I have now jailbroken my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 five (5) times. The jailbreak process went smoothly each time. The first period of having a jailbroken iPhone lasted almost two weeks.

Last night, things changed--it "froze up" totally and I had to do a full restore. After what appeared a successful restore, I again ran blackra1n. It went fine, installed Cydia and got a new copy of AptsBackup to "restore" my previoulsy "backed up" Cydia apps. The iPhone froze again during this "backup." So, I had to run another restore over night.

This morning, all looked well and my iPhone appeared to be fully restored. So, with trepidation, I again ran the latest version of blackra1n, installed Cydia, but not AptsBackup, this time.

I manually reinstalled as many of my former apps as I could recall (nothing strange or exotic--mainline popular Cydia apps). Then I did a full restart (don't even ask me why I decided to do that!). The white "Apple of Death" appeared and my phone was frozen AGAIN!

I just started another (hours-long) restore and as much as I like the features of a j.b. phone, I think I'll endure the pain of a plain vanilla Apple iPhone.

Only one problem (that I can see). If I ever have to take it in to Apple for service, the carrier logo in the status bar, which I modified with a Cydia app, "Make It Mine" is still as I changed it and without the benefit of Cydia, I can't restore the AT&T brand. So, it looks like my cover is blown, even with a fully restored iPhone. (Any way to restore this, without a Cydia app?)

Any comments, words of wisdom and/or prayers will be gratefully accepted!

Michael in Maine
    01-14-2010 11:50 AM
    If it is taking hours, you're doing a restore from backup. That's why you are still having the modified carrier logo. Restore as a new phone and you should be fine.

Are you always freezing at the Apple logo or are you sometimes getting the iPhone & USB cable screen?
    01-14-2010 12:29 PM
    No, it's the Apple.

If I were to restore as a "new phone", I'd lose all setting, music rights, photos, etc. Right. I'd have to entirely rebuild my phone from scratch. I sure hoped I could avoid that. I've wasted enough time, as it is. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Michael
    01-14-2010 12:32 PM
    Another thought. If I'm actually building my subsequent jailbreaks on a restore of the previous settings, rather than setting it up as a new phone, could that be restoring any corrupt files (even from bad Cydia apps) that could be causing the freezes?
    01-14-2010 12:36 PM
    you're having problems right now. why would restoring to remove lingering problems be a big deal?
    01-14-2010 01:43 PM
    Another thought. If I'm actually building my subsequent jailbreaks on a restore of the previous settings, rather than setting it up as a new phone, could that be restoring any corrupt files (even from bad Cydia apps) that could be causing the freezes?
    Restoring from a backup can be restoring the problem you're having repeatedly. Restore as a new phone, I've read countless posts where it solved the problem.

Yes restoring as new will erase all that data, but a sync will bring back stuff like contacts, music, pictures, etc, but NOT stuff like email settings, text messages and things like that.
    01-14-2010 01:56 PM
    I'm joining the gang and say; restore and set it up as new...
    01-14-2010 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD