Hi, someone plz help......

I have a 3GS iPhone..tethered jailbreak by blackrain. running fw. 3.1.2.

Yesterday, for some odd reason I received a pop up message stating...My phone wont receive or take calls...It needs to be repaired. I dismissed it..and had no service for the remaining of the night. I thought if I would do a hard reset...on the phone, it would fix it.....bad mistake...

blackrain didnt wouldnt boot the phone...rather i am stuck at the emergency phone call screen. iTunes cant access the phone claiming it is locked with a passcode. I cant enter a passcode because there is no screen to do that.

if i try restoring it regularly on iTunes without running blackrain...I get only the normal restore window on my iPhone...when I run restore...I get error 23.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this? Is my phone dead? Can I still get it fixed or replaced by Apple for free? If i give it to them in the regular restore mode state...they cant tell it is jailbroken...but if I run blackrain first and leave it in the emergency call state....you can still run SB settings and see that there is a background image on the phone.

Finally, I spoke to some guy on craiglist...and he insured me he could fix it....I dont know how...maybe redsnow?

I have tried everything from reinstalling itunes on a new computer to run restore..no luck..

Please help......this phone is only 2 months old....and I dont have the $$$ to buy a brand new phone.... FML.
    01-28-2010 02:58 PM
    This exact same thing happened to me today at lunch!!! Unfortunately, my lock slider is custom and it still shows up on the emergency call screen along with a background like yours. They will know it is jailbroken instantly. I too get error 23 on a restore attempt. Our issue seems identical. Any luck with the guy from craigslist? I was thinking that if there was no way to get the jailbreak off before taking it to Apple, I would find a way to fry the damn thing so it wouldn't boot at all. Any ideas would really be helpful.
    01-29-2010 05:54 PM
    Have you tried to put the phone into DFU mode & restore it that way?
    01-29-2010 06:56 PM
    DFU RESTORE

Try the steps listed below, but make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes before attempting to do this.

Put the iPhone into DFU mode so you can do an iTunes firmware restore follow these steps:

Step One
    Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac or PC.

Step Two
    Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
    After exactly 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until iTunes pops up with a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

The iPhone screen will remain black.

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!

Step Four
    Download from iTunes and install the latest firmware (3.1.2/7D11) and install it. Then, when it's done, simply either restore it from a previously created backup, or set it up as a new iPhone and re-sync all of your stuff back onto it.
    01-29-2010 08:21 PM
    yea i've tried the dfu restore, and tried again just to be sure. it still returns unknown error 23. any other ideas? can i use ssh to access the phone directory or fix it? I read it's possible but can't find a how to. the IMEI and ICCID are both unknown. from what i've been able to find online, this typically points to a hardware failure that results in a replacement. thanks.
    01-30-2010 02:02 AM
    yea i've tried the dfu restore, and tried again just to be sure. it still returns unknown error 23. any other ideas? can i use ssh to access the phone directory or fix it? I read it's possible but can't find a how to. the IMEI and ICCID are both unknown. from what i've been able to find online, this typically points to a hardware failure that results in a replacement. thanks.
    Yes, it is hardware failure.

To recap, I was using a brand new TomTom Car Kit...after 30mins of use...I received the message "your phone can no longer make or receive calls, you need to repair your phone. Right after, I had no service... I did everything to reset/fix it...but no luck. Finally, I thought restoring it might help.....bad mistake. it just caused my phone to be stuck at the emergency call screen. Restoring the regular way I got error 23.

In my opinion, I think the TomTom car kit blew up my phone attenna and bluetooth.... with SBsettings I was still able to check what was working after I received that horrid message.

Finally, I was going to meet with the "awesome guy" from craiglist...and yes he was very awesome...he was very pleasant and helpful to deal with on the phone....but I decided to take my defective TomTom Car Kit and phone to Apple first.

They replaced both my TomTom Car Kit and my iPhone...given it was still under the normal 1 year warranty. Very awesome. Apple rep basically told me, if he can't restore it...he will just give me a brand new phone. Very incredible customer service.

Finally, If you are still covered under warranty... make sure you leave the phone in the DFU state that does not indicate in anyway that the phone is jailbroken.... also make an appointment...... and show up 10 mins prior. They are usually very busy.

If you are not under the normal 1 year warranty... you might be able to save your phone by using redsnow, or pwnage. I am pretty sure that is what the "craiglist" guy would of done for me.... but I was pretty sure it was not software but hardware why I lost imei and all cellphone reception.

Best of luck to you.
    01-31-2010 07:39 PM
    well it seems i'm up the creek a bit. I've tried blackra1n to no avail. I've also tried irecovery over and over again with no results. sure i could put the phone in dfu mode and they wont get anywhere with it, but if they do a soft reset the phone will boot to the emergency call screen where they will see the phone has been jailbroken. Are you saying they never did this with yours? You just brought it in in DFU mode and they never rebooted it to see what happens? I also have sbsettings but don't think it's accessible. If nothing else, couldn't I short out the phone? What's your take on that kind of approach?
    02-01-2010 11:42 AM
    Ok let me clarify. If I run blackrain, it took me to the emergency call screen...where you could tell the phone was jailbroken because there is a backround image (winterboard) and....you could still use SBsettings. That is how I could check that my 3G, Bluetooth was indeed not working.

If I only put the phone in DFU...it would only boot up the iTunes+cable screen.

Also,

Have you tried restoring on a different computer with a fresh iTunes installed?

Have you tried running blackrain from a different computer? Sometimes..if blackrain does not run....run it up to 3 times. One after another. And give your phone time to respond before you reject the idea it is not working.
    02-01-2010 12:47 PM
    Alright I got it to work. I ran the latest version of redsn0w and on the 3rd or 4th attempt it worked. It popped me right into my home screen. I don't have any cellular or wifi functionality, but i can get into all my apps. I'm in the process of removing any trace of a jailbreak and then I'm going to try a full restore through itunes.
    02-01-2010 02:26 PM
    Alright I got it to work. I ran the latest version of redsn0w and on the 3rd or 4th attempt it worked. It popped me right into my home screen. I don't have any cellular or wifi functionality, but i can get into all my apps. I'm in the process of removing any trace of a jailbreak and then I'm going to try a full restore through itunes.

No cellular or wifi functionality is definitely hardware failure. Remember...make an appointment online before you go...it will save you alot of time.
    02-01-2010 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD