Can someone tell me where im sitting with this?

Calinan

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Here is the info, i just need to know where i am with the jailbreaking... IE what i have to do/ what i should expect.

3GS
SN : 859507BC***
Model : MC143C

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Here is the info, i just need to know where i am with the jailbreaking... IE what i have to do/ what i should expect.

3GS
SN : 859507BC***
Model : MC143C

What firmware are you on, 3.1.2 or 3.1.3?

If you're on 3.1.2, you can get a tethered jailbreak using either Redsn0w or Blackra1n on Windows. I would recommend Redsn0w as I've had a much better experience with it.

If you're on 3.1.3, you're out of luck at the moment and cannot jailbreak (since you have a new bootrom).

Martin

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I am on 3.1.2... Would you mind linking me to a part of the site that explain tethering with windows?

Unfortunately I can't post links here yet but if you google "jailbreak 3GS 3.1.2 redsn0w" you should get links from redmondpie.com which I have found quite good and they will take you all the way through the process. Make sure you read the instructions VERY CAREFULLY, and several times since you probably only get one shot at this and if something goes wrong you could be stuck having to restore to 3.1.3 and no jailbreak.

You may already know this but a tethered jailbreak means you'll have to jailbreak every time you need to reboot or shutdown the phone (not standby, a complete restart).

Also, make sure you know if you have the old or new bootrom, this is very important when running redsn0w and it will ask you. Again, if you google something like "how to find 3gs bootrom version" you should get links that will explain how to do it. Based on your serial number I'm pretty sure you've got the new one but you may want to double check.

Martin