Awesome new Task Manager - Can close app too!

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
ctt1wbw; said:
Yeah, but if you have 7 open apps on ProSwitcher, you still have to swipe 7 up to 7 times to get to the last one, which is about the same number of swipes if you didn't have this app installed.

I'm beginning to think everyone is caught up in the multitasking hype to realize that this is just plain stupid.

I have 11 pages of apps so your scenario doesn't hold water. Plus this is about quickly closing and activating background running apps. If I have to scroll thru 9 pages of apps to get to AOL radio then run it then turn of bacgrounding is much more steps than running the task manager from any home screen and flip thru the two maybe three running apps is so much more convienient. This isnexactly how the Palm Pre webOS works and has been given kudos for it's managing of background apps.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
After messing with this... it's cool I like it a lot!

Having a weird problem... phone is always open when i open the switcher... any ideas? Or is that just how it is.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
If the apps don't continue to run or refresh in the background, then like ctt stated, um not seeing the point of it. Now if the apps did continue to run and refresh while inside this program them it would be cool.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
After messing with this... it's cool I like it a lot!

Having a weird problem... phone is always open when i open the switcher... any ideas? Or is that just how it is.

Phone, mail, safari and the iPod player will run in the background, safari and the ipod after you have first used them after restarting the phone.

That's just how it goes.

Danazman

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
This makes sense in a way, but the apps aren't running in the background. I put SimplyTweet on the ProSwitcher list for an hour and it didn't run. I had to open it and refresh it, so in a way the same amount of time has gone by to actually use the app.

I guess its a two-edged sword.... in your case, the app wasn't actually running.... this is a PRO in regard to battery drain. The CON is just that... the app had to refresh.

In my case, I will use Cydia as an example.... I have waited close to 30 seconds to it to open... OMG!!!! Drives me nuts!!!! Now on ProSwitcher.... it's up and loaded! No waiting!

It pays to be devil's advocate sometimes... makes for good conversation and debate!

ONE MORE THING!!!!

It was mentioned by someone that categories crashed on them when putting this app into one.... I have another dilema.... CATEGORIES WON'T EVEN OPEN for me!

Like it was stated.... this is a beta version.... I will shoot them an email explaining this.

Danazman

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
Phone, mail, safari and the iPod player will run in the background, safari and the ipod after you have first used them after restarting the phone.

That's just how it goes.

I have been told here that you can turn off the toggle in proswticher settings not to show default apps, like the ones mentioned above.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
can anyone tell me other than the visual effects is this better/worse than Kirikae? I have Kirikae installed and I love it. It is VERY stable and it is always being updated by the programmer. The program is contantly running in the background and is very simple to use.

It sounds like with this new program, you actually have to "background the app" whereas with kirikae you just double tap within a program to return to the home screen. Does this new program operate the same way?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been told here that you can turn off the toggle in proswticher settings not to show default apps, like the ones mentioned above.

Yes, you can have it so that ProSwitcher does not show "default apps". I thought you were asking if they always run in the background as well ( which they do ), but they can be hidden.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
anyone notice that certain apps don't always show up in "card" form? Bank of America, when I double tap, doesn't appear with the other card; just a blank slot where it should be. Any solutions for this? I have mainly noticed it with programs that run on the internet but I am not sure if that is the cause or issue specific...

E4LIFE

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I tried it,tried it again, tried it again and again. This app just doesn't do it for me. I can hit the home button, pinch the screen for overboard, select my screen,and select my app..DONE IN 4 steps. It doesn't make sense to open proSwitcher and flip 11 screens over just to use a app. It looks good and works smooth, but I'm just not feeling this one. I'll keep playing around just in case I'm missing something.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I personally love this app but I can see how others don't see the use for it. If the iPhone kept all open apps running in the background natively instead of having to hold the Home key down to turn on backgrounder, this would be an even more powerful and necessary app.

Keep in mind this app is still in beta. Maybe the idiots at Apple will take notice and implement some of these ideas in the next iPhone OS........I'm not holding my breath on that last comment. :D

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
Based on what I have been reading, I don't think people really appreciate or even understand the usefullness of this app. It is not a
matter of scrolling thru app pages or using overboard (which I also
use). Proswitcher is a task manager and since most arent
used to running multiple apps at once aside from the standard apps, I think that the benefits of having a true task manager has become lost becuase of the native
functionality of the iPhone. However
once you jailbreak and run apps like aol radio, pandora, MLB 2009, etc and you have a ton of app pages, killing apps quickly is a great
convienience.

I don't know, maybe it's my 8 years of
using Windows Mobile and having the ability to term
apps quickly that I am a bit more appreciative of the combo of backgrounder and proswitcher.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Very cool program. My wife has the palm pixi and I always liked the card view. Anyone else having problems with certain programs not showing up??

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Very cool program. My wife has the palm pixi and I always liked the card view. Anyone else having problems with certain programs not showing up??

BeeJiveIM seems to disappear at random. Not sure if the program is crashing or if it's a bug in ProSwitcher.

JNGold

Sep 12, 2006
Visit site
Proswitcher has just been updated in Cydia. Now apps shown in card mode can have badges. For example, if your Mail app is running in the background and you receive new mail, when you fire up ProSwitcher you?ll see the number of new emails at the top right of the app?s card.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
this update appears to have fixed my issues with cards not appearing! fingers crossed! great program, I would gladly pay a few bucks for this.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
this update appears to have fixed my issues with cards not appearing! fingers crossed! great program, I would gladly pay a few bucks for this.

E4LIFE

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
OKAYYY NOW I'M COOKING WITH GREASE!!!!!! Once I went in an fine-tuned some settings between proswitcher and backgrounder, I can now see why everyone loves this app. Please forgive me I graduated school 2 days late...so it takes me a couple of days before it kicks in(ha ha).