I Want To Disable My phone service. Huh?

jackmcdaniel

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
HI all. New to this site. Love my iPHONE but I made a promise to my wife that I would never use a cell phone (I lost 2 brothers in separate car accidents and she is afraid I will become #3 while driving - hey, I promised - we've been married 39 years). I love my new iPHONE (just upgraded from an Apple Touch yesterday) and I want to use it for everything else EXCEPT the AT&T phone service. The guy at the Apple store in Boston said there is no way I can get AT&T to "turn off" the phone service. I confirmed this with AT&T at their store. I would give up internet access (surfing the web) if I nixed phone service. Someone said if I jailbreak my iPHONE I can then disable the telephone function. HELP ANYONE? Thanks in advance for any help... Uncle Jack / Boston

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
no amount of technology will remove self control. any method can be turned off super quickly. plus, using the data service in the car (txting, internet) is even more dangerous.

I would go back to an ipod touch if it's a serious issue. you can return the phone in the first 30 days

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
HI all. New to this site. Love my iPHONE but I made a promise to my wife that I would never use a cell phone (I lost 2 brothers in separate car accidents and she is afraid I will become #3 while driving - hey, I promised - we've been married 39 years). I love my new iPHONE (just upgraded from an Apple Touch yesterday) and I want to use it for everything else EXCEPT the AT&T phone service. The guy at the Apple store in Boston said there is no way I can get AT&T to "turn off" the phone service. I confirmed this with AT&T at their store. I would give up internet access (surfing the web) if I nixed phone service. Someone said if I jailbreak my iPHONE I can then disable the telephone function. HELP ANYONE? Thanks in advance for any help... Uncle Jack / Boston

Well Uncle Jack.

glad that you upgraded
im a little confused.

Do you want to turn the service off during driving or all together?
the phone without the service is an iTouch

if you promised that you would never use a cellphone whats the point of getting an iPHONE.
what would be the pros of going iPhone when you had an iTouch.
just pondering what could be here.

Last edited:

Mythico

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
You can turn off the phone service without even jailbreaking your iphone. Although like OlegWasHere said are you wanting to turn it off while driving or all together?

If you only want it off while driving then thats simple, if you want it off for good then you would be stuck paying for the phone service even if you turn it off on the phone. If this is the case you mine as well buy an iphone touch because its essentially an iphone without the phone service.

Mythico

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Drian - As much as the app is great why would he just disable the phone service in the options ? :) Heck it would also mean he wouldn't have to jailbreak if he didn't want to

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Drian - As much as the app is great why would he just disable the phone service in the options ? :) Heck it would also mean he wouldn't have to jailbreak if he didn't want to

How do you turn off the phone service? I'm guessing he still wanted to be able to use 3g for Internet browsing... Maybe I'm misunderstanding or there's some options I don't know about Im far from an expert

OlegWasHere

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
depending what exactly he wants to do he can just put it into airplane mode
settings-connections-airplane mode

but like i said depending what he wants to do.
this feature does everything without surfing the web or making phone calls but allows you to listen to music and use any app that doesn't need data to work.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
depending what exactly he wants to do he can just put it into airplane mode
settings-connections-airplane mode

but like i said depending what he wants to do.
this feature does everything without surfing the web or making phone calls but allows you to listen to music and use any app that doesn't need data to work.

You could do that but u might as well get a touch right? Airplane mode doesn't disable the phone service alone it disconnects from the network entirely... Like you said, depends on what he wants to do

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
He wants to have the advantage of using 3G everywhere just doesn't want the phone function to be used. He still wants the service, just the inability to make phone calls. I understand why he wants to. He would be able to give his wife the piece of mind of not being able to talk on the phone while driving while still being able to have the capabilities of having internet everywhere, i.e., more places than his iPod Touch.

To the OP:
Since I'm not familiar with what's available for jailbroken devices, I don't know if this is possible. My guess would be that it's not since I doubt many people are looking for this function.

Maybe you can buy a signal jammer for your car?

The only other option would be to put it in airplane mode when driving. At least this would remove the temptation of answering the phone since it won't be able to ring.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
He wants to have the advantage of using 3G everywhere just doesn't want the phone function to be used. He still wants the service, just the inability to make phone calls. I understand why he wants to. He would be able to give his wife the piece of mind of not being able to talk on the phone while driving while still being able to have the capabilities of having internet everywhere, i.e., more places than his iPod Touch.

To the OP:
Since I'm not familiar with what's available for jailbroken devices, I don't know if this is possible. My guess would be that it's not since I doubt many people are looking for this function.

Maybe you can buy a signal jammer for your car?

The only other option would be to put it in airplane mode when driving. At least this would remove the temptation of answering the phone since it won't be able to ring.

iblacklist offers this function... it's not the explicit function... but you can block all incoming calls and texts, and functionally, it works the same as not being able to use your phone.

Actually, now that I think about it, you may be able to still call or send texts while blocking incoming ones... so I guess it doesn't actually stop you from using the phone lol

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2