Hi,

I know version 3.1.3 in the iphone and ipod can not be downgraded
and jailbroken esp. if you have not uploaded the SHSH in Cydia so
I plan to get either a new iphone 3GS or Ipod Touch 3rd Gen that has
old firmware version like 3.1. My question is. Once you put the sim
and initially connect to Itune for registration. Would the firmware
be automatically upgraded to 3.1.3?? I heard 3.1.2 and old
firmware versions no longer have signatures. Does this mean Apple
will immediately upgrade it to version 3.1.3 upon initial connection and registration? How do you avoid this?

Thanks.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
It won't automatically upgrade but I don't think you'll be able to get the SHSH on Cydia for 3.1.2 if that's what you are hoping.

sambrt

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
So if I buy a unit with 3.1.2 firmware, I can jailbreak it with no problem? About
SHSH... isn't it one just upload it to the cydia server anytime? why do you say
i can't get the SHSH on cydia for 3.1.2?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
There's SHSH files for EACH firmware. You get by the phone contacting the Apple servers to get them. The Cydia server replicates the phone requesting the authentication to restore, but this only works on current firmwares. You can't get authentication on new phones for old firmwares.

sambrt

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... is it possible to get a phone with old 3.1.2 and then jailbreak it?
Or does initially connecting it to the server at registration automatically
upgrade it to 3.1.3.? If not.. then it can be jailbroken or not? And why.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
There is a possibility of finding a phone with 3.1 or 3.1.2 out there, but it will take looking. You won't automatically upgrade to 3.1.3 when registering it and yes you could jailbreak it at 3.1.2...but, you'd never be able to restore to 3.1.2 b/c Apple has stopped signing 3.1.2 and even the Cydia server cannot get the SHSH files for 3.1.2 anymore, just 3.1.3 that cannot yet be jailbroken.

sambrt

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
why should I restore it to 3.1.2 if I get a phone with 3.1.2? What circumstances
make one use restore function in the iphone/ipod?

NDes

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
why should I restore it to 3.1.2 if I get a phone with 3.1.2? What circumstances
make one use restore function in the iphone/ipod?

Well, if you're a dummy like I was and reboot your jailbroken 3.1.2 3GS when it's not connected to a computer, you may get stuck in the recovery mode with no hope but to do a factory restore on your phone.

The factory restore will automatically upgrade you to 3.1.3 and then as of yet, there are no methods of jailbreaking 3.1.3.

misterchong

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you're a dummy like I was and reboot your jailbroken 3.1.2 3GS when it's not connected to a computer, you may get stuck in the recovery mode with no hope but to do a factory restore on your phone

hi what do you mean by reboot your jail broken 3.1.2 3gs when its not connected to a computer as in power it off? and turn it back on with out plugged into the computer?

NDes

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
hi what do you mean by reboot your jail broken 3.1.2 3gs when its not connected to a computer as in power it off? and turn it back on with out plugged into the computer?

Yes that is correct. New iPhone 3gs's like mine, may require a tethered jailbreak despite it coming with the 3.1.2 firmware installed. Depending on your serial number/bootrom, the newer bootroms don't currently have an un-tethered method of being jailbroken.

Having a tethered jailbreak means that anytime your phone is powered off, you will need to restart it while plugged into a computer, and you will then have to open the blackra1n application to boot up the phone.

Unfortunately when I was running my phone using blackra1n's jailbreak, I rebooted the phone without having it connected to my PC. By the time I managed to plug it back in, the BlackRa1n application would keep hanging on "waiting for device to reboot," and I could never get passed that issue.

sambrt

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, if you're a dummy like I was and reboot your jailbroken 3.1.2 3GS when it's not connected to a computer, you may get stuck in the recovery mode with no hope but to do a factory restore on your phone.

The factory restore will automatically upgrade you to 3.1.3 and then as of yet, there are no methods of jailbreaking 3.1.3.

In en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_(iPhone_OS[/url])

It is mentioned "On October 11, 2009, George Hotz, known under alias geohot, released the tool blackra1n, which allows the jailbreaking of all iPhones (Up to 3GS) and iPod touch (Up to 3G) devices running iPhone OS 3.1.3 (although the iPod touch 3rd generation and iPhone 3GS are tethered; they must be plugged into a computer every time it boots)."

This means the 3.1.3 can still be jailbroken and you only encounter
problem when you try to reboot it as it needs to be connected
to a computer, right??

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox