Total newbie here-- I have a "tethered jailbreak" via Blackra1n on a late model 3GS (running 3.1.2). I did the jailbreak hoping that my model might not get the tethered jailbreak problem, but sure enough, after each reboot, the phone hangs with the USB plug and the itunes icon. Of course, I can reboot while tethered with BlackRa1n running, but that's really not ideal.

At this point, I'd like to revert to stock firmware. I found an old IPSW of 3.1.2 online (not mine), but iTunes won't authenticate it to put onto my device. Meanwhile, I used pwnage tool to modify that ipsw for a JB build, but I can't seem to get iTunes to restore that onto my iPhone. Looks like iTunes forces the iPhone to reboot in preparation for loading the modified ipsw, at which point the tethered jailbreak kicks in and the iPhone hangs on reboot.

Is this the expected behavior? Would the inability to reboot make it impossible to fix the untethered jailbreak, even if I tried updating to 3.1.3?
    02-07-2010 11:07 PM
    you can always put it in DFU mode first,
    or you can just let the battery drain...
    turn on a movie for like 50 hours
    then let it fully die and then reboot the firmware..
    i think
    02-07-2010 11:43 PM
    if you have a tethered jailbreak, you will ALWAYS have a tethered jailbreak. at least until they come up with a way to get around that. so either way, going back to 3.1.2 or going to 3.1.3,m you will still have a tethered jailbreak regardless.
    02-08-2010 10:50 AM
    And also, the big rumor is that geohot has an exploit that will eliminate the tethered jailbreak, but that he does not want to release it until the 4.0 update.

I personally, believe that.
    02-08-2010 10:57 AM
    yeah i do too. until 4.0, it's kinda pointless to keep working on it. he wants to hit the next MAJOR update.
    02-08-2010 11:07 AM
    Yeah, I see his point completely. Why waste an awesome exploit on a minor update so that Apple can fix it later on? It's pointless...
    02-08-2010 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD