How new is too new?

longshadows

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I've read that some of the newest iPhone 3GS are having trouble with jail breaking. What about iPhone GPS 3.1.2, with 05.11.07 firmware?

Thanks!

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by iPhone "GPS". All GPS is for the iPhone is the chip that allows you to use maps andthetesstill compass. If you're referring to the operating system ("OS"), it's also called a firmware ("FW"). That's the 3.1.2 you're referring to. And here's how you can tell if it's too new (a/k/a tethered jailbreak).

CHECK YOUR SERIAL # TO SEE IF YOU'RE TETHERED

Go to Settings>General>About, and take a look at your serial number. It should look something like this:

72638MK26HR (Fake SN)

Now, ignore the rest of it, so that only the 4th & 5th alphanumeric keys are visible. Example:

xxx38xxxxxx (See?)

If those digits are HIGHER than 40, it's safe to assume you will have a tethered jailbreak.

longshadows

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I meant to say "3GS", not GPS ;-(

Thank you, LVCifer, for this bit of info. My phone is a "36". So, does that mean a jailbreak would not be tethered?

My other question was regarding the difference between blackra1n and redsn0w. Any thoughts about which is better on an "untethered jailbreak"?

Thanks again.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Your jailbreak should be fine. :)

As far as redsn0w and blackra1n, I personally prefer blackra1n based on it's ease of use and simplicity. They BOTH basically accomplish the exact same thing, however, on redsn0w you can change your bootup logo to whatever you want. (The white apple that shows up when you reboot)

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Your jailbreak should be fine. :)

As far as redsn0w and blackra1n, I personally prefer blackra1n based on it's ease of use and simplicity. They BOTH basically accomplish the exact same thing, however, on redsn0w you can change your bootup logo to whatever you want. (The white apple that shows up when you reboot)

so if my serial number is.. xxx38xxxxxx then I'm good?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Congrats. :) I also have an "older" 3G which doesn't require a tethered jailbreak.

I am dreading the day my wife decides to upgrade her 3G. God forbid she wants to jailbreak it. She's HORRIBLE with charging it. She just let's it run out until it turns off, then she charges the mf'er.

I forsee lots of headaches.. *chuckle*

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Congrats. :) I also have an "older" 3G which doesn't require a tethered jailbreak.

I am dreading the day my wife decides to upgrade her 3G. God forbid she wants to jailbreak it. She's HORRIBLE with charging it. She just let's it run out until it turns off, then she charges the mf'er.

I forsee lots of headaches.. *chuckle*

oh yeah thats not good, yeah I'm enjoying the android lock screen ; )

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2