A friend just mentioned that 6 months ago he spilled some water on his 2g and it no longer worked. Its been he sit it in a box with a small heater to dry it out for 2 days but didnt work. So I took it and tried to get into DFU mode and it worked and itunes saw it. The screen briefly came on, all white, then went off and now is all black. I tried restore on itunes and it goes about 90 percent and then stops. definitely the lcd needs replaced but anyone else revive an almost dead water damaged phone that can give advice?
    04-26-2010 11:35 PM
    Since the phone is pretty much bricked, don't be afraid to dismantle it and check for corrosion and component damage. It's not like you wont break it again right?

How to take apart or disassemble an iPhone 2G/1st generation | Video « Wonder How To

A good video on how to disassemble is right there, by PDA Parts. I've used their work before, on a Palm Pre dismantle.

Use a small toothbrush or small paint brush (for models and what not, not a brush you'd use to paint a door or wall) to whisk away any dust and water dropplets inside. Check to see if you can see any wires that are broken or rusting/corroding, and if they are, and you feel comfortable doing so, resodder them back on.

If you don't feel comfortable resoddering, don't do it! Find someone who will do it for you.

If all is visably fine, after going over it with a fine toothed comb (figure of speech), then it may be damage to the connector pins / connector assembly, check for corrosion and broken pins. Lastly, if its all good down there, and still not working, its cell damage to the NAND memory, and its pretty much a write off unless you're an electrical engineer and can replace it cell by cell.
    04-27-2010 12:59 AM
    Make sure it's off, then try putting it in a ziplock bag with some rice and then sticking it in the fridge for a day or so.
    04-27-2010 04:23 PM
    Submerge it in rubbing alcohol, then let it dry in a slightly warmer than average area. If any of the contacts corroded, there will be problems. Even after the rubbing alcohol bath you will still need to dis-assemble and clean the corrosion.
    04-27-2010 04:35 PM
    Make sure it's off, then try putting it in a ziplock bag with some rice and then sticking it in the fridge for a day or so.
    really? You've done that and it helped?
    04-27-2010 04:45 PM
    Submerge it in rubbing alcohol, then let it dry in a slightly warmer than average area. If any of the contacts corroded, there will be problems. Even after the rubbing alcohol bath you will still need to dis-assemble and clean the corrosion.
    and this doesnt harm the LCD?
    04-27-2010 04:45 PM
    shouldn't, Ethyl Alcohol is the solvent used to clean the internals at the factory. If the LCD is already dead (sounds like a fair assessment), there's very little risk. But corrosion is VERY likely if this happend 6 mos ago and it wasn't properly treated then. The rubbing alcohol trick is best used when the phone is still wet aftger submersion.
    04-27-2010 04:48 PM
    shouldn't, Ethyl Alcohol is the solvent used to clean the internals at the factory. If the LCD is already dead (sounds like a fair assessment), there's very little risk. But corrosion is VERY likely if this happend 6 mos ago and it wasn't properly treated then. The rubbing alcohol trick is best used when the phone is still wet aftger submersion.
    hmmm, well I'll take it apart and remove the LCD just in case and then submerge it and will post the results. Thanks.
    04-27-2010 04:53 PM
    Not something I'd do...I'd do the bag of rice, or try to get your hands on some silica and put it in a bag of that and see what you can do. If the water damage is old, the corrosion may be done and the phone DOA regardless of what you do.
    04-27-2010 05:26 PM
    Not something I'd do...I'd do the bag of rice, or try to get your hands on some silica and put it in a bag of that and see what you can do. If the water damage is old, the corrosion may be done and the phone DOA regardless of what you do.

I'd do that if the water was recent but its old and all dried up. I opened the phone and there is some bad corrosion.I'm going to try to clean it. The phone does work in DFU mode, and almost will restore so I am hoping I can bring it back to life.
    04-27-2010 05:39 PM
    question: since the lcd is dead, I cant tell if its off. I hooked to itunes and it says its in dfu, does that mean its still on right? I held both buttons for 15 secs and that didnt take out of dfu, nor did holding just one of the buttons. do I have to disconnect the battery before cleaning with alcohol?
    04-27-2010 05:42 PM
    DONT SUBMERGE IT IN ETHYL ALCOHOL!!

Come on people - you almost made his LCD screen FUBAR!

Care and Maintenance of LCD Screens

Isopropyl Alcohol is what you want to use, however it is difficult to handle because of its fast evaporation rate at room temperature. You'll need to work with it in a cold environment such as a walk in fridge / freezer or outside if its cold enough where you live.

Rice is a natural absorbent, much like Silica is an artificial absorbent, but if its been 6 months, there's a very strong chance of no moisture left inside there. Corrosion cleaning is your best bet, dismantle and clean.
    Last edited by Wiltron; 04-28-2010 at 01:41 AM.
    04-28-2010 01:33 AM
    Remember: If water can get in, it can get out via evaporation, especially if it was near a heater..
    04-28-2010 01:44 AM
    DONT SUBMERGE IT IN ETHYL ALCOHOL!!

Come on people - you almost made his LCD screen FUBAR!

Care and Maintenance of LCD Screens

Isopropyl Alcohol is what you want to use, however it is difficult to handle because of its fast evaporation rate at room temperature. You'll need to work with it in a cold environment such as a walk in fridge / freezer or outside if its cold enough where you live.

Rice is a natural absorbent, much like Silica is an artificial absorbent, but if its been 6 months, there's a very strong chance of no moisture left inside there. Corrosion cleaning is your best bet, dismantle and clean.
    Hmmm...
    oops... A.D.D. moment... Good catch!! Isopropyl is what I meant to say. Soory for the confusion there.
    My Bad!!!
    04-30-2010 10:25 AM
    update: The phone wouldn't turn off so I dismantled and since its a 2g and the battery is soldered I decided to let it sit until I am sure the battery is dead then I need to clean the contacts. Whats a good tool to use with the alcohol to clean them?
    04-30-2010 02:52 PM
    Dab it with a microfiber cloth, one that wont leave behind fibers (Paper Towel for instance, will).
    04-30-2010 03:07 PM
    If you can find them, use fiber-free cotton swabs, but they're expensive and hard to find. They're just like the cotton swabs in your bathroom, but they dont leave behind any fiber when struck with a sharp object. They actually weave it around the hard plastic stick, like a fabric.
    04-30-2010 03:10 PM
    Radio Shack (in the US) sells 'em. I don't know on cost though.
    04-30-2010 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD