Anyone know how to completely get rid of all personal info on the phone?

starbai

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
My Iphone is jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.2... I want to sell the phone to my cousin but I want to get all my information off of it... I dont need to back it up, I just want to wipe it clean of my info.

The problem is the only ways I can think of doing it may require me to upgrade the firmware to 3.1.3 and I dont want to do that beacuse I want the phone to remain jailbroken and unlocked.

Does anyone know if this is possible? or do I have to go and manually delete everything?

Thanks in advance guys!

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
You can shift-click restore to 3.1.2 - keeping your unlock and allowing you to JB.

Add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to your hosts file located at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
Shift Click Restore in iTunes when phone is plugged in, locate your downloaded 3.1.2 firmware file
Wait until complete.

Download iRecovery from Hackintosh (Google it, first result) and enter the following commands at a command prompt, when the phone has the "Plug into itunes" logo.

setenv auto-boot true
saveenv
exit

Reboot phone - hold sleep and home until phone restarts.

Plug into itunes one last time, make sure to not sync or use a backup

starbai

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
You can shift-click restore to 3.1.2 - keeping your unlock and allowing you to JB.

Add 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com to your hosts file located at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
Shift Click Restore in iTunes when phone is plugged in, locate your downloaded 3.1.2 firmware file
Wait until complete.

Download iRecovery from Hackintosh (Google it, first result) and enter the following commands at a command prompt, when the phone has the "Plug into itunes" logo.

setenv auto-boot true
saveenv
exit

Reboot phone - hold sleep and home until phone restarts.

Plug into itunes one last time, make sure to not sync or use a backup

I really appreciate the detailed response... didn't expect such a through reply but am glad you did.

Unfortunately I am using a Mac and I'm no where near as well versed with it as I am with a PC... I've done things to the HOSTS file before in Windows but I've never messed with anything in terminal under OSX...

Can anyone help me with a similar set of insturctions such as this for me, a mac user? Whatever you suggest, terminal or not, I'll google it if I dont understand your post fully, and will figure out how to do it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Never jailbroken a phone so not sure if it removes the option in the settings of a non-jailbroken phone, but check and see.

Settings > General > Reset

In here there is a "Erase all content and settings", but not sure if it's still there for JB.

starbai

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Never jailbroken a phone so not sure if it removes the option in the settings of a non-jailbroken phone, but check and see.

Settings > General > Reset

In here there is a "Erase all content and settings", but not sure if it's still there for JB.
thanks for the tip.

does anyone know if this would affect the fact that its jailbroken/unlocked? in otherwords, would its jailbroken-ness be one of the settings it erases?

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I am certain that the jailbreak would not exist after a reset from the phone - your phone has a copy of the currently installed firmware backed up on the device so when you hit reset it restores it

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
If u do a reset thru your phone, that will wipe ur jb just as if you'd done it thru iTunes. Just take the time to delete all ur contacts, pics, text, call log and email. Simple.

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes it will but you can re jailbreak and unlock it - this method will not upgrade any software as you've never plugged it into iTunes.

Just after the restore - re jailbreak the phone and use sn0w to unlock it. DO NOT upgrade to 3.1.3 if you want to keep your unlock.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Very tru Wiltron. Starbai, keep in mind that method may take between and hour or two to complete, but u wot be upgrading which is a good thing.

Guzman

Mar 18, 2010
www.GuzmanWebsites.com
my suggestion is just do it the correct way and wipe the whole device like they suggested. Then Re JB/Unlock it so that you have that piece of mind.

....you can also always drive over it, and cremate the remains... that is a surefire way to do it :) Not sure if your cousin would still want it though. lol

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh