My iPhone 3GS Jailbreak isn't working properly

bmaniara92

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I purchased an iPhone 3GS today. I'm on a Windows 7 PC. I went into iTunes, pressed Shift Restore, and installed the 3.1.2 firmware that I got from felixbruns. I downloaded the latest blackra1n from geohot's website to jailbreak it. I turned it off. When I turned it back on, I had a problem. I had the iTunes logo on my screen and I couldn't turn it back on unless I re-jailbroke it. I thought that was only supposed to happen with the 3rd Generation iPod Touch. What should I do? I don't want to re-jailbreak it every time it turns off. Also, I noticed something different about the latest version of geohot's blackra1n. Icy is no longer on it. It shows Cydia, Rock, and Sn0w.

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
With the newest blackra1n you don't have to do anything with the firmware just plug in and go for it.

Although i did it on a mac so it could be different.

bmaniara92

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I used the latest Blackra1n. But why is it tethered? I thought that the only tethered one was for the 3rd generation iPod Touch. I'm using an iPhone 3GS that I bought today. When I turn it off, I can't turn it back on unless I jailbreak it again using Blackra1n.

Stephxieh

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There have been people having issues with it, is it perhaps it wasn't unbricked at the store? have you activated it yourself before attempting the jailbreak?

It took me about 4 tries on my 3G for the blackra1n to stick but the update was supposed to cure that.

bmaniara92

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
There have been people having issues with it, is it perhaps it wasn't unbricked at the store? have you activated it yourself before attempting the jailbreak?

It took me about 4 tries on my 3G for the blackra1n to stick but the update was supposed to cure that.

They activated the phone for me at the store. When I brought it home, I jailbroke it successfully. I thought it was supposed to be untethered, but my new iPhone 3GS is tethered. I successfully jailbroke it with Blackra1n, but I'm just annoyed that it's tethered.

bmaniara92

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Any reason as to why my friend's iPhone 3GS has an untethered 3.1.2 jailbreak that I did for him, while my iPhone 3GS has a tethered 3.1.2 jailbreak?

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Any reason as to why my friend's iPhone 3GS has an untethered 3.1.2 jailbreak that I did for him, while my iPhone 3GS has a tethered 3.1.2 jailbreak?

You have the new bootrom while your friend has the old one. Supposely,they went out in October. Look at 4th and 5th number of serial number on box. If you are 40 and up, your have tethered phone.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TETHERED JAILBREAK!!!

Do a search for "tethered jailbreak"!

If this is a new 3G, then it can still be jailbroken or unlocked, but you just can't ever let the battery die, or reboot the iPhone when the iPhone is not near a computer.

Why?

The phone is new. Apple updated the hardware on newer models. Ultimately, when you get the "Connect to iTunes" message, DO NOT RESTORE.

Connect the iPhone to the computer, spend 30 seconds, run Blackra1n RC3/4, RE-jailbreak, and that's it.

It takes less than a minute.

ALSO, being that this is a new iPhone 3G, that requires a tethered jailbreak, I also suggest getting a battery case.

A good one is "Case-Mate Fuel" (google it) but it's ugly as sin. It will however, act as a case AND a charger. Or you could go to BestBuy an pick up a "InCase PowerSlider" case.

That, and a car charger. That way the iPhone never goes off. If you have a laptop, that's ideal/superb.

Let me know how that goes.

Also, I have the untethered 3G as well, there are tons of people who do.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Having just had to replace my iPhone with the new version requiring the tethered jailbreak, let me ask a question, cause I'm still a bit unclear.

I j/b in the usual fashion using Blackra1n...I get everything set up like it used to be on my old iPhone (that had battery issues or I would never have given it up!)...the worst happens and I have to reset. So I connect to the closest computer, which will detect an iPhone in DTFU mode and ask to restore. I ignore this and do the Blackra1n thing again...(here comes the actual question)...is everything still like it was before I reset, or must I re-do all the j/b stuff again?

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
From what I believe just plug it in and click make it rain. You will be all done after that and be up and running. It should be like it was before you reset.

Dunwiin116

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
another problem

Hi previously jailbroken my iphone with Blackra1n.

But now my iphone 3g will not get out of recovery mode, so I tried solving the issue by rebooting the phone with Blackra1n but the phone get stuck at the Geohot Blackra1n image and will stay there until it turns itself automatically.

I have also tried restoring the iphone through Itunes but that won't finish either.

Do you have any solutions?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
DFU RESTORE

Try the steps listed below, but make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes before attempting to do this.

Put the iPhone into DFU mode so you can do an iTunes firmware restore follow these steps:

Step One
Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac or PC.

Step Two
Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three
After exactly 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until iTunes pops up with a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

The iPhone screen will remain black.

NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!

Step Four
Download from iTunes and install the latest firmware (3.1.2/7D11) and install it. Then, when it's done, simply either restore it from a previously created backup, or set it up as a new iPhone and re-sync all of your stuff back onto it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh