Hello,

I just bought an iphone and i would like to unlock it to a different carrier. i follow the steps here:
    w w w.theiphoneblog.com/2009/11/22/jailbreak-unlock-iphone-3g3gs-blacksn0w-mac-edition/

by first jailbreaking it and then installing snow, But then when i turn off my iPhone and i turn it back one it wants me to connect to iTunes, and i cant do anything else, and once i connect to iTunes my only option is to restore the iphone which locks it back to its original carrier.

Anyone have any solutions? Should i go to a professional unlocking place and pay for an unlock? the people at the apple store also mentioned something that when i go to a new carrier ill need to give them my IMEI...how does that fit in the picture? I thought i just need to unlock and put in new sim card....

Thanx
    01-30-2010 10:56 PM
    Each time you reboot or turn your phone back on from a shut down, you need to run the Blackra1n app again. It's called a tethered jailbreak and has to be run every time when using firmware 3.1.2.
    01-30-2010 10:59 PM
    so then can i unlock it, and then go to the new carrier, and set up my sim card and everything, and i wont need to reboot during this? im assuming once its locked to the new carrier, even if i reboot and restore and the unlock goes away, itll still be locked to the new carrier?
    01-30-2010 11:58 PM
    Doesn't matter what you do. Every time you reboot your phone, you will have to re-jailbreak it again.
    01-31-2010 12:56 AM
    TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G[s], then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G[s], that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

On a sidenote, I really wish that people would use the goddamned search tool.
    01-31-2010 01:36 AM
    lol i understand the concept of tethered jailbreak, and yes i know im not supposed to let it die or turn it off or connect it to itunes if i want the jailbreak to last.

My next question is what happens when i go to a new carrier? will the phone be locked to them? if so will restoring it undo it? Or to work with the new carrier do i have to keep my phone constantly unlocked and thus never ever connect it to itunes? does the whole process of obtaining a new carrier and plugging in new SIM card require that i reboot iphone or connect to itunes?
    01-31-2010 01:43 AM
    Connecting it to itunes won't re-lock it. Only restoring will re-lock. Whenever you restart you need to run Blackra1n again and that will put everything like it was immediately before you reset - no changes other than you will have reset.

You can still sync to itunes as always. But definitely do a search and read up on it, cause it's all been asked and answered before.
    01-31-2010 11:39 AM
    Everytime i reboot iPhone it becomes locked again.
    03-05-2010 12:04 AM
    Jesus Christ, you posted in THIS THREAD! How's about you read all of the posts ABOVE YOU?!?
    03-05-2010 12:58 AM
    yeah, i try all these above but doesn't matter none of these work for me. please give me more tricks for solve such a prob.
    03-05-2010 05:33 AM
    If you've tried everything else listed in this thread, your only option is to take the iPhone back to where you bought it, and exchange it for a Razr.
    03-05-2010 06:57 AM
    ^^
    hilarious
    03-05-2010 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD