So I am out with my friends the other night, when i pull my iphone out of my pocket i realize it has turned off of it's own accord. (No it's not asleep, im not the dumb).
    I read around and found very little info about this, save that a few other people have this problem, and that all you need to do is simply turn it back on.
    And now the plot thickens. I use blackra1n and since i have a 3gs, that means im on a tethered jailbreak. So when my iphone randomly shuts off, i have to put my iphone into recovery mode. ( or DFU mode, im not sure which is which) and run blackra1n again.
    Im not sure if the random shut down is due to a one in a million problem with the way I jailbroke my phone, or if it has something to do with my hardware.
    My questions are - is there any fix to the shut downs?
    or just an explanation as to why this is happening.
    Sorry for the long post, thanks for taking the time to read
    Last edited by rsramsay; 01-23-2010 at 02:31 AM.
    01-23-2010 02:28 AM
    Have you tried restoring and set it up as new? If you do it from a backup, you might get the same problem.
    01-23-2010 02:42 AM
    Hmm, I have tried restoring it but i don't remember if i used a backup.
    Ill restore my phone as a new phone, and post the results, though i will have to wait a few days to see if it dies again.
    01-23-2010 04:13 AM
    Okay. Hope it's good results
    01-23-2010 04:14 AM
    I think I have this exact same problem, I thought I was alone in this... I just posted on another forum to ask about it, but here's how it happens with me:

I've got a 3GS 3.1.2 that's jailbroken (tethered) via BlackRa1n.
    For the most part, everything works just great, and I've added some various jailbreak-based aspects to the phone like QuickSMS, Winterboard, SBSettings, 5 column SpringBoard, ProSwitcher, etc.

Twice now, my iphone has seemingly 'crashed', most recently today, but the manner in which it does makes it seem more like a battery issue, so I wanted to describe it and see if anyone could tell me if it might be a certain jailbreak-based app that would be responsible for this happening.

Firstly my iphone seems to hold good charge in general, I've had no problems for the past 3 weeks of use since the first crash.

Today I was just browsing the Facebook app, with a few apps running in the background via Backgrounder and ProSwitcher.
    Then, when I was just reading something, the Facebook app closed down, back to the Springboard, I note that the battery icon is showing just a tiny bit of red, even though it was only unplugged from a full nights charge about 3 hours previously.
    Then as I notice that, the screen goes black and just shows the 'spinning circle' for a few seconds before the iphone powers down.
    If I attempt to power it on again, it does, and stays on the 'connect to itunes' screen (obviously as I have a tethered jailbreak). Once I'd got home from work today, I connected it up and booted via BlackRa1n just fine.

So yeah, I really want to fix this! It happened at a really inconvenient time the first time...
    01-24-2010 01:24 PM
    No disrespects guys, if you follow all directions properly, your iPhone should be fine but you shouldn't expect a completely stable system because after all it's a iPhone hack that you are running and not what Apple issue. When we jailbreak, we do it at our own risk. I wish you well on fixing your issues but I would just recommend doing the same over and make sure you install the normal jb apps like backgrounder etc.
    01-24-2010 05:18 PM
    Well so far i haven't had any more problems with it un-jailbroken. So im going to give it a few more days and then jailbreak. I see what you mean Carlm, and hopefully the problem isn't in the actual jailbreak or how i did it, but maybe an app that i have downloaded.

Ya that sounds quite familiar Tranquillian, except mine doesn't shut down while im actually running a program or just on the springboard. My phone shuts down after i have put it to sleep. ex. I was in class and had sent a text, pressed the sleep button and put it back in my pocket, when i took it out again (only a few minutes later) it would not come out of sleep. So all i could do was put it in recovery mode and wait until i got home.
    01-24-2010 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD