I'm finally getting around to updating, and am a little confused at how to do this. I've searched the forums for update but didn't find answer to my Q's. I have been loving my jailbreak on my 3GS since August, and am nervous after reading many posts that if screw up a step that I won't be able to go back to my jailbreak. I used redsn0w 0.8 on Vista to jailbreak initially.

Questions:
    1) From what I read on the Cydia instructions, I just update via iTunes and then re-jailbreak, but won't that install 3.1.3 for which nothing's available?

2) If I reinstall thru iTunes, will that erase all of my jailbreak apps and data?

3) Update instructions on Cydia also shows 3.1.2+ (requires baseband update). What does this mean?

4) I have seen references to needing to backup SHSH. What is this?

5) I obviously have the old Boot ROM since I'm running 3.0, but I want to jailbreak my girlfriend's new iPhone 3GS with the NEW Boot ROM. Will any of these steps be different?

6) Can I update to the new version of iTunes without causing problems?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
    02-11-2010 11:22 PM
    I have the same type of problem except I used purplera1n to jailbreak my 3GS and I'm hoping for a solution as well. I am currently also running OS 3.0 and wanting to upgrade to 3.1.2 just like you.
    I'm also wondering if I have to backup my calendar and contacts, and how to do that... not wanting to reprogram all of that stuff! I'm running windows vista home premium.
    Thanks!
    03-06-2010 04:21 PM
    People that dint even know how to back-up should you even be trying to jailbreak, probably not.
    03-06-2010 07:26 PM
    This is a help thread and your reply is just spam, and probably violates the terms of use for this forum, so please remove it.
    However, if you have any useful information that would be appriciated.
    There are some very helpful people in these forums....and nice too. However some frequent the forums a little too much.....like every day when they are at work when should be doing their jobs instead.....none of this is directed at you Sargd. These people become so good at solving issues in this forum that often they become a little sanctimonious and self righteous.

My advice, just ignore these types. Chances are they aren't clinging to much other than to a box of twinkies and free rent while living in their parent's basement.
    03-06-2010 11:19 PM
    My only point maybe advice, is that people should be learning the very basics of there iPhone before jumping into something that can be very complicating like jailbreaking!! If you don't know that how can you possibly be helped with that.
    03-07-2010 12:56 AM
    My only point maybe advice, is that people should be learning the very basics of there iPhone before jumping into something that can be very complicating like jailbreaking!! If you don't know that how can you possibly be helped with that.
    I totally agree with you. And as said, my comments weren't directed at you. Reading Gradience's response simply reminded me that there are others who have said far worse than you and that most of us just ignore it.
    03-07-2010 08:21 AM
    I was directing at gradience but thank you
    03-07-2010 08:24 AM
    Thanks for the advice lungho. I'll do that next time.
    ShawnTech1 asked some good initial questions that I wouldn't mind knowing the answers to. Sorry for hijacking this thread ShawnTech1.

"u can only upgrade/downgrade to 3.1.2 if u have a ecid in cydia for it (go to cydia if u see at the top of the home page "This device has SHSHs for OS: (OS list, if there is 3.1.2 then u can)""

Found this in another thread. Does updating the firmware using cydia erase everything on the iphone? Yes I do have a 3GS so cydia is necessary.
    Last edited by gradience; 03-07-2010 at 11:14 AM.
    03-07-2010 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD