So Cydia greeted me today with the "Essential Upgrades" options, which included an install of "iPhone Firmware /sbin" and "UIKit Tools," along with upgrades to backgrounder, BigBoss, diskdev, etc.

I've been reading that confirming these has led to some people getting stuck in a reboot cycle, so I've been holding off...anyone have any news on this, good or bad? Or what that firmware file contains?
    05-03-2010 04:58 PM
    Happened to me last night. I was using my 32GB 3Gs 3.12 non-tethered until I upgraded those files last night. End result is that I got stuck with the apple logo for a few seconds and then nothing. Spent quite a few hours last night trying to figure out a solution.

This morning I bit the bullet and restored and upgraded to 3.13. Used Spirit to jailbreak and everything is slowly getting back to normal. Only downside is that I couldn't get a backup to work that would bring back my settings, contacts, etc.
    05-03-2010 05:23 PM
    Happened to me last night. I was using my 32GB 3Gs 3.12 non-tethered until I upgraded those files last night. End result is that I got stuck with the apple logo for a few seconds and then nothing. Spent quite a few hours last night trying to figure out a solution.

This morning I bit the bullet and restored and upgraded to 3.13. Used Spirit to jailbreak and everything is slowly getting back to normal. Only downside is that I couldn't get a backup to work that would bring back my settings, contacts, etc.
    ditto. i tried to download it and it gave me an error and then my phone would boot and turn itself off while on the apple logo. i am restoring it to 3.1.3 (was JB on 3.1.2) and i am NOT going to JB it again. its a 3G so i'll just wait for the new iphone to come out.

ok i lied. i have 3.1.3 now (yay...lol) and i used spirit to jb. we shall see how i like it. spirit is FAST as all hell though i will say that!
    Last edited by BrianT; 05-03-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    05-03-2010 07:14 PM
    Thanks for the updates...I guess I'll keep holding off. BrianT, if you think of it, report back on how your spiritJB experience compares; I'd be interested to hear of any differences in speed, lag, etc.
    05-04-2010 12:00 AM
    I was previously using pwnagetool for 3.1.2 and not blackra1n. Pwnagetool, however it works, was causing my phone to boot soooooo slow it was frustrating as all hell. Also it seemed to make my 3G lag a little bit. The Spirit JB is soooooo easy to do and it has dramatically improved the amount of time the phone takes to reboot. So far I am very glad my phone got screwed up due to cydia and I had to restore and use Spirit to break 3.1.3. One thing I will say is I hid cydia and I will only be using rock from now on. I kind of lost trust in cydia after today.
    05-04-2010 02:08 AM
    I did all of those updates in cydia and not one problem. All is well.
    05-04-2010 08:33 AM
    it happend to me today i could not reboot my iphone i had to restore 3.1.3 and jail break with spirit
    05-04-2010 08:18 PM
    I guess if there's a silver lining here, it's that Spirit is out...things could have been worse still!
    05-04-2010 09:36 PM
    Further findings...I hardly used my phone today and it drained more battery than usual on days that I use my phone a decent amount. I'm going to keep my eye on this and see if it is a constant issue.
    05-05-2010 01:42 AM
    I've been having issues with Cydia hanging when trying to install sources. I have to respring everytime. It never gives me the option to "return to cydia". Anyone have any info on this?
    05-05-2010 09:55 AM
    It's because EVERYONE just jailbroke their phones and is trying to access the same sources and files and it's overwhelming the servers. Just be patient and everything should be back to normal in a few days once the traffic dies down.
    05-05-2010 11:18 AM
    the SAME thing happened to me last night! I tried to updated either sydia or backgrounder and got the apple logo for a few seconds then nothing. Could not hard reset or anything. Forced to restore from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 and then re-jailbroke with Spirit. Good timing for that JB to come out. So far, so good. I have noticed some battery drain but I've been messing with the phone trying to get everything back to normal. I went into rock and had backed all JB stuff tehre so that was pretty easy to restore then resotred thru a previous back up on iTunes and everything seems basically back to normal. Oh well, at least I am current now (3.1.3). I wonder what is happening? I was really pissed last night.
    05-05-2010 11:42 AM
    yep , its busted ,

i had to restore last night not knowing what caused my problem. I got the cydia error again and googled it and sure enough it removes files from sbin , bin , and user/sbin and makes your iphone a paper weight.

Have to restore again tonight. This is pathetic.
    05-05-2010 02:16 PM
    why isn't this a bigger story?
    05-05-2010 04:25 PM
    yup. im guessing its the server overload, I tried to jailbreak my 3g, was succesful, but when i tried to find apps/themes even from the featured section, it said it couldnt be loaded with the sources i did. I just tried a restore, and am gonna rejailbreak it. Hopefully it works :/
    05-05-2010 05:25 PM
    I did it and it bricked my phone... in the middle of restoring and loading it back up again.
    05-05-2010 09:24 PM
    i guess we're all having the same problems?
    i just jailbroke my iphone 3GS firmware 3.1.3 MC model.
    I keep trying to add sources for cydia and it constantly says 'failure to cache', 'host unapproachable', and BS like that..

So as Iphone users, wth do we do?!

does anybody know the real cause of this?
    05-05-2010 11:22 PM
    why isn't this a bigger story?

no kidding... this should be huge. or is it just the few of us?
    05-05-2010 11:23 PM
    I updated, or tried to at least and my phone won't boot up. Don't do it. I can't do anything, I hope its not bricked.
    05-06-2010 01:18 AM
    its not bricked, just resore 3.1.3 through itunes and then jailbreak with spirit. that has happened to some of us here.
    05-06-2010 12:01 PM
    yuup, nothing worked except recovery mode. I had to restore and I lost EVERYTHING. I didnt have a backup because I reformatted my pc when I installed windows 7 a month ago and haven't synched or backed up my phone since. Everything I already bought on the app store is showing up as buy now instead of download again. I don't know how to get my stuff back but I'm really pissed, my phone was like a laptop to me. I used it for everything and I had so many apps. I mean it works, but without the jailbreak and all my apps it sucks. Can you redownload the apps that you paid for on cydia upon re-jailbreaking? I'm pretty sure I clicked no to the dialogue that pops up when you first start up cydia upon jailbreaking (originally). I told Rock to save my stuff bc I didn't realize what cydia was asking, I just clicked no.

Haven't rejailbroken and according to this: cydia.saurik.com/upgrading/ I can't on a 3GS running 3.1.3. Which is why I was sticking with 3.1.2, this sucks.
    05-06-2010 03:25 PM
    I lost everything too, haven't backed up in a while. Just don't even think about it since I'm JB. Had to restore, thank God for Spirit.

Just used spirit, using a Rock back up for all my packages. Just lost several photos and videos that I really wanted! As long as you backed up Rock, yo should be able to get back packages.

yuup, nothing worked except recovery mode. I had to restore and I lost EVERYTHING. I didnt have a backup because I reformatted my pc when I installed windows 7 a month ago and haven't synched or backed up my phone since. Everything I already bought on the app store is showing up as buy now instead of download again. I don't know how to get my stuff back but I'm really pissed, my phone was like a laptop to me. I used it for everything and I had so many apps. I mean it works, but without the jailbreak and all my apps it sucks. Can you redownload the apps that you paid for on cydia upon re-jailbreaking? I'm pretty sure I clicked no to the dialogue that pops up when you first start up cydia upon jailbreaking (originally). I told Rock to save my stuff bc I didn't realize what cydia was asking, I just clicked no.

Haven't rejailbroken and according to this: cydia.saurik.com/upgrading/ I can't on a 3GS running 3.1.3. Which is why I was sticking with 3.1.2, this sucks.
    05-06-2010 03:35 PM
    cool, if I can rejailbreak, I'm just worried about the app store stuff I purchased now. Gonna ask apple/at&t.
    05-06-2010 03:38 PM
    Thanks for all the news, everyone...I'm still avoiding the updates. Cydia seems pretty crushed these days anyway; I opened it up today and it went down almost immediately. We'll see if things calm down soon, but this is a drag.

Circa, do get/save app store receipt emails? Copies of those would probably help your cause if you're talking to Apple.
    05-06-2010 11:56 PM
    So I just opened Cydia and it told me there is an important update to "Cydia installer" my current version is 1.0.3172-68 and the updated version is 1.0.3188-69.

I haven't wanted to update it yet because of this thread, but was curious to know if anyone has had any problems while attempting to update their Cydia installer.
    05-13-2010 03:48 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD