Blackra1n Jailbreak on 3.1.2 3Gs

threestarzrx7

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello all I am new so I will introduce myself. My name is Matt Bourguignon. I live in Daytona Beach, Florida. I am a student at Daytona State College. I have a 16GB iPhone 3Gs running on AT&T.

I just decided to jailbreak in the interest of having internet tethering. My AT&T 3G service is about 3 Mb/s but my home connection is only about 768kb/s. It made sense to have the iPhone available to use as a modem when I am simply tired of slow internet download speeds.

I used Blackra1n to jailbreak my iPhone and installed Cydia. In order to reboot my iPhone now I must connect to my computer and use Blackra1n to reboot the iPhone. I just got back from a two week trip to the north and am imagining the horror this would have been then. My first day saw issues with my iPhone on the AT&T network on Long Island and so I had to reboot. Needing my computer would have been a disaster as I don't bring a laptop on vacation!

Now I am wondering what my options are. PdaNet is a wonderful tethering app. I am actually posting this using PdaNet to get internet on my computer. I only really jailbroke for the one feature but I am mildly interested in playing with Cydia apps, customization (5 app springboard, etc.), and all that jazz. Can I fix my current jailbreak somehow so that I don't need Blackra1n to boot my iPhone every time? If not, is this just the reality of Blackra1n for OS 3.1.2/3Gs or do I just need to restore the iPhone and do the jailbreak over again (maybe I did something wrong/something went wrong?)

I am very new to jailbreaking. I wasn't even going to do it initially. I am fairly tech savvy and I can pick new things up pretty quick in a pinch or when otherwise motivated. I just need some advice and some direction in this case. I know that I don't know anyone here so I appreciate any helpful feedback I can get.

God bless,
-Matt

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If ur 4th digit in ur serial number is below a 4 u won't be a tethered jailbreak. That's only on the newer 3GS with a serial number with 4th digit a 4 or higher.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If you reset your iPhone while you were on holiday up north and you didn't have your computer with you, you don't need to do a tethered jb. Or did you get your story out of order and you j/b when you returned from the trip?

threestarzrx7

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I jailbroke after I got back. I was just imagining how tragic it would have been if I had jailbroken before. I also have a new issue. My wifi does not work. I know there's a wifi network here at my home. I even stood next to the router. iPhone does not see it.

-Matt

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You need the Wifi in order to install Cydia/Rock...but you can do the actual j/b without it. If there's another WiFi that you can connect to, you can always load Cydia when connected to it, after you've done the j/b at home. (Just be prepared to go straight home, or have a laptop with you, as you'll have to reboot right after...thus needing to run Blackra1n again.)

threestarzrx7

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
No no that's not it at all. My Wifi network here at home was fine. I checked to be sure it was up just in case and it was. It was not the network that was the problem it was the phone's Wifi tranceiver not seeing my network or any other network in range (there are as many as 3 addtl. networks in range of my home).

Anyway. I restored the iPhone. Since it's definitely a tethered jailbreak (I checked the model number) I am not going to jailbreak it again until something better comes along. For others considering jailbreaking their 3Gs requiring a tethered jailbreak, or experiencing problems with such, here is a list of the issues i encountered:

iPhone wifi dead
Need to re-jailbreak to reboot iPhone without restoring thru iTunes.
Lag in paging menus, scrolling, returning to home and launching apps.
Can not lock iPhone while in a call (hangs up if you try.)
Call screen will not automatically disappear when call ends.

That's all I can remember right now. I will just have to wait to explore the virtues of a jailbroken iPhone until these issues are resolved.

-Matt

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2