Hi all!

Basically i have come to the conclusion that i need the 3.1.2 update on my Jailbroken 3.0.1 Iphone 3GS.

What id like to know is, is it possible to get onto 3.1.2 without having to do a fresh restore on my iphone and then rejailbreak? Is there like a jailbreak update rather than fresh install?

If i have to restore my iphone and then jailbreak straight to 3.1.2 how can i back all my apps, themes and installed cydia goodies so i can easily get them back on my phone?

Im quite new to jailbreaking and have only ever done it once and that was a long time ago.

Thanks for any kind responses.
    01-26-2010 03:33 PM
    I have my iPod Touch JB with 3.1.2. Used BlackRain to do it and did it fast. Only problem is, if you shut your phone off, you will need to JB it again. Not sure if there is another way. Should be tho, but only for Macs from what I've read.
    01-26-2010 03:38 PM
    I very very rarely switch my phone off.

If i just run blackrain 3.1.2 now and it installs over my already jailbroken 3.0.1 it will still update perfectly fine to 3.1.2 but whenever i have to switch my phone back on i will have to rerun blackrain?

If im away from a computer say at work and my phone needs rebooting if i turned it off and then on what exactly would happen?
    01-26-2010 03:41 PM
    I have my iPod Touch JB with 3.1.2. Used BlackRain to do it and did it fast. Only problem is, if you shut your phone off, you will need to JB it again. Not sure if there is another way. Should be tho, but only for Macs from what I've read.
    tethered isn't a Mac vs PC thing. It has to do with the phone
    01-26-2010 04:06 PM
    Well, tethered jailbreak is the only way that I have found to get working for me. All other methods are for Macs only.

But getting back to the question, if you did sue blackrain and had to reboot your phone, then yes, you would have to run the jailbreak again.
    01-26-2010 04:37 PM
    Damn, i actually dont mind that but its just a concern that if im away from home for a while and my phone crashes or something then i have no phone till im back at my PC as the blackrain thingy is ran from your PC yes?
    01-26-2010 04:51 PM
    If you are already jailbroken and haven't updated to 3.1.2 yet, tethered isn't even a concern for you. That's only for the newer phones.

Go ahead and run Blackra1n and be happy.
    01-26-2010 05:30 PM
    Yeah...that's right. The tether is only for the new OS.
    01-26-2010 05:39 PM
    No. Tethered jailbreak has nothing to do with the OS. It is a hardware issue.
    01-26-2010 05:45 PM
    Ok im slightly confused, i really appreciate the replys though, some great people on here!

2 posts above say id be fine but the last reply above says i wont.

I am on an iphone 3GS if it makes any difference.
    01-26-2010 05:49 PM
    If you update your firmware to 3.1.2 you will have to apply the tethered jaibreak. If for whatever reason you shut your phone off, or it reboots, you will need to reapply the JB and you would need to be at a computer to do that.

If you can wait, I would wait for a proper JB if you don't mind having to redo the jailbreak once in a while.
    01-26-2010 06:45 PM
    No, DataCentre. That is incorrect.

The OP has a jailbroken 3GS. The original 3GS could be jailbroken without tether. My original 3GS was. The ones that came out after October(ish) had a security flaw fix that prevented an untethered j/b. But the original 3GS models do not require the tethered jailbreak.
    01-26-2010 10:26 PM
    I guess I'm only going by the 3.1.2 that I have installed on myy iPod Touch 3G. The tethered JB is the only solution for me, and it's a bit of a pain when I have to reboot it.

Don't know much about the iPhones I guess...but I'm sure I will learn a lot here. I remember when I was a newbie when it came to Blackberries. Now I'm a theme developer! LoL.
    01-27-2010 12:34 AM
    I got my iphone 3GS In Jume/July of 2009, i am in the UK and am on O2 as a service provider.

So one final clarification, i can jailbreak using the blackra1n 3.1.2 jailbreak over my already exisitng 3.0.1 and i will experience no problems?
    01-27-2010 08:19 AM
    First you must update to 3.1.2 (losing your current jailbreak). Then j/b using Blackra1n and reinstall all your old j/b stuff.
    01-27-2010 11:44 AM
    Ok then, i just plug into itunes, let it to the 3.1.2 update thus losing everything and once updated i can run the blackra1n jalbreak?

Just a query, how do i go about backing anything up so when i have jailbroken when i reconnect to itunes my phone numbers, photos, music, games and apps will be automatically put back on the phone?
    01-27-2010 12:40 PM
    If you just "update" using iTunes it will not erase any of your mail, messages or contacts. I was JB first with 3.0 then I updated, then re-JB with blackra1n. I just wrote down all my cydia apps and reinstalled them. Now I use Rock for 99% of my apps which is convenient because when you set up a rock account, it automatically backs up your apps so whenever you have to restore and/or re JB, it reinstallls all your Rock apps.
    01-27-2010 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD