I used Blackra1n to jailbreak my 3.1.2 iphone 3gS. Can I use pwnagetool 3.1.5 to upgrade my OS to 3.1.3 or do I have to wait for Blackra1n to release a 3.1.3 upgrade?

Thanks!
    02-08-2010 12:48 PM
    That depends. Do you have a tethered jailbreak on your 3G[s]? And are you intending to unlock, or only jailbreak?
    02-08-2010 12:52 PM
    First - I am not near as savvy as you guys with the lingo. So the tethered jailbreak, are you referring to using my iphone as a wireless internet source for my mac? If so, then yes I have it setup via bluetooth. If not, kinda dumb it down for me so I can answer better for you...

And your second question - as far as I know I have only jailbreak ('ed?) (jailbroke?)
    my iphone so I can customize the heck out of it...how can I tell if I also unlocked it?

Thanks! sorry for the noobness.
    02-08-2010 01:06 PM
    No problem.

A tethered jailbreak means that if you run out of power or reboot, you need to connect your phone to a computer and re-jailbreak each time.

And if you don't need/want the unlock, then that simplifies things. It's all about your preferences.
    02-08-2010 01:13 PM
    so, in that case I used blackra1n to jailbreak and simply started downloading apps to customize my phone. So, I am not sure if I am on a tethered jailbreak or not...how to I check?

Secondly, I do not need the unlock as I use AT&T for service and am simply holding my breath to switch back to Verizon if they ever get the iphone in my lifetime.

After saying all that, do I wait for the 3.1.3 blackra1n release since I used that app originally to jailbreak?

Thanks for all your help!
    02-08-2010 01:21 PM
    That upgrade isn't coming, the developer of blackra1n is waiting for a 'bigger' update.

There's truly no real need to update, but if you want to, you could use PwnageTool to create the 3.1.3 firmware, and update that way, so yes. However, read about wether or not your phone is on the compatible list of devices that PwnageTool will work with.
    02-08-2010 01:28 PM
    What's your biggest reason to switch to 3.1.3 from 3.1.2 in the first place? Maybe we can start from there to see if its even useful to you.
    02-08-2010 02:42 PM
    I just like to keep current and have the latest and greatest...but to be honest now that my phone is jailbreak...and very custom it's not that big of deal. BUT if I do have the option of going to 3.1.3 then I would do it assuming it doesnt screw me up, I spent about 3-4 days customizing my phone.
    02-08-2010 02:57 PM
    I just like to keep current and have the latest and greatest...but to be honest now that my phone is jailbreak...and very custom it's not that big of deal. BUT if I do have the option of going to 3.1.3 then I would do it assuming it doesnt screw me up, I spent about 3-4 days customizing my phone.
    there really is no need. it may be the latest but i wouldnt say its the greatest. there is barely a difference in this version. personally i think it was put out to try and ward off people from doing rhe JB process and hoping others would update their phones and not have a JB phone anymore. Who cares about the battery percent numbers really.
    02-08-2010 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD