restore as new to 3.1.2 possible?

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I have an iphone 3G jailbroken and unlocked, using on tmobile. I want to wipe it out to give to my daughter, but it needs to be unlocked again for tmobile.

I have an original itunes install file from October 2009 on a pc not connected to the internet. I've completely wiped this computer of all apple programs, files and folders, and I'm about to reinstall itunes using that file from last year.

I'm hoping I can restore as new using iphone 3.1.2 with this fresh, non-updated install of itunes, so I can re-unlock and re-jailbreak using blackra1n (still installed on same pc).

I could be way off in thinking this might work. so before I completely screw this up, what should I know about?

edit: the install file won't install for some reason. but I'm reading in other threads about upgrading to 3.1.3, then downgrading the baseband to jb and unlock.

I ran f0recast, and my current baseband is 05.11.07 with bootloader 6.4 and model MB702.

I just want to wipe it to "new" status, but be able to jb and unlock after...

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If that's the case, go to Cydia and save your SHSH hashes ("Make My Life Easier" button) and then use sn0wbreeze to upgrade to a custom firmware version of 3.1.3.

Need the link to a good guide?

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
If that's the case, go to Cydia and save your SHSH hashes ("Make My Life Easier" button) and then use sn0wbreeze to upgrade to a custom firmware version of 3.1.3.

Need the link to a good guide?

when I open cydia, I can't find a "make my life easier" button. this was the confusing part of instructions I found- I thought that was only available on the 3GS. I have a 3G.

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Ahh, then on the 3G, you can still use sn0wbreeze, then use blacksn0w to unlock.

just to make sure I have this right:

I let itunes upgrade me to 3.1.3, then I follow the directions to change the baseband, use sn0wbreeze to jb and blacksn0w to unlock?

I honestly have no clue what I'm doing, and I certainly don't want to mess it up.

jocelyn

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
jocelyn, I say leave well alone. Before you know it there will be a properjailbreak, or a newer BETTER OS...

I'm just saying...

hello naviwilliams! solace.discord from CB.

I understand what you're saying- and I do have sometime to wait- her birthday isn't for another few weeks. just looking at my options. hopefully something does come out soon!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
NEVER update through iTunes if you have a jailbroken or unlocked device. It's a recipe for disaster. As for the 3G you should be able to do a shift+restore from iTunes to 3.1.2, then using blackra1n and blacksn0w to jailbreak and unlock respectively.

If you want to be on 3.1.3, then you'll have to use sn0wbreeze to create a special firmware that doesn't update the baseband.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
A shift restore on the 3G and 2G works fine. It won't downgrade the baseband if it needs to be unlocked though and the 3G cannot have it's baseband downgraded like the 2G can.

Last edited:

mysterio

May 7, 2009
Visit site
You can downgrade the baseband through FuzzyBaseband but only if you have the early iPhone 3G units with the 5.8 bootloader version. You can also use f0recast to tell whether you have this desirable state.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro