How to enable Internet Tethering on 3.1.2 with blackra1n

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sick of my Sprint Mobile Broadband so I thought I would figure out how to enable tethering on my AT&T iPhone again. So after doing a thorough search I found a bunch of stuff that didn't really help. So here's my quick and dirty guide.

*Jailbreak your iPhone with blackra1n
*Run the blackra1n app on your iPhone and run/install the blacksnow app (this unlocks your phone)
*Find and Install the modified AT&T IPCC profile from the benm site (can't post URL's yet)
*Reboot
*Turn on Tethering in Settings > General > Network > Tethering

If you have any issues PM me.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't trust the ben.m hack because there have been isolated incidents where that profile has caused random rebooting and resetting of networking settings, which is a problem for users stuck on a tethered jailbreak.

Honestly, I just said the hell with it and purchased MyWi, as it also broadcasts a Wi?Fi signal from my phone as well, creating a hotspot.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Really? I thought the PDAnet guys were charging a good amount for it?!

(I remember considering a purchase until I found out that it was like $20+!!)

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Paid for PDANet but ended up buying MyWi and uninstalling PDANet. It works much easier and seems to be faster. I really like MyWi because I can use it on any wireless computer. I don't have to have a client installed on the computer. I've had 4 computers connected to my iPhone before. Granted, it wasn't blazing, but the users could check their email on their laptops. No setup was necessary. Just turned on MyWi and it broadcast the SSID. I told the group what password to use and they connected.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
@Bengrimm
Do you think at some point when we have to restore our phones and reinstall pdanet we will lose our free version of it and have to pay to reinstall it? $30 is alot I didnt realize it was a paid app now until some posters said something.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
<-I was one ofthe a-holes who actually paid the $30 for it, and 4 days layer, discovered that MyWi worked better and faster. :|

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Here's the problem with that theory, Jeff. If you want it to tether like it's supposed to, then call AT&T, talk to their CEO and convince him to allow tethering on their network. THEN, start forking over $20+ a month for that ability.

Until then, it's best to use the applications created and designed to MASK the fact that you're using obscene amounts of data in ways that you're not opposed to, an more importantly - these apps are saving you money. Tons of money... so maybe we should set our sights to a more dependible, economic and realistic option, no?

Keep in mind - on AT&T, you're NOT 'supposed to' tether. They had Apple disable it for a reason.

Hence the reason it's DISABLED - because... to reiterate... we ARENT 'supposed to' tether. On AT&T, at least.

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree with what you're saying. AT&T has screwed me at every turn. They already charged me for the extra data and I called and complained. I told them that they had no right to charge me by the kb because they didn't have a tethering plan to offer me. I went on to tell them that it's ridiculous how slow they have been with expanding their network to handle the services they already offer that I pay for. I also mentioned that if they didn't stop screwing me at every turn, I would be moving to another network once that network has the iPhone. The rep freaked out and put a note on my account saying that I have a 20GB monthly cap for tethering. I have no problem paying for tethering as a mobile broadband plan costs $60 a month. $30 is cheap for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2