I'm used Pwnage tool 3.1.4 to create a custom ipsw for my 3G S but I'm unable to restore it to my 3G S phone. I get error #1600 when I try to do it in DFU mode and error #1604 in recovery mode. The original ipsw came from iTunes so I know it hasn't been tampered with and I can flash the phone with it without any issues.
    I've used Pwnage tool to jb my old 3G phone without issues in the past. For some reason it isn't working on my 3G S. Am I missing something?

Thank you!

J.
    12-29-2009 10:52 AM
    Yes. Why are you putting it into DFU mode? All you have to do is connect your iPhone to iTunes. When it asks if you want to upgrade, say no.

Now click on your iPhone "Summary" tab. Hold Shift (Option if you're on a Mac) and left-click "Restore".

Navigate it to the ipsw file that PwnageTool created, select that file, and voil.
    12-29-2009 01:41 PM
    You mean without even putting it into restore mode? I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

J.
    12-29-2009 01:57 PM
    No problem.
    12-29-2009 02:11 PM
    Believe, you phone has to be already JB before you can install a custom firmware because phone won't accept any unsigned code. Thus, you need to first JB with Blackra1n the you could restore with the custom firmware.
    12-29-2009 04:54 PM
    That's a very good point. If I remember correctly, your iPhone had to be previously jailbroken at least once in order to be able to run Pwnage Tools ipsw through successfully. I do believe that they mention that on the dev-teams blog as well, correct?
    12-29-2009 05:08 PM
    Also, Pwnage tool does not support the new bootloader, are you sure your 3GS does not have the new bootloader?
    12-29-2009 05:20 PM
    Also, Pwnage tool does not support the new bootloader, are you sure your 3GS does not have the new bootloader?
    How do I figure that out?

Thanks!
    12-29-2009 07:50 PM
    Okay - when did you buy your 3G[s]? Is it new, or refurbished?
    12-29-2009 07:53 PM
    No problem.
    That didn't work. Got error #1604.
    What does this message mean:
    "Verifying iPhone restore with Apple"

I don't recall seeing it while restoring ipsw's on my old 3G and EDGE phones. Is that something new?

Thanks!

J.
    12-29-2009 07:53 PM
    When did you buy your 3G[s] and was it new or refurbished?
    12-29-2009 07:55 PM
    When did you buy your 3G[s] and was it new or refurbished?
    About two weeks ago. It's brand new.
    12-29-2009 08:48 PM
    Okay, you will HAVE to jailbreak your phone with blackra1n, however, it will be a tethered jailbreak.

TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G[s], then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G[s], that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.
    12-29-2009 10:19 PM
    Okay, you will HAVE to jailbreak your phone with blackra1n, however, it will be a tethered jailbreak.

TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G[s], then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G[s], that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.
    Thanks! In this case I will just have to wait. Having to run blackra1n every time I need to reboot the phone is not desirable. I'm also concerned about the instabilities with using blackra1n that many are complaining about.
    12-30-2009 01:49 PM
    ADDITIONAL NOTES:
    For some, the new blackra1n HACKTIVATED jailbreak was causing problems with Wi-Fi, YouTube, and Push Notifications. Here is a quick guide on how to fix these problems.

WiFi
    1. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings, then click "OK"
    2. Reboot your iPhone, when it comes back on WiFi should be fixed, but next time you reboot you have to do this again.*

YouTube and Push Notifications for "hacktivated" iPhones.*

1. Go to Cydia
    2. Tap Manage at the bottom
    3. Tap Sources
    4. Tap edit in the right hand corner
    5. Tap add.
    6. Type cydia.iphoneil.net*
    7. Tap done
    8. Search for "PushFix" and tap on the first result
    9. Install then confirm
    10. Reboot your iPhone.
    12-30-2009 01:53 PM
    That covers the blackra1n issues.

and try only mainly apply to people who hacktivate their iPhones ("activate" it with a SIM card other than the official carriers).

If you use the official SIM card that came with the phone, these issues don't apply.
    12-30-2009 01:55 PM
    Thank you again for the info! I'm still not keen on the idea of having to "make it rain" every time I have to reboot the phone or if the battery runs out. I really miss Intelliscreen - too bad it's not available in the app store. I also love being able to SSH/SFTP into the phone but I guess I'll just have to wait until better hacks are available.

J.
    12-30-2009 05:27 PM
    I dunno about you, but I don't reboot the phone often enough for that to be a serious consideration. I've put Blackra1n on a small thumb drive I wasn't using for anything else and just keep it in my wallet for emergencies so anyone's computer can save me in an emergency.
    12-31-2009 12:32 AM
    I dunno about you, but I don't reboot the phone often enough for that to be a serious consideration. I've put Blackra1n on a small thumb drive I wasn't using for anything else and just keep it in my wallet for emergencies so anyone's computer can save me in an emergency.
    Thanks but I'm still not convinced that that's the way to go. I use the phone for business and need it to work reliably. I'll just have to live without Intelliscreen for now.
    12-31-2009 11:13 AM
    Do the research yourself. Reboot right now and then note when you have to reboot again. Could be 3 weeks from now.
    12-31-2009 12:05 PM
    Do the research yourself. Reboot right now and then note when you have to reboot again. Could be 3 weeks from now.
    Thank you but there is no need for research. I've been using iPhones for about two years now and I know how often I reboot my phones. Sometimes things don't work quite as expected and a reboot is required. I'm simply not interested in this incomplete solution

J.
    12-31-2009 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD