Thanks for the guides both of you! Will this work on new mail tone? (obviously the file paths will be different I can figure those out for my self) but will the rename/ replace scheme work for the tone?
    Thanks!
    Absolutely.

Want me to give you the exact name? (And it goes in the same folder/filepath as the SMS tones, FYI)
    08-23-2010 01:43 PM
    Your.Theme.Name/UISounds/new-mail.caf
    08-23-2010 01:46 PM
    Does this guide work for iOS 4.0?
    08-23-2010 02:05 PM
    Yes, this works for iOS4 on the iPhone 3G, 3G[s], and 4. I'm personally using it on 4.0.1, on ALL THREE of the phones I mentioned above, so I can verify that.
    08-24-2010 06:44 PM
    Cool, I should try this on my phone
    08-26-2010 09:09 AM
    thhats pretty awsome thanks
    10-28-2010 07:31 AM
    many thanks for the walkthrough ;o)
    11-10-2010 07:20 PM
    Thanks. Very detailed and easy to understand
    01-29-2011 10:28 AM
    Actually, there's a simpler way that I've been messing with.

You need to create the system SMS tones. This also works with all system sounds.

SSH into your themes folder (/Library/Themes), and create a folder. It can be called anything. I call mine "Custom UI Sounds).

So the path should read:
    /Library/Themes/Custom UI sounds

Once again, that's just an example of a folder.

INSIDE the folder you created, create another folder called "UISounds". So the path should read:
    /Library/Themes/Custom UI Sounds/UISounds

in this folder, place all the system sounds you created. They must be named correctly though, so if you want to "replace" a SMS tone, you need to name it "sms-received1.caf" - "sms-received5.caf". (It allows me to rename the 1st one)

Then, respring.

Open Winterboard. Enable your new "Theme" (Custom UI Sounds).

Respring.

Voil.

All sounds are overridden by Winterboard.
    Thanks a million for the detailed step-by-step guide. Unfortunately, I have been trying to get it to work without much success.

As background, I jailbroke the phone and have OpenSSH installed. I prepared the 6 SMS tones using the process you described (converted them from MP3 to ".aif," then renamed them ".caf"

I have a MAC so I used CyberDuck instead of WinSCP. I went into the "stash" folder then "themes."

I created subfolders within "stash" that read as follows: /Library/Themes/Custom UI Sounds/UISounds

I loaded my 6 custom SMS tones, named "sms-received1 - 6.caf" into the "UISounds" subfolder.

Then, I disconnected from CyberDuck and opened Winterboard.

I put a check mark next to "Custom UI Sounds" and hit respring. THEN nothing.......I still see only the original 6 tones. Does having BiteSMS installed interfere with this procedure?

Am I missing a key app or something?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by tourstagefan; 02-15-2011 at 05:54 PM.
    02-15-2011 05:51 PM
    It should go into your already existing Library/Themes folder, not stash. In other words, the file path looks wrong--open up your filesystem and look for the Library folder; the Themes folder should be in that. (If you have Winterboard installed, it should already have some themes inside of it.) Inside of that Themes folder, create the Custom UI Sounds/UISounds folder, then carry on as above.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-15-2011 09:44 PM
    It should go into your already existing Library/Themes folder, not stash. In other words, the file path looks wrong--open up your filesystem and look for the Library folder; the Themes folder should be in that. (If you have Winterboard installed, it should already have some themes inside of it.) Inside of that Themes folder, create the Custom UI Sounds/UISounds folder, then carry on as above.
    Ok, will try that. Thank you!
    02-15-2011 10:43 PM
    Sure, let us know how it goes.
    02-15-2011 11:54 PM
    Ok, will try that. Thank you!
    So, I SSH'ed into the library and it turns out I did create the folder in the correct location. See screenshot below.

Could it be that using ToneFXs AND BiteSMS together with Winterboard is causing the error?

Thanks!
    02-17-2011 11:43 PM
    Everything looks good it should work. I have BiteSMS and the sounds in my themes all work. I will check my setup once I get to work(I checked and it should work). I just wanted to ask if you have BiteSMS why not just use that for the text tones? You can set them under settings by using iTunes tones or something like that. It will offer you the custom ringtones you have. So what I do is get my m4r files and I rename them once they are in iTunes to have SMS at the end of the name so I can differentiate from actual ringtones.

Actually now that I think about it you need to check two things. If you want to find out easily if it's bite disable it and send a test text. Then go into Bite and go into the settings. When you install it Bite assigns the current ringtone to your most texted peeps. You will see a list of people just swipe to the right and delete. This just clears them from whatever tone has been assigned. Just make sure you're in the settings of Bite. You can also check Bite to see what tone it has set as default.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 02-18-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-18-2011 07:07 AM
    I put a check mark next to "Custom UI Sounds" and hit respring. THEN nothing.......I still see only the original 6 tones. Does having BiteSMS installed interfere with this procedure?
    Dumb question, but did you actually listen to the tones after you activated the UISounds theme? Because the names won't change, just the sounds. Bite won't matter, I've done this exact thing with Bite installed and it works fine.

One other thought--I don't use ToneFX; it is possible you need to reset it to use the new tones (either by reselecting them or rebooting maybe)? Just a thought.
    02-18-2011 08:50 AM
    Dumb question, but did you actually listen to the tones after you activated the UISounds theme? Because the names won't change, just the sounds. Bite won't matter, I've done this exact thing with Bite installed and it works fine.

One other thought--I don't use ToneFX; it is possible you need to reset it to use the new tones (either by reselecting them or rebooting maybe)? Just a thought.
    I realize that the original labels for the 6 SMS tones will remain the same. Unfortunately, they still all generate the same single tone.

So, I removed the "Custom UI Sounds" folder from the "stash" folder and now the "Custom UI Sounds" theme no longer shows up on Winterboard.....

Should I try deleting both the "BiteSMS" and "ToneFXs" apps? Then, using CyberDuck, perhaps try overwriting the existing "sms-received1-6.caf" files with fresh ones?

Thanks again for everyone's input, it's really great to have such a helpful resource!
    02-18-2011 05:00 PM
    Wait, you say you removed it from stashdid you ever put it in the Library>Themes folder and try to activate that one? If it's in that folder it should show in WB.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-18-2011 07:47 PM
    Wait, you say you removed it from stashdid you ever put it in the Library>Themes folder and try to activate that one? If it's in that folder it should show in WB.
    Yup, did that first. So strange that it is not working.
    02-19-2011 01:22 AM
    Why don't you try this, get in there with cyberduck and grab one of the original .caf files that you will replace. This will be your backup of the original, once you have it downloaded to your computer upload your custom file with the same name to the location. Then respring your phone and choose that tone from sounds under settings. It should give you a sample when you click on it see if it plays your custom tone.

I have had a problem like this where my icons just don't change in my theme for camera and photos. It's like it's pulling it from somewhere other than the original location. So if that doesn't work I say do it through BiteSMS.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-19-2011 09:16 AM
    thank you!!!
    02-19-2011 09:26 AM
    Yup, did that first. So strange that it is not working.
    So strange. I'd probably just start fresh and do it step by step again very methodically. Check to make sure all your spelling/capitalization is correct as this stuff is case-sensitive. Make sure none of the tones are too long--I think there's a limit of 25-30 seconds. Maybe try adding .theme to the end of your Custom UISounds folder. (Shouldn't matter, but why not?) Make sure it's in the correct Library>Themes folder under Root. Maybe try rebooting instead of just respringing. We'll hit on it eventually.

I like Ipheuria's idea too about testing things that way!
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-19-2011 10:11 AM
    Why don't you try this, get in there with cyberduck and grab one of the original .caf files that you will replace. This will be your backup of the original, once you have it downloaded to your computer upload your custom file with the same name to the location. Then respring your phone and choose that tone from sounds under settings. It should give you a sample when you click on it see if it plays your custom tone.

I have had a problem like this where my icons just don't change in my theme for camera and photos. It's like it's pulling it from somewhere other than the original location. So if that doesn't work I say do it through BiteSMS.
    Thanks for the helpful advice. Will try it now!
    02-19-2011 07:23 PM
    So strange. I'd probably just start fresh and do it step by step again very methodically. Check to make sure all your spelling/capitalization is correct as this stuff is case-sensitive. Make sure none of the tones are too long--I think there's a limit of 25-30 seconds. Maybe try adding .theme to the end of your Custom UISounds folder. (Shouldn't matter, but why not?) Make sure it's in the correct Library>Themes folder under Root. Maybe try rebooting instead of just respringing. We'll hit on it eventually.

I like Ipheuria's idea too about testing things that way!
    Will do. Thanks again!
    02-19-2011 07:23 PM
    Yeah Massie gave you some sound advice there I think we'll be able to get it working for you. You could also as a test use a tone from Free Ringtones for mobile and iPhone - Audiko this is where I get all my SMS tones. At the top make sure the search bar says Audiko search and search for SMS Tones. Then when you find one download the mp3 version and turn it into a .caf file. This way you can be sure there are no timing issues etc. You could also change the name of the file in your UISounds folder to lock or unlock. This would set the tone as the lock or unlock sound. If it works for that then you know your file is good and your folder placement is right. If it doesn't work it gives us a little more info on what might be the problem.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-20-2011 01:12 AM
    SUCCESS!

On a hunch, I thought that "ToneFXs" may have been the cause of the problem.

I removed it, et voila! My 6 tones are in the original slots under the original SMS tone names.

Thanks so much to everyone who tried to help me resolve this, special thanks to "Massie" and "Ipheuria" for all the helpful suggestions!

It is support like this that makes this forum such a close-knit community!
    02-21-2011 06:34 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD