites that promise unlocking is possible. Many DO want to sell stuff. Others are outdated before the new bootloader situation came up. There are many more factors now when determining if you can unlock your phone. I stand by my first post. If your baseband is 05.12.01 with a bootloader of 06.04, you can't do anything.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2