will the new redsnow work for my 3gs?

thyssen

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
i just read that redsnow .9 is out and that it will work untethered unless you have one of those late model 3gs's. How can i tell if mine is one of those? and is this different than Blackra1n? meaning .. if i have to boot tethered with blackra1n .. does that mean that i would have to boot tethered with redsnow? or is it a slightly different exploit(i sorta got the impression that it was different from reading the little description of it)?Can anyone clear this up for me?

en0c

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Find out when your iPhone was produced. If it's before week 40, then it's untethered. Otherwise it is tethered.
It differs from blackra1n because:

It uses our original Pwnage bootrom exploit for iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and iPod 1G. (Because it's a bootrom exploit, it can't be fixed by Apple without a new hardware release.) Note that redsn0w 0.9 does use the USB exploit for iPhone 3GS and iPod 2G running 3.1.2, but that exploit will be fixed in Apple's next FW release.
It offers custom logos and verbose boot
It installs Cydia without needing a separate download
It's not as fast (but redsn0w handles more variations )

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Read the article. It tells you in there that the USB support will be until the new firmware comes out. Hence 4.0

sirius

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
Question... I've been searching on how to find when my iPhone was produced for this purpose (that's how I ended up in this thread).

Can somebody answer this for me, or point me in the right direction?

Last edited:

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
You don't need to post all over the place. If the fourth digit on your serial is a four or higher and you have a 3GS YES you will be tethered jb.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative