Help?

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi TiPb users!

I found out about jailbreaking from a friend at my school and I wanted to do it to my iPhone 3G running 3.1.3 firmware. Because of my way too honest nature, I told my Dad about jailbreaking and how awesome it is, and he quotes "No jialbreaking! NO!." He thinks that if I jailbreak, they find out as soon as I do it and shut off the AT&T contract. He even suggests that if I jailbreaking, Apple will never fix my phone on warranty. (I'm aware it voids the warranty; but there is always restore right?) Any ideas what I could tell him to make him think it's alright? Thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless he's willing to read through these forums, there's nothing you could tell him to change his mind. Let it go until you pay your own phone bill.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The thing is, your father is 100% wrong. AT&T can't tell if you're jailbroken. I personally was jailbroken on AT&T for over 2 years straight. There was no problem with service at all.

And you, poster, are 100% right - if you bring a jailbroken iPhone to  Apple to fix, they wont do it. But if you restore it through iTunes, they have no way of knowing.

But, to repeat myself, your father is 100% incorrect.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
The father may be incorrect in his statement, but he's still the one paying the bill. So, if he says no, that's no in my book. And, since there is a slight chance of a restore not working, depending on what the failure may be, he does have to be concerned about his investment. I am jailbroken, and I have let my son jailbreak his with the understanding if something does happen and we can't get it back to stock if in need of warranty work, the cost is his.

Maybe if the the OP tells his father he understands the risk and will take financial responsibility if something were to happen, he would allow it.

I do believe the risks are low that a problem would occur in which a restore wouldn't work. I came close on my previous iPhone when the radio crapped out. But, was able to create a work around to get it restored.

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The father may be incorrect in his statement, but he's still the one paying the bill. So, if he says no, that's no in my book. And, since there is a slight chance of a restore not working, depending on what the failure may be, he does have to be concerned about his investment. I am jailbroken, and I have let my son jailbreak his with the understanding if something does happen and we can't get it back to stock if in need of warranty work, the cost is his.

Maybe if the the OP tells his father he understands the risk and will take financial responsibility if something were to happen, he would allow it.

I do believe the risks are low that a problem would occur in which a restore wouldn't work. I came close on my previous iPhone when the radio crapped out. But, was able to create a work around to get it restored.

Well, even if I don't have $300 to spend, I WOULD get the money to pay for a replacement, even if it takes a year. I just want to be able to jailbreak my phone. You know, if he knew I would take responsibilty for any damages, he'll probably let me do it. IDK. Anyways, since i'm on 3.1.3, I can use Spirit right?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It's not easy to be a tech savvy kid today. You frequently know more than your parents. However, as long as they are footing the bills, you go by their rules - even if they're wrong. It's not like their lack of knowledge here is harmful. Annoying, maybe, but not harmful.

Your only real possibility would be to find a teacher who is willing to talk to your dad about it. We do exist.

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Youre right, Alli. It's really hard. My parents think any new and technological thing I find online is in some way going to break my gadgets. And isn't this MY phone? He isn't lending it to me, it's mine. If I want to modify my device, I should be able to. Right? It's comparable to my Dad not letting me modify my school binder by placing pictures on it or adding a calculator or a pencil holder to it to allow it to work at it's full potential.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Except for the fact that it's no big deal to replace a $6 binder. He doesn't want to replace a $400 phone.

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
JohnH59,
No, my Dad bought it. But the point is it's my device. Back to the binder comparison, he buys me the binder as well.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
JohnH59,
No, my Dad bought it. But the point is it's my device. Back to the binder comparison, he buys me the binder as well.

I'm not wanting to sound like an a$$, but in my opinion, if he purchased it, it's not your device. He's loaning it to you (he can take it any time he wishes). Your bedroom is not "your" room. If he sells the house, you don't get to keep your bedroom (maybe too extreme of an example there :)), but. He has all the say in the world. As Alli and others have stated, he may be inaccurate in his statements, but he's the parent and paying the bill. You said you'd pay it if it broke, even if it took a year. What would you do in the that year, expect dad to purchase another one? These devices are a privilege, not a right.

In my opinion, pay him for it now, and you have the say you want in ''making it your own". Until then, I think you should respect his wishes.

Now, my suggestion to you is to gather all the research you can about jailbreaking that shows him that the dangers are slim if you follow procedure and don't get carried away and alter file structures afterward. Also, find where JB'ing is not illegal and not "a direct connect to pirating", somehow people seem to think JB'ing and pirating are the same. Take that information and present it to him in an adult conversation. You never know, if you do your homework, he may respect you for that and allow you to do it. Show him a video demonstrating how easy it is. Make a list of what you want to do once jailbroken. Basically, let him hear from you, intelligently, why JB'ing is beneficial. Let him know you understand the warranty issue, but that the ability to restore to stock is very rare.

good luck,

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
If I took it to an intelligent, mature conversation he may consider allowing me to jailbreak. And thanks for the luck, I need it.

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
You said you'd pay it if it broke, even if it took a year. What would you do in the that year, expect dad to purchase another one? These devices are a privilege, not a right.

No, I'm saying that if it breaks due to a Jailbreak-related incident I WOULD risk my allowance and do extra work to buy a new one. I would not want him to buy me one.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
No, I'm saying that if it breaks due to a Jailbreak-related incident I WOULD risk my allowance and do extra work to buy a new one. I would not want him to buy me one.

That's a good start right there. Letting him know you understand the risk, as small as it may be, and you'll do what ever needed to replace the device shows the start of a mature conversation.

CTECH

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Okay, You know what, nothing works with him. I can't sway him. He'll just be like "No, I don't want to talk about it. I know what it is, I know the risks, I know you'll get a new one if it breaks, but i DON'T want it done." So, I'm done. No jailbreaking. :( I could do it behind his back but my morals won't allow it. *sigh* What's his issue?

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
His issue is he spent $200 on a phone for his child instead of giving you the free feature phone that comes with a line of service. Be thankful for what you've got.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods