I have a 3GS 3.1.2 jailbroken. I never got into the scene, and as such never really did anything after I jailbroke it. Anyway, I'm a tester for a dev. I want to update to the 4.0 beta. I have a few questions about this process.

First, can I just download and install 4.0 and expect it to patch up and remove my current jailbreak? I don't mind losing the jailbreak, since I never utilized it. Does this cause problems or "flag" my phone as tampered, or just a clean install and fix my jailbreak?

Alternately, should I do a full restore on my iPhone before the upgrade to ensure there are no problems? That seems fairly time consuming, and I'd like to avoid it if possible. Also, since I've never done that before, does iTunes retain my contact info? If I did the "delete all content" restore, I am hoping iTunes keeps that info for an easy restore.

Sorry for so many questions. Hopefully, someone can understand that mess of text and help out.
    04-09-2010 02:17 PM
    No, no, and no. If the dev wants you to update to the 4.0 beta, have him give you explicit instructions - he will have to add you to his account anyway to get you the beta. If you don't do it right, you risk serious damage to your iPhone. (Read @iMuggle's great posts on the subject.)
    04-09-2010 03:53 PM
    I would also add that unless you have another iPhone that is your primary device, I wouldn't do it. Too incomplete, risky, and unstable.
    04-09-2010 04:11 PM
    None of these 'warnings' stopped me from using 3.0 last year, honestly. *lol*

It's cool though, to each his own. Trust me, if he really wants to do it, he'll find a way.
    04-09-2010 08:53 PM
    Last year with 3.0 the file system had not changed. This year with 4.0 it has.
    04-09-2010 09:11 PM
    I thought the iPhone didn't have a file system? There's no way to save documents, browse to attach files made in office related programs and the like. Isn't that one of the complaints of the iPhone OS in general? That it doesn't have a file system?
    04-09-2010 10:32 PM
    Yes there is, just not with a stock iPhone. On a jailbroken device, you can do everything you just mentioned once you figure out root access....
    04-10-2010 01:15 AM
    I thought the iPhone didn't have a file system? There's no way to save documents, browse to attach files made in office related programs and the like. Isn't that one of the complaints of the iPhone OS in general? That it doesn't have a file system?
    Please note the difference between a file system and a file manager...
    04-10-2010 02:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD