Newbie here.....

hoping someone can answer a question ...looking at a new 32gb 3gs with serial number 86939XXXXXX....so it should be from 39th week of 09.

i do not know the bootrom(iboot),or the baseband.

Im assuming it is still version 3.1.2 since the serial number is from last year.

can anyone tell me with any certainty,can i JB and unlock this with only knowing the serial number????

thanks!
    03-22-2010 11:55 PM
    why can't you access the phone info like firmware and baseband under general setting?
    03-23-2010 12:46 AM
    I have a 32GB 3GS and the serial starts with 88929xxxx and it's a non-tethered jailbreak. I don't know that anyone can tell you with certainty that you'll be able to jailbreak it without knowing the firmware it has.
    03-23-2010 01:26 AM
    If you take the iPhone, go to ih8sn0w.com and run the program on that website called f0recast, it will tell you right then and there all of the information you need.
    03-23-2010 03:11 AM
    thanks guys....

ok i did find that 32gb phone from 39th week of 09,which was very lucky for this late in time.....got lucky finding at a store which obviously doesnt sell many 32gbs....thanks to a tip off youtube about serial numbers!

ok now that i actually have phone in hand and am able to look....

i have software Version 3.1(7C144)

Modem firmware 05.11.07(baseband)

I want to JB and Unlock....

Questions....

1-Do i need to JB to unlock??

2-Can i JB only then unlock it later when i get my T-mobile SIM?

3-DO i need my NEW SIM from T-mobile in hand before i unlock?

4- my goal is to run my Rogers SIM when on canada side of border,and run a T-mobile SIM on US side of border.

any help is much appreciated....i wont be getting my T-mobile SIM for a few weeks till i head down to states.

thanks!
    03-25-2010 12:36 AM
    If you take the iPhone, go to ih8sn0w.com and run the program on that website called f0recast, it will tell you right then and there all of the information you need.
    thanks!....i just ran the "f0recast" software and it says im able to JB and unlock fully untethered!

i have 6.4 bootloader MC145 model..

if you can help with any of my above questions id appreciate that alot!

thanks
    03-25-2010 12:50 AM
    thanks guys....

ok i did find that 32gb phone from 39th week of 09,which was very lucky for this late in time.....got lucky finding at a store which obviously doesnt sell many 32gbs....thanks to a tip off youtube about serial numbers!

ok now that i actually have phone in hand and am able to look....

i have software Version 3.1(7C144)

Modem firmware 05.11.07(baseband)

I want to JB and Unlock....

Questions....

1-Do i need to JB to unlock??

2-Can i JB only then unlock it later when i get my T-mobile SIM?

3-DO i need my NEW SIM from T-mobile in hand before i unlock?

4- my goal is to run my Rogers SIM when on canada side of border,and run a T-mobile SIM on US side of border.

any help is much appreciated....i wont be getting my T-mobile SIM for a few weeks till i head down to states.

thanks!
    1 - yes you must jailbreak to unlock
    2 - yes
    3 - you can unlock without the new sim. Unlocking just breaks it free from requiring a sim card from a specific carrier.

Just make sure you don't upgrade to 3.1.3. If something happens and you find yourself required to upgrade to 3.1.3 use sn0wbreeze to create a custom 3.1.3 that preserves the baseband with 3.1.2 and preserves your jailbreak.

Best of luck!
    03-25-2010 01:11 AM
    thanks everyone.....it was a piece of cake with blackra1n and the suggestions mentioned above. Great forum here!

One thing im wondering....i seem to drop 3G coverage every so often,and even at times lose my connection which it DID NOT DO before the JB.

other then that,this phone now rocks!

thanks
    Last edited by ROCKERDAN; 03-30-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    03-28-2010 10:33 AM
    thanks everyone.....it was a piece of cake with blackra1n and the suggestions mentioned above. Great forum here!

One things im wondering....i seem to drop 3G coverage every so often,and even at times lose my connection which it DID NOT DO before the JB.

other then that,this phone now rocks!

thanks
    I've not heard of anything attributable to blackra1n. blacksn0w is a different story altogether.
    03-28-2010 08:07 PM
    The only defect that I'm aware of with blackra1n is that it broke YouTube, Push (with hacktivation) and WiFi.

AND you had to manually add the ability to browse your system files via USB.

But other than that, yeah, blackra1n is pristine.

*chuckle*
    03-28-2010 09:42 PM
    The only defect that I'm aware of with blackra1n is that it broke YouTube, Push (with hacktivation) and WiFi.

AND you had to manually add the ability to browse your system files via USB.

But other than that, yeah, blackra1n is pristine.

*chuckle*

Well you can fix the first using pushfix, the second by installing afc2add.
    03-28-2010 09:55 PM
    Exactly. All stuff that normally comes with the redsn0w jailbreak.

geohot rushed to release, an had tons of problems because of it. Lots of people weren't savvy enough to fix those problems.
    03-28-2010 09:59 PM
    thanks!....i just ran the "f0recast" software and it says im able to JB and unlock fully untethered!

i have 6.4 bootloader MC145 model..

if you can help with any of my above questions id appreciate that alot!

thanks
    Hi, I bought a 3GS recently with the same baseband and MC145 model number. I'm in the US and people are telling me that I bought a Canadian Rogers iphone. Is yours a Rogers phone too? How can I jailbreak it?

I'm going crazy here!
    Thanks
    06-09-2010 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD