My sister just got an older 3g and Im trying to unlock it for her but am having some problems. I was able to jailbreak fine but not able to unlock. I spent several hours going through the steps exactly like how it says on this site but was not successful.

Her phone is on the baseband 05.11.07/ bootloader 06.04 and firmware 3.0. What are my options on unlocking at this point? This phone has never been jailbroken so ecid has not been saved to Cydia.

Is there any way that I can update to 3.1.2 or am I stuck on 3.0? Thanks fellas for your expertise!
    Last edited by Nht; 04-07-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    04-07-2010 10:57 AM
    Since it's a 3G just find the 3.1.2 firmware here: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Then do a shift+restore and then use your jailbreak tool of choice.
    04-07-2010 11:12 AM
    Or since he said the jailbreak worked, he could also use sn0wbreeze for Windows or PwnageTool for Mac, preserve his baseband so he can unlock with blacksn0w, and then upgrade that way to current... That's also an alternative method.

I do believe that both will work.
    04-07-2010 11:50 AM
    Or since he said the jailbreak worked, he could also use sn0wbreeze for Windows or PwnageTool for Mac, preserve his baseband so he can unlock with blacksn0w, and then upgrade that way to current... That's also an alternative method.

I do believe that both will work.
    He's on 3.0 currently, there's no need to preserve the baseband if upgrading to 3.1.2 as that's the version of the baseband in 3.1.2 ( it sounds like the 3G was on 3.1.2 and downgraded to 3.0 ). Blacksn0w should technically work now right now without having to do anything else, but upgrading to 3.1.2 isn't necessarily a bad idea either. Then you can use blacksn0w to unlock.

Your choice.
    04-07-2010 12:46 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'd love to upgrade to 3.1.2 but to my understanding, it's not possible to restore to any firmware other than 3.1.3. I actually tried that last night and a pop up said something like I'm not able to restore to this firmware as it is not the correct one. Don't remember the exact words but that's the jest of it.

Is there a work around for going from 3.0 to 3.1.2 on a phone that's never been jailbroken or the ecid is not saved in Cydia?
    Last edited by Nht; 04-07-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    04-07-2010 02:30 PM
    Then unfortunately, I think the only option left may be to use the sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool method, use those to create a custom firmware of 3.1.3. This would preserve your 05.11.07 baseband meaning that you could use blacksn0w to unlock once you restored.

A custom firmware comes PRE jailbroken, meaning that as soon as you restore to the custom firmware, you start your iPhone and it's already jailbroken. This may be your only option to unlock, as far as I can see....

However, before we go that route, using big9's method, did you modify your host file to be directed to saurik's servers instead of Apple's?
    04-07-2010 02:37 PM
    Also, the ECID/SHSH hashes only apply to the 3G[s].

AND, in your first post, you said the phone had successfully been jailbroken, but in your most recent post you said it had not been jailbroken.

Which one is it? If it HAS been jailbroken, then my method will work. If it has not, then it won't.
    04-07-2010 02:40 PM
    Are you sure you have a 3G and not a 3GS? If you do a SHIFT+RESTORE after downloading the proper file, you should be able to restore an iPhone 3G to 3.1.2.
    04-07-2010 02:52 PM
    Sorry for the confusion guys. This phone has never been jailbroken before it was in my hands. It's a 3g running firmware 3.0 and I jailbroke it last night using redsnow. I'm certain that it's a 3g as it only has 8gb storage.

After reading your recommendations I attempted to unlock using blacksnow thru Cydia but it wouldn't allow me to as it only works for firmware 3.1 and up.

Lvcifer: how do I go about restoring to a custom firmware? Last night when I tried doing SHIFT+RESTORE to 3.1.2 it iTunes wouldn't let me.

Note: if it makes a difference as to theoretically why I can't do a SHIFT+RESTORE. I have previously modified my windows file to accomodate a restore for 3gs. Could this be the reason why I can't restore to 3.1.2?
    Last edited by Nht; 04-07-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    04-07-2010 03:06 PM
    Are you sure you downloaded the proper 3.1.2 for the 3G?
    04-07-2010 03:22 PM
    Are you sure you downloaded the proper 3.1.2 for the 3G?
    it was an old 3.1.2 firmware that I've used previously to restore and jailbreak. Is the firmware link posted above the correct thAt would work for my situation? I could try that tonight when I get home
    04-07-2010 03:25 PM
    it was an old 3.1.2 firmware that I've used previously to restore and jailbreak. Is the firmware link posted above the correct thAt would work for my situation? I could try that tonight when I get home
    Yes, but restore and jailbreak on what device? On that same device or a different one?

A 3GS uses a different version of 3.1.2 than a 3G uses.
    04-07-2010 03:36 PM
    Just checked your link from above and I even tried last night to do a restore from a firmware from there but iTunes wouldn't let me right after I pressed shift+restore. There was an immediate pop denying me the ability
    04-07-2010 03:41 PM
    Do you recall what the error said?

Edit: Also, what version of iTunes do you have installed?
    Last edited by big9erfan; 04-07-2010 at 03:52 PM.
    04-07-2010 03:44 PM
    I don't have a definite answer to both questions. I know that I don't have the very latest release of iTunes. I believe it is the one that's one version older than the newest. Is it ok to update to the newest iTunes? I just didn't want to chance it and left well enough alone.

As far as the error message, in going to have to report back tonight.
    04-07-2010 04:18 PM
    Sorry to reiterate buy is it ok to update to the latest iTunes? I vaguely rememeber someone claiming that they lost their jailbreak/unlock after updating their iTunes.
    04-07-2010 05:34 PM
    Ok, right now I'm on the road but once I get home, I'll give you detailed descriptions on how to upgrade via a custom firmware - but you must be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you're on a 3G, and that it's currently jailbroken.

Stay tuned...
    04-07-2010 05:50 PM
    You should be fine to update to 9.0.3, but in doing so you will lose the ability to use blackra1n easily, though there are workarounds.
    04-07-2010 05:53 PM
    Lucifer. Just confirmed that it is indeed 3g 8gb firmware 3.0. I'm tuned in and eagerly awaiting your instructions.
    04-07-2010 07:51 PM
    Dude, I apologize! For the past couple of days, I thought I had already posted the link!

It was a long day(s) man, sorry.

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 with Sn0wbreeze | Redmond Pie

Now, this will update you to 3.1.3 while preserving your baseband for the unlock.

If you have ANY questions, PM me or hit me up on Twitter(@FEARtheSERVER) and I'll help as beSt I can.

I'm sure there will be a question or two - it's ok. Just contact me and I'll help.

Good luck man.
    04-10-2010 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD