Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3 JailBreak

Hachihead

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
After seeing the "there is no 3.1.3 Jailbreak" thread i thought i would post this...sheepishly..to see if it was of any use to anybody.

If it is useless feel free to delete the thread.

redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze-3.1.3-jailbreak-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.3/

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It's still not a jailbreak for those that have UPDATED to 3.1.3, only if they are already jailbroken, have the older bootrom and for some reason want to update to 3.1.3. The site even says

iPhone 3GS users who have upgraded to the stock 3.1.3 are still out of luck.

The iPhone 2G & 3G can downgrade to 3.1.2 and jailbreak ( the iPhone 3G cannot be unlocked if this happens though ).

The iPhone 3GS can ONLY be downgraded IF the user had previously jailbroken their device AND they tapped "Make My Life Easier" on Cydia AND have SHSH's stored in Cydia for 3.1.2.

StinkyPeas

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
i tried snowbreez and it didn't work for me but i did find success jailbreaking my iphone 3g 3.1.3 with redsnow it worked like a charm just follow this link How To Jailbreak iPhone/iPod Touch 3.1.3 With Redsnow | Thinktechno.com
any questions just let me know i can walk you through it. and this instructs you to download ispw 3.1.2 but my phone still says 3.1.3 so this is truly a 3.1.3 jailbreak, but if you accidentally updated and don't want to downgrade first just to jailbreak this will work much faster and easier. Also i did this WITHOUT my phone being previously jailbroken so this is a bone stock 3.1.3 jailbreak.

Last edited:

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
i tried snowbreez and it didn't work for me but i did find success jailbreaking my iphone 3g 3.1.3 with redsnow it worked like a charm just follow this link How To Jailbreak iPhone/iPod Touch 3.1.3 With Redsnow | Thinktechno.com[/url]
any questions just let me know i can walk you through it. and this instructs you to download ispw 3.1.2 but my phone still says 3.1.3 so this is truly a 3.1.3 jailbreak, but if you accidentally updated and don't want to downgrade first just to jailbreak this will work much faster and easier. Also i did this WITHOUT my phone being previously jailbroken so this is a bone stock 3.1.3 jailbreak.

Do you have a 3GS or 3G? Your link says it will not work for the 3GS. Just curious because if by some fluke it worked for your 3GS then I will try it.

Also the download links on that site are dead.

Last edited:

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Ya i found this curious... People said in here there was NO WAY you could jailbreak with 3.1.3 but i saw tons of snowbreeze results

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am RUNNING a 3.1.3 jailbreak from sn0wbreeze on a 3G w/old bootrom.

Yesterday, my iPhone rebooted. And then it got stuck in the infinite apple logo reboot loop. It wouldn't stay on.

So, being that I'm on Windows and needed my iPhone working faster than ASAP, I fired up sn0wbreeze, downloaded the official 3.1.3 zip file while I renamed to *.ipsw, went into expert, chose a custom boot logo, didn't need to activate since I'm on AT&T, chose my installer (Cydia only, because I have a sneaking suspicion that Rock screws your phone up), and rebuilt my custom ipsw.

I went into iTunes, upgraded that to current. Then went and editted my hosts file so that iTunes is now directed to Saurik's server (it's about time I did that, actually) and then panicked when my computer/iTunes wouldn't recognize my iPhone.

Then, I stopped crying like a little girl, put that ***** in DFU (NOT recovery) mode, as recovery mode wasn't working, shift+clicked and directed iTunes to my custom ipsw, and sat back.

And sat back. And sat back. And sat back.

Because the goddamned thing froze.

I didn't realize this, so after about 35 minutes, I unplugged my iPhone from the USB (NOT recommended), then reconnected it. Luckily, it was still stuck in DFU mode.

So this time, it started updating wonderfully. It went to about 98% total complete, and it got stuck on "Verifying software restore" at the end. It stuck there for about 10 minutes, but finally finished.

NOW, I think I screwed up on the custom boot logo, because now, when I boot the phone up, it's just a black screen and it takes about 3 minutes as opposed to the standard 30 seconds.

But thus far, that's the only issue that I've experienced at te current time.

The moral of the story?

Sn0wbreeze SAVED MY ASS. And I mean that in a big way. I would have loved to use PwnageTool, but right now I don't have an extra $2,700 for a Mac, so sn0wbreeze was my only option, and thus far, I'm VERY pleased with it.

And oh, yeah, as much as this hurt me to do it (like cancer of the balls), I set it up as a new iPhone. I'm redownloading everything from memory alone.

Which is a ***** because I had 200+ tweaks alone. No, I'm not embelishing.

So yes, sn0wbreeze saved the day for me. And coming from someone like me, who dabbles EXTENSIVELY in f'n with the iPhone, it's an understatement to say that I'm vastly impressed.

Kudos, ih8sn0w. AND I'm running 3.1.3, which I guess is good because I'm current, at least. But I don't notice ANY difference, at all, which is expected.....

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
It did for me. As I said, I'm on the MB (old bootrom) 3G running 3.1.3.

Obviously, there are conditions, for example you need to have previously been jailbroken at the time you update through sn0wbreeze, and it can't be on any MC models (new bootrom of the iPhone or iPod touch), but yes, it works for the 3G, the 3G and the 2G, as long as your device meets the criteria.

You can go to Ih8sn0w.com and se their "f0recast" app. It will tell you immediately if your device can be upgraded and jailbroken using sn0wbreeze on Windows.

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I've looked over most of that website, but the one piece of info I'm still missing is unique to my situation since I will be dealing with a brand new, never activated phone. I believe it will arrive as 3.1.2. I won't be able to check the baseband until I activate it. So my question is do I just plug it in and use the blackra1n program? Or first activate it, avoid hitting firmware update, and run blackra1n?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
No, unfortunately the new bootrom (MC, also known as "Model C") are not supported by sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool.

HOWEVER, if you're still on 3.1.2, you can use blackra1n from blackweather, but you will have a tethered jailbreak.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, I have no clue how to answer that question.

Without knowing that information, I don't know what to tell you. Though, I'm pretty sure it will be shipped with 3.1.3, and not 3.1.2. Unless you got it refurbished/used...

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I've looked over most of that website, but the one piece of info I'm still missing is unique to my situation since I will be dealing with a brand new, never activated phone. I believe it will arrive as 3.1.2. I won't be able to check the baseband until I activate it. So my question is do I just plug it in and use the blackra1n program? Or first activate it, avoid hitting firmware update, and run blackra1n?

If you're on the carrier the supplies the iPhone let it activate first before running blackra1n or anything like that. Make sure that you don't let iTunes update it beyond 3.1.2.

When you get your handset, make another post and we'll point you in the right direction :)

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I have no clue how to answer that question.

Without knowing that information, I don't know what to tell you. Though, I'm pretty sure it will be shipped with 3.1.3, and not 3.1.2. Unless you got it refurbished/used...

The reason I believe it will be 3.1.2, is because last week I got the 3GS that I ordered through the carrier brand new, at 3.1.2 firmware. I'm getting another one through the same carrier to replace it, which they agreed to at my request. This new one I can only assume will also arrive 3.1.2. I will have to send the first one back to them. The first one was MC143A/C, serial [edited to avoid snoopy carrier or apple reps]. I can only assume the next one, coming from the same place within the same roughly 7 days, will be very similar.

If you're on the carrier the supplies the iPhone let it activate first before running blackra1n or anything like that. Make sure that you don't let iTunes update it beyond 3.1.2.

When you get your handset, make another post and we'll point you in the right direction :)

Ok will do. Should be here in 24 - 48 hours.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
AND, I found out the error that I am experiencing is my own fault. I'm getting the 3 minute boot up because I didn't include at least 1 transparent pixel in my custom bootup logo. And after speaking with Ih8sn0w, it also seems like I didn't check off the "NOR Only" option, so it's completely my fault, now sn0wbreeze's.

Just wanted to clarify that.

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I received the new phone. I set it up as a new phone. The firmware version is 3.1.2 (cheers!). I will not make the mistake of upgrading.

F0recast tells me this about it:

Serial#: 87002ETY3NP
Baseband: 05.11.07
Bootloader: 6.4
Model: MB715

Jailbreakable: YES
Unlockable: YES
Tethered?: Maybe, depends if Refurb

I contacted my carrier's customer support, they told me it is not refurbished.

So now the next step - Jailbreaking. Can I use redsn0w or do I have to use Blackra1n? What is the best tutorial to use for a guide? If it doesn't work, can I restore it without causing a firmware upgrade?

NHL Fever

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]

Any restore through iTunes will update the 3GS to 3.1.3, you can't prevent that at this point.

Tried using redsn0w, could not get it to work. I followed all steps in the iclarified guide located here iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.1.2 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

I selected 'new' 3GS when promted, because of my serial posted above. Everything went as expected until the end. When it rebooted it just went to the USB+itunes screen. Is this because of my baseband?

In addition, I was under the impression that my serial number means I have the new bootrom. But my model is MB according to forecast, not MC. So which is it?

Edit: Tried using redsn0w and this time selecting 'no' to question about new model. Now I've got bigger problems I think. The screen is simply blank. Holding power + home results in the disconnect 'beep' from windows and then the reconnect 'beep' followed by the itunes message "iTunes has detected an Iphone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." The screen remains blank, does not show USB + itunes, does not show anything at all. It is just black. Bricked?

Last edited: