OK I have a 3g iphone with 2.2 (5g77) and 2.28 modem firmware.. On ATT network.. it's been jail broken for a long time and I never bothered to update or keep on top of the scene as the JB phone has done everything iv'e needed.. well now most new apps wont run on 2.2 and require 3.x and I see new jailbroken only apps I'd like now.. It's been a while.. so long that I don't even have the PC I J.broke it on in the first place any longer.. upgraded it a few times since then.

So any one want to help me get up to speed?? Downloading the current itunes now.. I don't ever use itunes so starting fresh there also.

I have loads of tech background.. just don't know where to begin to get current from my current JB 2.2 state.

I don't really have anything on this iphone that I need.. I don't really use allot of apps and the apps that I do have will be replaced by better apps now on 3x. So no really need to back them up.

I mainly use it for tethering, web surfing, and email, besides a phone.
    Last edited by e-ville; 05-04-2010 at 10:13 PM.
    05-04-2010 09:52 PM
    Assuming that since you are using AT&T you don't need the phone to be unlocked...

My thinking is if you install the new itunes, upgrade to 3.1.3, and then download and run the Spirit Jailbreak you should be ok.

everything I read about Spirit said you'll need to restore and ditch the old JB before using Spirit, I'm not sure if the 3.1.3 upgrade will count as the restore or if you'll need to restore before you upgrade to 3.1.3.

I'm not sure if you'll want to back up your SHSH blobs, or if it will even matter because you're making a decent leap over a couple of OSes.

you should probably take all that with a grain of salt, as my jailbreaking experience is limited to one time...but theoretically it makes sense.
    05-04-2010 10:10 PM
    Yeah I don't need to be unlocked , just jail broke.

Yeah thats where I'm a bit confused.. allot has changed since it was broke originally. I've heard the same, on both sides.. looking for a definitive answer..

I plug it in and itunes says there the 3.1.3 OS and a carrier upgrade available.
    05-04-2010 10:17 PM
    Updating to 3.1.3 will wipe out your current JB. You could then download Spirit and run it to JB. That will install Cydia. From there, you should be able to get your apps that you have been using back, and then some.
    05-04-2010 10:44 PM
    So just let itunes do the update and ill be good? meaning I'll have a factory jailed 3.1.3 iphone.

I don't need to unjailbreak or any of that stuff..??

Yeah I don't care about loosing what i have now.. way cooler stuff is out there now.. But I do need a working phone
    05-04-2010 10:57 PM
    Updating to 3.1.3 should simply remove your current JB as it updates the firmware leaving you with a factory 3.1.3 iPhone.
    05-04-2010 11:11 PM
    Well here goes nothing.. iTunes is downloading 3.1.3...
    05-04-2010 11:12 PM
    Just reporting ... upgrade from 2.2 jailbroke to jailed 3.1.3 went perfect.. Next spirit
    05-04-2010 11:52 PM
    Spirit worked flawlessly.. Kudos to the Dev team!!.. and Apple for that matter

And thanks for the advice on the forum here.. much appreciated!
    05-05-2010 12:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD