New guy question about jailbreaking 3GS

Greyt Willow

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Good afternoon-

I have had an iPhone for 7 months. I read these forums for many months before dropping my trusty BlackBerry after 6 years and going to the iPhone. Before I left the Apple store, I was able to set up tethering by using the download from benm. It has worked great ever since, and I have had no reason to jailbreak. I now have a problem, I want to use MyWi.

My current settings are: iPhone 3GS Version 3.0.1(7A400), Carrier AT&T 4.0 and Model MB715LL. I have a Mac with Snow Leapoard 10.6.3 and iTunes ver 9.1.1 (12).

I have never plugged my iPhone into my computer because I am afraid it will force me to update my software on the phone. I have not been concerned about backing up my phone since I use exchange through work and all of my important stuff is backed up there. I know I may lose some apps, but that is a chance I have been willing to take to avoid updating my software and losing my non jailbreak tethering.

So my questions are:

Can I update to 3.13 and then at some point revert back to 3.0.1 if I change my mind? If so, what are the steps? I have searched extensively and can only find how to revert back to 3.12.

Should I just leave well enough alone since this is all over one feature, and my bluetooth tethering works great now?

I just feel I am pushing my luck, and I would like some experienced opinions to help me justify the upgrade and the loss of non jailbroken tethering.

Thanks for your help. :confused:

Gregg

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Since you have the 3GS (and have never jailbroken), if you update to 3.1.3 you're stuck there.

If you update you will lose your non-jailbreak tethering, but you can add it again IF you jailbreak. I'm not sure if those jailbreak apps are pay apps or not as I have never had a reason to need tethering.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
First, you want to JB 3.01 with Redsnow.

Now, you are on 3.0.1 JB with 4.26 Baseband (great for unlock w/o any issue). You will want to keep that baseband. Thus, just upgrade to 3.12, use PwnageTool to create custom firmware (creating 3.12 OS with 4.26 Baseband). Then, just upgrade with custom firmware through Itunes. Personally, I am still on OS 3.0 and will be waiting for 4.0 JB before upgrading.

With 3GS, to downgrade the OS, you need to have saved your SHSH (for every OS version you want to downgrade) yourself or through Cydia before Itunes will allow it. Do search for instructions on how.

Last edited:

Greyt Willow

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thank you both for the replies. I am still undecided, but I like the step by step offered here by myzhi. When I ma ready, this is how I will tackle the task, unless someone else has another suggestion.

Thanks again!

Gregg

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Since you're with AT&T and don't need to unlocked, just use Spirit. Go ahead and upgrade to 3.1.3 and download Spirit and JB away. You shouldn't have a problem at all.

Search Spirit Jailbreak here and you'll see it's been used by too many to count without issues. Of course there's those one or two that have problems.